Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2019, 06:25 PM   #1
Jeff000
Electrician

How do you decide to shut down or keep the tank going?

I have a 330g starfire glass tank, huge sump, and expensive lights and flow. Everything has been running for 6 years.

I have beautiful fish and a really nice anemone that I love.

But it seems like I've never actually sat and enjoyed it. But I can hardly imagine not having it.

Lately I've just been thinking about how much money I'd save if I shut it down. But at the same time I keep thinking one day the tank will be what I want it to be again.

So how do you decide, is it one of those things where you'll just know the breaking point, or is it a logical thing?

Sigh.

Jeff000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2019, 06:31 PM   #2
cboltsd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff000 View Post
I have a 330g starfire glass tank, huge sump, and expensive lights and flow. Everything has been running for 6 years.

I have beautiful fish and a really nice anemone that I love.

But it seems like I've never actually sat and enjoyed it. But I can hardly imagine not having it.

Lately I've just been thinking about how much money I'd save if I shut it down. But at the same time I keep thinking one day the tank will be what I want it to be again.

So how do you decide, is it one of those things where you'll just know the breaking point, or is it a logical thing?

Sigh.
Sounds like you enjoy the busy work that comes with owning the tank. If thats the case, why stop?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

cboltsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2019, 06:42 PM   #3
lolgranny
The DQ King

Flip a coin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 40g RIP. 300g system, 180g display.
lolgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2019, 06:44 PM   #4
lolgranny
The DQ King

If you’ve got a tank you don’t enjoy then why have it? Would you have a dog you don’t look at and just have to spend money and take care of? If I had a tank I never looked at I’d take it down... then again I’ve had tanks for 20 years and everyone but 1 has been in a main area of my house. The one that wasn’t got no attention and was taken down.

Have any thoughts on moving it?

Unread 01/13/2019, 06:53 PM   #5
Jeff000
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolgranny View Post
If you’ve got a tank you don’t enjoy then why have it? Would you have a dog you don’t look at and just have to spend money and take care of? If I had a tank I never looked at I’d take it down... then again I’ve had tanks for 20 years and everyone but 1 has been in a main area of my house. The one that wasn’t got no attention and was taken down.

Have any thoughts on moving it?

For sure it not being in a main area is part of the problem. Plan was to finish the basement around it, but lost my high paying job before that came to fruition and seems so far away still. And even then has went from it being a big gathering space with friends to a workout and kids tv area.

Moving it is near impossible, would need to cut it apart to get it out of the basement and no idea where I'd even put it.

Unread 01/13/2019, 06:55 PM   #6
Jeff000
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboltsd View Post
Sounds like you enjoy the busy work that comes with owning the tank. If thats the case, why stop?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
That's a thought I've had to. I could easily move that busy work to my laser or forge.

Unread 01/14/2019, 07:43 AM   #7
Fourstars
Registered Member.

I live in my man/fish cave and spend many hours in my arm chair planted a few feet from my tank with my little dog in my lap. It’s the main focal point of my life. I know, kind of sad.

I would say if it becomes more of a chore then an joy, and your life is so busy that you rearly spend a few hour in front of it, maybe it’s time to let it go. Once the kids move out, your wife has had enough of you and banishes you to the basement, and your at the point in your life you prefer talking to fish more then people. Then set up a new tank. Don’t worry, that time will come.

Fourstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2019, 08:43 AM   #8
BrianD
Sir Brian The Lenient

By far the biggest mistake I made in the hobby was putting my tank in an area of house I ended up not spending time in (my basement). It seemed the only time I was down there was to work on my tank. My vision of the basement as my primary hang-out spot didn't materialize. I took the tank down because I knew that wasn't going to change.

Current Tank Info: Empty
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2019, 09:11 AM   #9
gargoylenest
Registered Member

if you tired of the maintenance, you could always convert to freshwater or even vivarium, way less maintenance, something different to look at might revive the interest to look at it, and a better option to destroying the tank.

gargoylenest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2019, 10:08 AM   #10
journeyman
Registered Member

People enjoy their tanks in different ways. Some get the most out of sitting in front of their tanks and have other people do the maintenance, others love getting their hands wet and tinkering away. It doesn't matter where you get the most enjoyment from your tank, under the stands or in the display. Keep it up as long as you enjoy it. Take it down when you stop having fun.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2019, 01:39 PM   #11
Constantine
Registered Member

Quote:
Would you have a dog you don’t look at and just have to spend money and take care of?

Yes! Not me personally. But yeah, nobody gets rid of their furry animals after they "become part of the family". Obviously, some do... hence the pound. For the vast majority, if someone gets a dog or cat, they are there for life.

And then at the end, people spend 3-7k on dog medical expenses. Which could have been spent on a sweet reef aquarium.

I think that's the hard part of aquariums. Unless you have just one fish in there that you care about, the aquarium never ends. (except a crash) I had a freshwater tank for 9 years. I lost some fish and added some through that time frame. Then finally a Giant Danio, that hatched in my tank, passed on to the great lake in the sky. That's when I decided that tank was done...although it really just shrank from a 55 down to a 20 that I do zero maintenance on.

Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2019, 11:13 PM   #12
Jeff000
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoylenest View Post
if you tired of the maintenance, you could always convert to freshwater or even vivarium, way less maintenance, something different to look at might revive the interest to look at it, and a better option to destroying the tank.
I always figured fresh was more work. Seems like aways cleaning detritus out.

I guess if nothing else it'd be cheaper. Less lights, less flow, no salt.

Unread 01/14/2019, 11:46 PM   #13
FoxyFace
Registered Member

You have to decide if your tank is a hobby you enjoy. If reef keeping isn’t a hobby, it’s just a big, expensive chore.

FoxyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2019, 01:59 AM   #14
FSJGUY
Registered Member.

The problem for me is my two main display tsnk for fresh and salt water are in my bedroom. I have like 5 other tanks in the house.. one is a 92g corner bowfront fresh water.. Its actually almost 2x bigger then my main salt water tank at 55g its a hexagon.

Honestly i would prefer to have my salt water tank be in that 92g tank... But the thing is this.. I want my main tanks in my bedroom... I have a 135g 6 foot discus planted tank in my bedroom directly accross my bed so i can lay in bed and watch my discus all night long.. On the left of my bed i moved my night stand out of the way and put n
my 55g hexagon reef tank there.. So i can look foward or lay on my side and watch my tanks.

If i didnt have my tanks in my bedroom id probably get bored and not be into the hobby quite as much.. Id still do it but meh... The tanks downstairs i of course maintain weekly but i dont do much to them.. Kinda a set and forget it and they dont look nearly as good.. There nice looking but not as good at my two main tanks.

With a 300g tank i mimagine you proably have it in the basement. So if i had my main tank downstairs 2 levels id be kinda meh as well.

Sometimes i feel the trade off of not having such a large tank like some of you guys but still pretty big and being able to keep it in my room is better then having a 300 or 400g tank

FSJGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2019, 02:05 AM   #15
FSJGUY
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff000 View Post
I always figured fresh was more work. Seems like aways cleaning detritus out.

I guess if nothing else it'd be cheaper. Less lights, less flow, no salt.
hahaga... no. Been doing freshwater for 20 years.. been in salt for 4 months... reefing is 10x more work... not to mention the whole ich and velvet and brook diseases are a game killer for salt water.... Fresh water has no real diseases that can wipe out an entire tank like these on salt water.. and you can dose an entire display tank with meds and be rid of most diseases quite easily... Where in salt. you need qurantine tanks.. have to med for 30 days.. leave your tank fishless for 72 days.. and if you get coral itll screw it all up unless you have a tank for that to qunrintine it in for 72 days.

Trust me marine stuff is annoying as hell...
Fresh water you just dump your fish in.. put in a bunch of plants... drain 80% of the water every 2 weeks or so refill from the sink with conditioner and thays it.... You dont gravel vacuum a planted tank.. ever..

So yea wayyyyyy easier

FSJGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2019, 02:34 AM   #16
o2manyfish
Registered Member

When I was a kid I had model trains. The fun was building. Watching the trains go round and round...Not my thing.

My tanks have been the same thing. I keep building custom parts for this and that. My goal has always been to have a beautiful tank that I don't have to worry about.

I'm an addict (for fish/corals). Years ago I came home from a total wipe out (400g display) and didn't have the heart to get back in. I turned off the lights and everything else - Just let the return pump run and some heaters for almost 18 months. Then found out I had cancer, and decided I wanted a tank so I had something I enjoyed while I was miserable.

There are lots of things in our life that give us joy, as we get older the number of things that do seems to get smaller.

My current system is 1100g, and it's kickin butt. In Nov my Dad got sick and I had to go take care of my parents for 3.5 weeks. When I got back home -- Didn't lose a fish or a coral. It was so rewarding to know that I had built enough little gadgets to keep everything safe while I do other things beside worry about the tank.

If it's not your thing right now - Simplify it. Throw on an autofeeder, keep easier livestock and let the tank just be a tank in your home for awhile - rather than be the tank you always have to make time for.

Dave B

PS -- Here's the webcam of my tank so you know what I walked away from last month -
www.o2manyfish.com/webcam

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2019, 01:12 PM   #17
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

OP, I feel your pain. I found that when I had my "dream tank", a 300g SPS dominant system, I spent WAY more time working on/in the tank, that I didn't have any time to enjoy it. Ultimately, I got tired of not enjoying the hobby I LOVE, so I got rid of the tank (I also moved and couldn't take it with me). Now I have 40g that I truly enjoy and can't imagine going any larger than a 6 foot 180, and that may still be too big for me now.

Unread 01/15/2019, 01:47 PM   #18
lolgranny
The DQ King

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
OP, I feel your pain. I found that when I had my "dream tank", a 300g SPS dominant system, I spent WAY more time working on/in the tank, that I didn't have any time to enjoy it. Ultimately, I got tired of not enjoying the hobby I LOVE, so I got rid of the tank (I also moved and couldn't take it with me). Now I have 40g that I truly enjoy and can't imagine going any larger than a 6 foot 180, and that may still be too big for me now.

What did you have to do on a 300g that you don’t on a 40g?

I have 700g total(400gdisplay) sps tank and I spend maybe 20min 3 days a week cleaning glass and a hour to 2 once a week on skimmer/ water change(65g) / filter socks. Everyone tinkers with their tank so much rather then spending time and enjoying it. They don’t need as much attention as everyone make it out to be imo.

Unread 01/15/2019, 01:49 PM   #19
lolgranny
The DQ King

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
When I was a kid I had model trains. The fun was building. Watching the trains go round and round...Not my thing.

My tanks have been the same thing. I keep building custom parts for this and that. My goal has always been to have a beautiful tank that I don't have to worry about.

I'm an addict (for fish/corals). Years ago I came home from a total wipe out (400g display) and didn't have the heart to get back in. I turned off the lights and everything else - Just let the return pump run and some heaters for almost 18 months. Then found out I had cancer, and decided I wanted a tank so I had something I enjoyed while I was miserable.

There are lots of things in our life that give us joy, as we get older the number of things that do seems to get smaller.

My current system is 1100g, and it's kickin butt. In Nov my Dad got sick and I had to go take care of my parents for 3.5 weeks. When I got back home -- Didn't lose a fish or a coral. It was so rewarding to know that I had built enough little gadgets to keep everything safe while I do other things beside worry about the tank.

If it's not your thing right now - Simplify it. Throw on an autofeeder, keep easier livestock and let the tank just be a tank in your home for awhile - rather than be the tank you always have to make time for.

Dave B

PS -- Here's the webcam of my tank so you know what I walked away from last month -

I remember your loss, that was heartbreaking! I agree with you Dave, keep the tank going and get back at it later. It’s so much more if you were to completely tear it down. I couldn’t imagine not having mine.

Dave, glad to see yours is doing wonderful again!

Unread 01/15/2019, 02:04 PM   #20
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
What did you have to do on a 300g that you don’t on a 40g?

I have 700g total(400gdisplay) sps tank and I spend maybe 20min 3 days a week cleaning glass and a hour to 2 once a week on skimmer/ water change(65g) / filter socks. Everyone tinkers with their tank so much rather then spending time and enjoying it. They don’t need as much attention as everyone make it out to be imo.

EVERYTHING I did took longer. Feeding fish, cleaning the glass, equipment maintenance, etc. Sure, I have to do all the same things now, but on a MUCH smaller scale. What used to take most of my free time now takes just a few minutes a week.

Unread 01/15/2019, 02:23 PM   #21
lolgranny
The DQ King

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
EVERYTHING I did took longer. Feeding fish, cleaning the glass, equipment maintenance, etc. Sure, I have to do all the same things now, but on a MUCH smaller scale. What used to take most of my free time now takes just a few minutes a week.

I found my smaller tanks were so much more of a pain because of the water volume / small area to work with. People always want to tinker with things and chase numbers rather then enjoy their tanks a lot of the time.

Unread 01/16/2019, 12:59 AM   #22
Jeff000
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJGUY View Post
hahaga... no. Been doing freshwater for 20 years.. been in salt for 4 months... reefing is 10x more work... not to mention the whole ich and velvet and brook diseases are a game killer for salt water.... Fresh water has no real diseases that can wipe out an entire tank like these on salt water.. and you can dose an entire display tank with meds and be rid of most diseases quite easily... Where in salt. you need qurantine tanks.. have to med for 30 days.. leave your tank fishless for 72 days.. and if you get coral itll screw it all up unless you have a tank for that to qunrintine it in for 72 days.

Trust me marine stuff is annoying as hell...
Fresh water you just dump your fish in.. put in a bunch of plants... drain 80% of the water every 2 weeks or so refill from the sink with conditioner and thays it.... You dont gravel vacuum a planted tank.. ever..

So yea wayyyyyy easier
I haven't been doing anything at all with my tank though. Water change every 6-8 weeks. Top up my auto feeder every week. And clean glass every water change.

Fresh water seems like just algea all the time everywhere, and nothing to deal with it even.

Unread 01/16/2019, 01:04 AM   #23
Jeff000
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post

Dave B

That's beautiful.

My tank has been on autopilot for a long time.

Couple videos of what I have.
https://youtu.be/HKZe2LRnRrs

https://youtu.be/IJNUvWiBqU0

https://youtu.be/usQpukCPWXc

Unread 01/16/2019, 09:58 AM   #24
mickey204
Registered Member

This isn't directed completely at the OP as he may already have it exactly where he always wanted it....

I think a main issue we have as saltwater hobbyists is the fact we generally put our tanks in locations where its not a functional part of our lives every day. Meaning, either due to the home we acquired, living arrangements or the sheer size of the tank we get, we end up keeping them in basements, bedrooms or areas of the house where we don't live around it all day. Almost forgot the main factor some guys have to deal with - wive's not wanting it in their "feng shui" so it's automatically put downstairs....

Any younger enthusiasts living at home with parents (when I started) there was NO way it would be upstairs, it can only go downstairs.

When I got married, and got my own older home, I built a gorgeous 220G acrylic Drop off reef tank myself, did it all fancy in my basement but then after a year I was like "well....I go to work and the lights are off, I come home late and the lights are off, the only time I enjoy it is on weekends or when we have company over to show it off.

I pretty much had this beautiful custom tank just living a separate life from me.

So I said "frick it" and moved everything to my shop. I now spend my whole day looking at the tank as it's in my office, and I'm currently building (slowest build in the world) a new 400Gal starfire display setup as a wall between the waiting room and my office as part of the wall.

I know I'm blessed with opportunity to have it here in my office, and many don't have that choice, but I think if many fish hobbyists either dialed back how many tanks they have and focused on only one tank, in a prime location of their house, that they can see and enjoy all the time you would see far less burnt out fish keeping hobbyists, or people who lack interest over time.

We just want that tank so bad or the opportunity to have one, we accept any option to get it, and many people have to barter with their significant other to get it, and that usually means its not in the functional living space you spend most of your time in at home.

Hope that makes sense. haha

So my advice, would be to decide if the location of the tank is really the best place, and consider other options of where it could go, so it becomes a functional piece of your life again like a flat screen TV.

If you decide to move it, a few things will happen, you'll spark the creativity and ingenuity we all love with new builds, and it may not only rekindle your passion for the hobby but make it a source of enjoyment for everyone as it's in a better location.

When your tank is front and center for everyone all the time, it tends to force you to always be involved in it as you always want it looking tip-top for the family and company.

However, if you have a kick *** display tank (I recall it being a 330gal starfire tank) in the living room and it's already everything you could hope for in location and size then hit the local fish store and see if you can reignite the interest. If not, it may be time to consider moving on to another hobby or shutting it down and see if you miss it at all in a year. If you don't miss it, sell the equipment and focus your interests on something else.

There is nothing wrong with moving on. You're already in a special league when you have a well running 330Gal tank for 6 years. It may be an issue where you came, saw, conquered and it's time for something else.

If you do shut it down, I would suggest having a photographer come by for professional shots of the tank, maybe get a good underwater macro lense/case for your phone and get some great shots of the inside of the tank and corals/fish. Then you can make a beautiful print you can frame and put up on the wall. Then you'll always be able to see what you accomplished and have something to remember it.

mickey204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 11:31 AM   #25
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

It's hard to say. each tank and person is different. I've had FW and SW tanks throughout my life. Got my first tank when I was probably around 10 years old. Now at 57, I'm tankless.

My last tank, 400G, I had for about 10 years. Like others, I had some pitfalls. Waking up in the middle of the night to dead silence and finding my fish gasping for air. Fix the problem only to wake the next morning and find most of the fish didn't make it. Tank kind of went on auto pilot for about a year before I tried again.

Other/old interest/hobbies came back that took up a lot more time and resources and had me traveling away from home on the weekends. ( sand dune toys, off road toys, building custom bikes and cars)

So I finally decided one day to tear it al down. It was hard to do and a big decision between my wife and myself, but we did it.

Do I miss my tank? Yes and no. I miss the beauty of it. I miss the design and building of it. I miss the learning as new things happen in the tank. I don't miss the spending aspect of it.

Will I ever have another one? Probably. I still come here and look around from time to time. I still look thru the for sale ads at times. But right now, my other hobbies are taking up my time and money.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote