Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2018, 08:28 PM   #201
\Clownfish/
Saltwater Beginner

Jenyphur! I’m so jelly your tank has come a long way and it’s absolutely beautiful!

Unread 03/13/2018, 08:50 PM   #202
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by \Clownfish/ View Post
Jenyphur! I’m so jelly your tank has come a long way and it’s absolutely beautiful!
Ahhhh..that's sweet to say. Thank you !!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jenyphur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 08:34 AM   #203
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Another update

Well I did it. I got my lonely little clownfish (my first fish) a new friend. If you have been following along, when I took off my Biocube LED lid about 6 months ago, one of my clowns decided to check out the big, bad world out of the tank. Needless to say, it didn't go well for him.

I have been hesitant to get another one. Well I actually have always wanted one but I really wanted one that would host an anemone so I was kind of waiting. Well yesterday, I happened to be at my LFS and I spotted these beautiful anemones. I have wanted one for some time and in the same tank was this little mocha guy with a little white top hat on. He was so damn cute. I spent a lot of time talking to the very knowledgeable guy about getting him to host while acclimating him to the new tank. The dangers of adding him as the female may reject him and kill him, etc, etc, etc.

Well I pulled the trigger, he was just so damn cute. I also purchased this beautiful rainbow anemone.

This is where the story gets interesting.

I took him out of the paper sack and placed him on my counter still in the bag from the store. When I went to pull out the anemone, I guess I bumped his bag with my elbow or something and the bag fell off the counter. He literally crashed to the ground. I remember thinking as I watched it hit the tile floor that it was going to burst and I would have to grab him and put him into water. Well....the bag didn't break. I can't believe it. I picked him up and looked inside. He didn't look so good. He looked like he was wobbly and swaying back and forth. Ugh....so sad.

I honestly felt like the worst person in the world right at that moment. It's a sick feeling knowing you caused a fish to suffer.

I left him for a few minutes and got the anemone out and put him into a container and started to drip acclimate him. I figured I might as well see if the little guy made it so I added him to the same container. Remember, they came from the same water.

He honestly didn't look good and he immediately went and hid under the anemone . In one regard, I was happy because I wanted him to get used to the nem but on the other, I felt he was just hiding away to die.

I left them for about 30 minutes and came back and saw his little face sticking out a bit and when he saw me, he ran back inside the nem. Ok, interesting...he's doing a bit better now.

Another 15 minutes and he's actually IN the nem now....snuggled up all cozy . Things are looking up.

I decided to continue my introduction ...so I got my strainer ready and floating on top of the tank. Gently put the nem in and then added the clown.

I watched these two for about 30 minutes and Mocha was swimming all around, looking perfectly normal and going in and out of the nem. This might work after all!

I decided to give them a bit more time. The other clown (Molly) was so curious as to what was going on as well as my other fish. They kept swimming up to him to check him out, etc.

30 minutes go by and I look up and see him OUT of the strainer and into the main tank. WHAT? Lol...he jumped out and he and Mollly were already dancing and shaking, etc.

It took all of 5 minutes for them to become a pair. I watched the whole thing. They are sooooo cute together.

The only bad news is that once he was in the main tank, he didn't want anything to do with his nem. Well at least not yet anyways.

The nem found a nice spot in the upper left corner of my tank on a rock, he has a nice strong foothold but I know he might decide to move. I am keeping an eye on him.

This morning everyone looks healthy and happy and Mocha and Molly are so cute to watch. She is definitely more interested in him as he's a little busy checking out his new home. She protects him from my pygmy angel and the dottyback although they aren't really going after him, but she definitely shoos them away when they come close.

I hope he eventually finds the nem again and continues to host it.

Sorry for the long update. I'll post some pics next.

Unread 03/15/2018, 08:39 AM   #204
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Lights just came on ...so corals just waking up. 20180315_065928.jpg20180315_065647.jpg20180315_065956.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 08/01/2019, 05:26 PM   #205
1st Salt
Registered Member

this may be an older post, but i'd love to see the progress.

1st Salt is offline   Reply With Quote