Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/26/2014, 09:36 AM   #1
jamie lee
Registered Member

Red face Elegance Coral wont eat, spat food out.?? Help

Hi,
I have a new Red Sea Max 250 tank with 12 Fish, 3 starfish, an anemone, 2 conch snails, 5 other snails ( big ones) plus a few other little ones, a couple of small crabs (came from the live rock when I got it, sneaky bonus...
Anyway also i have a nudibranch, a small sea cucumber and last but definatly not least I have a hammer coral, eyed brain, couple of plate corals and branching corals, flower pot coral, candy cane coral, morph, few mushroom corals, and a few more, Ill try put some pics up..
My problem is with my Elegance coral, it wouldn't eat when i fed the rest, I gave it food like normally do, with a little dropper but instead of grabbing its tentacles around end of dropper and taking food i had to drop food into it and then a second later it seriously spat the food out, its tentacles are very short, and seems to be fading in colour..
Tested everything and tank seems perfect, I need help ASAP as will cry if my Elegance dies...
Thanks in advance for any help..

jamie lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2014, 11:37 AM   #2
ReefKeep66
Registered Member

First thing first, how long has your tank been set up? Second, what fish are in there? 12 fish in a 65g seems a little excessive especially if the tank was set up recently. Third, what are your paramters specifically? Ph, SL, Alk,Nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, ca, mg? Have you moved the coral recently or any recent changes? That will stress them out for a few days or so.

ReefKeep66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2014, 03:05 PM   #3
Mcgeezer
Reef gardener

You say you tested and all is well...but posted no parameters.

12 fish in a 65g is way too much. You likely have phosphate issues. A test of zero on phosphate is deceptive because algae will use up available phosphate. Do you run GFO? Do you have any noticeable algae in your tank?

If the elegance is expelling brown stringy stuff from its mouth, that is zooxanthellae or leftover food. This is the corals way of either "using the restroom" or can be indicative of stress by expelling its symbiotic algae. How often are you feeding it? LPS typically only benefit from 1-2x weekly feedings in small amounts.

Mcgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2014, 03:28 PM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

^^^What they said^^^

I don't feed my elegance coral (or any other coral for that matter) anything on purpose. They are welcome to catch extra food at fish feeding time, but otherwise, nada. The last time I fed them intentionally was about a year ago, then stopped because it really didn't seem to make any difference, and was just contributing to excess nutrients in the system. They all seem to be doing very well.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleaching corals, coral disease, elegance coral, not eating