Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09/13/2017, 12:31 PM   #1
StinkinTuna
Registered Member

Chiller pump plumbed to 'outline' of chiller ok?

Planning on chiller plumbing and had a question if this is ok or not:

Is it allright to have the chiller pump suck water through the chiller instead of pumping water into it? In other words chiller pump hooked up to the outline of chiller?

My thoughts are to have the inlet of the chiller come from a split from the inlet to the sump. This would feed directly to the chiller and then put the chiller pump into the sump return chamber. The main return would then pump the chilled water back to main tank along with regular sump return water.

Doable, recommended or aint gonna work?

StinkinTuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2017, 01:24 PM   #2
scuzy
Registered Member

Not sure might run into problems I just never seen it setup like that.

scuzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2017, 01:47 PM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Pprobably not recommended. Most pump manufacturers advise against having 'friction' on the suction side.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 265 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2017, 04:05 PM   #4
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Also generally a bad idea to hard plumb to drain lines.

I like your theory but it should not matter. The tank water will be circulating quickly enough through the sump in a typical system that the temp will be well equalized. Plus it might not be a good idea to have the coldest water dumping right on your livestock anyways, every time the chiller kicks on or off. You want stability in the display.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2017, 05:44 PM   #5
thegrun
Registered Member

That's a big no! Cavitation will ruin your pump.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2017, 06:46 PM   #6
StinkinTuna
Registered Member

Ok thanks everyone, ill plumb it a more traditional way. Sounds like using the pump to suck water through the chiller is a no go. Thx!

StinkinTuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2017, 01:50 PM   #7
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkinTuna View Post
Planning on chiller plumbing and had a question if this is ok or not:

Is it allright to have the chiller pump suck water through the chiller instead of pumping water into it? In other words chiller pump hooked up to the outline of chiller?

My thoughts are to have the inlet of the chiller come from a split from the inlet to the sump. This would feed directly to the chiller and then put the chiller pump into the sump return chamber. The main return would then pump the chilled water back to main tank along with regular sump return water.

Doable, recommended or aint gonna work?
I wouldn't. Most pumps are not self-priming which means if air gets in there you will have a pump and a chiller running dry probably destroying both. You always want the chamber in a chiller full of water before it is turned on.

windlasher is offline   Reply With Quote