Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2017, 10:21 AM   #51
DBR_reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Yes. But I feed it back to the fish and the detritus caught in it is consumed or scattered again. It's a closed food loop but a very energetic one.
Got to love "dirty" systems- they grow coral like nobodies business- as long as you have a mature system and don't overfeed.

DBR_reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2017, 10:29 AM   #52
karimwassef
Registered Member

Who are you calling dirty?

I'm as clean as a natural reef... I did overfeeding intentionally for years- no mechanical filtration except protein skimming and ATS (not even socks).

I always felt guilty killing all the life in my exports. I now honestly believe that the key to a successful reef is fish poop. So, like any good farmer, I now collect it, use it to cultivate food, and feed it back to my livestock. In the process, the biofauna (and some poop) that thrives in that cycle feed the reef.

Dirty! Humph!

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2017, 06:06 AM   #53
platax88
Registered Member

automatic mechanical filter

Hey there. I'm thinking of building a automatic mechanical filter just like u did for a 330 gal. I'd love to use coolant paper but the source seems to be eBay and they want like $35 for shipping. How has the batting worked out for you? How long do you get out of your 14 yard spools before having to change them. I love the fact that the coolant paper comes in long spools and that it can filter down to a much finer micron. I'm a bit torn because I think that the media would dictate the design and don't know which to go with. Any help is appreciated!

Unread 03/26/2017, 11:33 AM   #54
DBR_reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by platax88 View Post
Hey there. I'm thinking of building a automatic mechanical filter just like u did for a 330 gal. I'd love to use coolant paper but the source seems to be eBay and they want like $35 for shipping. How has the batting worked out for you? How long do you get out of your 14 yard spools before having to change them. I love the fact that the coolant paper comes in long spools and that it can filter down to a much finer micron. I'm a bit torn because I think that the media would dictate the design and don't know which to go with. Any help is appreciated!
I can't really help you with this dilemma too much, as I have only used the batting, but it does hold up- I am still on my first cut- I have not bothered to make cut any more from the leftover material, because having multiple when you only change it every month or two doesn't make a lot of sense. I have mine on a 260g system, if that helps. But it obviously does not polish like filter paper will, and I think the pore size gets larger with time. It also stretches over time.

I really like the coolant or milk filter paper idea, being that it is disposable and cheap. If you go that route I would probably use a float switch as it will clog faster and you don't want to waste material. I can tell you that the rollermat is suppose to use 60 micron paper, and I would guess you would not want to go much below 50. I was thinking about using this http://www.farmandranchdepot.com/far...ll-Case-6.html I would contact the manufacture, but I would bet it is 40-50 microns. shipping is $10. I would also consider that ebay sellers 100 micron paper. shipping is expensive, but if you bought it infrequently and in larger quantities it wouldn't be to bad. I wouldn't know where to look for it locally, but you might try asking large machinery mechanics where they get it, or if you can buy some from them.

Unread 03/26/2017, 12:16 PM   #55
TheFishGuy31
Registered Member

I bought my filter paper through eBay. It's an expensive upfront cost, but I think my 75 yard roll is going to last a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheFishGuy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2017, 01:58 PM   #56
platax88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBR_reef View Post
I can't really help you with this dilemma too much, as I have only used the batting, but it does hold up- I am still on my first cut- I have not bothered to make cut any more from the leftover material, because having multiple when you only change it every month or two doesn't make a lot of sense. I have mine on a 260g system, if that helps. But it obviously does not polish like filter paper will, and I think the pore size gets larger with time. It also stretches over time.

I really like the coolant or milk filter paper idea, being that it is disposable and cheap. If you go that route I would probably use a float switch as it will clog faster and you don't want to waste material. I can tell you that the rollermat is suppose to use 60 micron paper, and I would guess you would not want to go much below 50. I was thinking about using this http://www.farmandranchdepot.com/far...ll-Case-6.html I would contact the manufacture, but I would bet it is 40-50 microns. shipping is $10. I would also consider that ebay sellers 100 micron paper. shipping is expensive, but if you bought it infrequently and in larger quantities it wouldn't be to bad. I wouldn't know where to look for it locally, but you might try asking large machinery mechanics where they get it, or if you can buy some from them.
Thanks! So you are washing out the batting or just disposing? I bought some batting just so I can get a prooof of concept going but paper will be the way I go. I'll just bite the bullet and pay the eBay shipping

Unread 03/26/2017, 02:00 PM   #57
platax88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishGuy31 View Post
I bought my filter paper through eBay. It's an expensive upfront cost, but I think my 75 yard roll is going to last a few years.

Ok I'll bite the bullet on shipping. Do you know if there is a way to cut down the rolls to size? I need 9" wide. If it's easy then I could even buy the 18" roll and cut in half for two rolls. This would set me up!

Unread 03/26/2017, 02:08 PM   #58
DBR_reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks! So you are washing out the batting or just disposing? I bought some batting just so I can get a prooof of concept going but paper will be the way I go. I'll just bite the bullet and pay the eBay shipping

I wash it, I've probably washed it 20 times

Unread 03/26/2017, 02:09 PM   #59
DBR_reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok I'll bite the bullet on shipping. Do you know if there is a way to cut down the rolls to size? I need 9" wide. If it's easy then I could even buy the 18" roll and cut in half for two rolls. This would set me up!

A band saw will work if you have a large enough one

Unread 03/26/2017, 02:15 PM   #60
platax88
Registered Member

Quote:
A band saw will work if you have a large enough one

I don't but I do have a very fine tooth dovetail handsaw. I could get 3 100 yard rolls out of a large one but I'd be screwed I'd it doesn't cut down. They have an 80 micron roll which should work well. Thoughts ?

Unread 03/26/2017, 02:16 PM   #61
TheFishGuy31
Registered Member

Quote:

It would be similar to trying to cut a roll of those blue shop towels, so I doubt you'd get a clean cut trying to cut the full roll in half.

If you pull off 15-20 feet you could easily cut a single layer with scissors, though the end result will depend on how well you can cut down the middle.

TheFishGuy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2017, 05:06 PM   #62
DBR_reef
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't but I do have a very fine tooth dovetail handsaw. I could get 3 100 yard rolls out of a large one but I'd be screwed I'd it doesn't cut down. They have an 80 micron roll which should work well. Thoughts ?

I think it should work fine, but I'm not sure. You could use large bread knife as well- the kind with the smooth serrations

Unread 03/26/2017, 07:16 PM   #63
platax88
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I've ordered a 100 yard, 80 micron, 28" roll which I will cut down to 3. I've also got some supplies and will start moding the sump tomorrow! Can't wait to say bye to filter socks. This is the one area of my system that is not automated and I slack on.... Like big time.

Unread 03/26/2017, 07:55 PM   #64
platax88
Registered Member

Does anyone know about how wide in diameter a full 100 yard paper roll is?

Unread 03/26/2017, 07:57 PM   #65
DBR_reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. I've ordered a 100 yard, 80 micron, 28" roll which I will cut down to 3. I've also got some supplies and will start moding the sump tomorrow! Can't wait to say bye to filter socks. This is the one area of my system that is not automated and I slack on.... Like big time.

Sweet! Good luck. You might also try asking the eBay seller how he cuts his- or ask him if he will cut it for you. He is clearly cutting larger rolls down, so he must have a good way

Unread 03/26/2017, 08:47 PM   #66
platax88
Registered Member

Quote:
Sweet! Good luck. You might also try asking the eBay seller how he cuts his- or ask him if he will cut it for you. He is clearly cutting larger rolls down, so he must have a good way

Great news! The seller is going to cut it for me. So far, he's awesome to deal with. Seller is preconfilter for anyone who's interested

Unread 03/26/2017, 08:48 PM   #67
DBR_reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Great news! The seller is going to cut it for me. So far, he's awesome to deal with. Seller is preconfilter for anyone who's interested

Awesome- did he happen to tell you how he does it?

Unread 03/26/2017, 08:49 PM   #68
platax88
Registered Member

No he didn't. I'll ask him at some point and report back.

Unread 04/02/2017, 07:25 PM   #69
Chicago
Registered Member

tagging..

Current Tank Info: 500 gal starphire, reef sps dominated, 40 plus fish, 300 gallon sump in basement below, reeftek calcium reactor, reeftek kalkwasser reactor, lifeguard fluidized filter for rowaphose, 4 400MH 10k xm, 2 160 vho super attinic, DYI 50 gallon denitrator
Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 04:11 PM   #70
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

My roller filter has been running for a few months now it might be the best piece of equipment on the system now, just a few suggestions I have learned make a adjustable float , they do such a great job in removing ditrus it becomes a good way to control nutrient level buy the dwell time in the water.second mine needed a way to diffuse the water some so it wasn't directly hitting the filter media, I use a cheap Chinese dc 3rpm motor directly threw the float switch and small dcpower adapter, I used the felt from Walmart and cut and sewed it , should last all year on 40.00$

kenneth wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2017, 01:00 PM   #71
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

My roller mat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Unread 09/24/2017, 03:25 PM   #72
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth wolfe View Post
My roller mat

Updated drive , all ebay parts less than $60.00

Unread 09/24/2017, 03:32 PM   #73
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Quote:
Awesome- did he happen to tell you how he does it?

One suggestion is to wet the roll and freeze it , cut with a bandsaw. Just my thaught, I've cut rolls of paper on my chop saw before.

Unread 10/21/2017, 12:53 AM   #74
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Clean , clean clean..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Unread 10/22/2017, 10:38 AM   #75
bigrock
Registered Member

Ken
Would you mind showing or explaining to us how you attached the idler pulley to the pvc pipe?
I couldnt get my gears to work so was thinking about using belts like you did.

bigrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automated, filter, filter socks, mechanical