Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/06/2017, 10:13 AM   #1
manfrog
Registered Member

64 F shipping H2O for Clam

I just got a Squamosa from Live Aquaria and for some reason the shipping water was 64 degrees fahrenheit.
Seems extreme to me. What do you think the chances are for clam survival?
Ever had any live tropical shipments this cold that survived?

manfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 08:27 AM   #2
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

It wasn't a clam, but when I first started out we had a major snow storm that caused a 5 day power outage at my house. I didn't have a generator and by the time I knew I would need one a day in to the outage, we couldn't find one. All I could do was slowly watch as my water temp dropped over a period of days to the lower 50s. Until it dropped below 60 my fish and corals were all still alive. In the 50s I lost fish first then some corals. Some corals died and some lived but this was about 15 years ago so I don't really remember what corals they were. Everything slowed down as the temp dropped and nothing died until day 4 or 5. The clam may survive. I would contact live aquaria and let them know your concern so it's on record if thenclam does perish.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 10:19 AM   #3
GQuinn
Registered Member

I've had a few Diver Den purchases arrive in the 66-68 degree range. I've never order a clam from them, but the last 3 or 4 shipments from them have been in that temperature range.

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 07:48 AM   #4
Softhammer
Registered Member

I have had a few that got colder than that. Was 5 years ago and they are still alive. Just raise the temperature back up very slowly. If it's a mature clam it's not uncommon for them to "spawn" as a defense mechanism as they warm back up. No promises, but if you take it slow it should be ok.

Unread 09/22/2017, 05:38 PM   #5
chrisv
Registered Member

how did he do?

chrisv is offline   Reply With Quote