Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2017, 03:06 PM   #1
Mojoman
Registered Member

Need help with Plumbing Tank/Sump...

Setting up new 125 G Tank with Sump. Its pre-drilled with 1'1" and 2-1/2" bulkheads. Cant redrill so wondering if it will be fine to:

1/2' for return pump to tank
1" for syphone flow back into sump
1/2" for emergency lien to sump (w/flow meter to notify me if flow increases

Or have batter use of the three bulkheads?

Thanks!

Mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 04:06 PM   #2
James404
I <3 Acros

Sounds like you got a good plan, just make sure the 1/2" emergency can handle the flow if you have a failure on your main drain.

Unread 09/23/2017, 04:21 PM   #3
mpderksen
Registered Member

Biggest pipe as emergency. In your case, the 1”. It should also have the fewest bends and no screen that can plug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mpderksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 05:05 PM   #4
Mojoman
Registered Member

I know the emergency is typically larger but 1/2" drain line isn't going to provide sufficient flow (charts say 200PGH) for a 125g tank...so figured use the 1" for main drain makes more sense to balance flow.

I am putting Flow Meters on all lines so I can tell if main drain starts to slow down or if emergency drain starts to increase.

Mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2017, 11:12 AM   #5
mpderksen
Registered Member

Need help with Plumbing Tank/Sump...

If you already know the 1/2” isn’t enough, then you are going into this knowing you are building a system without a true emergency drain. The entire point is to take 100% of the flow in case the primary gets a snail in it, or other blockage. Flow meters with text alerts are great, if you’re home to unblock them. Maybe set an Apex to shut down the primary pump if the emergency pipe flows too much?
I have 2 thoughts. A 1/2” at full flow moves a lot of water. Since the real reason to enter the sump at all is just to feed the skimmer and balance the temp (assuming your heater is down there), maybe that’s actually sufficient. Thought 2 is: totally not required the you use one of the bulkheads for the return flow. On my last tank I split it and had it come over the top. That could solve your problem right there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mpderksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2017, 10:06 PM   #6
Lsufan
Registered Member

I would go over the back with the return & use both 1/2" bulkheads as emergencies. It's not ideal because it is so easy to clog a 1/2" pipe & if one clogs u would still flood if the syphon gets fully clogged. In your case I would definitely keep the two 1/2 emergencies dry & not let a trickle go through them. If they stay dry they are less likely to get clogged & if your syphon gets clogged they should get u by until u notice what's going on. Using the 1" as a syphon & only one 1/2" for the emergency is asking for a flood.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote