Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/12/2018, 04:39 AM   #6051
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
I betcha many do not know what a coleman lantern is?

I like where this is headed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2018, 05:34 AM   #6052
markalot

It was the sound of the gas lantern plus the light that really made it such a cool device for camping. I wonder what that spectrum looks like?

Unread 06/12/2018, 07:39 AM   #6053
lancesmith1
Registered Member

i am dumping LED and going to quartz.

lancesmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 09:28 PM   #6054
dz6t
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
I betcha many do not know what a coleman lantern is?

Lol. You must be right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dz6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 09:32 PM   #6055
dz6t
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancesmith1 View Post
i am dumping LED and going to quartz.

Good move.
One guy once told me that he wanted to mount a plasma TV on top of his reef tank, facing down. He might have a point there.

dz6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 11:39 PM   #6056
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
It was the sound of the gas lantern plus the light that really made it such a cool device for camping. I wonder what that spectrum looks like?
W/ or without the Alpha radiation?

Quote:
Incandescent gas mantle lanterns work by using kerosene as a fuel to light a mantle, a bag of cloth covered in metallic salts. ... Many mantles in retail lanterns still contain Thorium, with 50 million mantles sold in 2000 containing the radioactive element
Just need some perspective for the joke..
Quote:
The danger from using these mantles around a campfire one or twice a year is not substantial, with exposure of roughly 0.005 millirems coming through a couple of nights spent by Thorium gas lantern light. Under extreme exposure conditions — 4800 hours during a year from simultaneous use of four different Thorium mantle lanterns — an individual is exposed to roughly 200 millirems. This is not a large amount, as 200 millirems is roughly the same amount exposure you would get from receiving a CT scan of your head.

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2018, 05:33 PM   #6057
markalot

Visited Shedd Aquarium today, took a picture of their coral conservation exhibit.

Unread 07/01/2018, 06:05 PM   #6058
Tuffyyyyy
Registered Member

Yeah but you know that tank to the right of there, the one with the spotted filefish, was running on a Kessil.

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 40 and 10
Tuffyyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2018, 08:25 PM   #6059
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoss View Post
I have been playing with LEDs for two years. L

+1

I have two 400 watt halides over my tank and am adding a third. I am going to ramp down my LED’d and use them here and there and for moon lighting

Nothing makes the tank or corals look as good as halides.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2018, 06:58 AM   #6060
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Bought a few sps recently from a member running radion G4’s. This member is extremelly experienced with top notch sps. The corals in his frag tanks looked exactly like mine when I ran G4’s, healthy but a 7 out of 10.

I placed the new pieces in my tank where I run 2x 250w radiums. Needless to say I see a big change in how they look now a few days later. Its like they started getting back something they were starving for, almost like a rescue. I hate the damn heat from the mh’s but it is such a small price to pay considering what I lose going to led. Im adding blue leds for pop/dusk and dawn which is all I miss from that system.

Ive ran orphek, hydras, g4’s...all great, but not MH great.

Last edited by ReefCowboy; 07/04/2018 at 07:03 AM.
ReefCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2018, 07:10 AM   #6061
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefCowboy View Post
Im adding blue leds for pop/dusk and dawn which is all I miss from that system.
Same with me. Now we have REALLY expensive units for moon lighting lol

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2019, 06:08 AM   #6062
jestronix
Registered Member

Ok let's mix things up a bit, I'm currently a few months in on my Plasma LEP drivin cube tank. Some say LEP is just a halide bulb that lasts 10 years, they may be right, but it sure has spectrum and it sure has punch!

Over the last decade I've run halide, T5, DIY led and off the shelf led, so plasma had to be tested

Here's a few shots from my crappy iPad.

My light sits a good 18 inches above the water, my tank is 500mm deep and 1000mm square. The Gavita is good for a meter square for growing hydro, so I've based it on those stats, I'd love to get a PAR under it. LEDs are for evening viewing and adding blue when the plasma is on, gives an 8-10k appearance with plasma.

I've run 400watt 10k halide before and this looks similar, just without the heat!

One thing I have learnt with LEP is don't go by judge intensity by looks, it's way more intense, my corals initially couldn't take 4 hours a day, even with the light so high, I had to drop to 3 hours a day and the two little Ai lights for the rest, gradually I've taken it up to 4.5 hours. Also LEP is like a big LED, the bulb is the size of a tic tac, so it's very directional, even with the reflector, as such I've had to put some T5 at the back of the tank to help a little.

Next issue, algae This is the bloom version bulb, so less red, but it still likes to grow the green stuff so to compensate I run a 130w CFL grow light in the sump over cheato and caulerpa , it's worked a treat so far.

Anyway thought I'd chuck in Plasma as a topic twist, some may just say it's halide, either way I'll be testing for the next year to see how she goes.

Forgot to mention , my goniporas LOVE the plasma, don't know why but they expand out way more than under my other lights, even the 400w halide.

And a few tank shots with just the led on at night.

jestronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2019, 07:38 AM   #6063
shred5
Registered Member

interesting.
I am not sure plasma is going anywhere, I thought maybe it would.
At Lightfair this year I would have thought I would see several fixtures and there were none.
Maybe that will change.

Unread 01/09/2019, 08:03 AM   #6064
jestronix
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
interesting.
I am not sure plasma is going anywhere, I thought maybe it would.
At Lightfair this year I would have thought I would see several fixtures and there were none.
Maybe that will change.
I don't think it will go anywhere, they weigh a tonne ! They are expensive and colour control is limited, limited install options due to their size. Only thing going for them is that awesome smooth spectrum and bulb life. They entered the market too late, they lined up with Led, bad timing, 10 years earlier and they would have had a chance until led.

Unread 01/09/2019, 11:05 AM   #6065
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestronix View Post
I don't think it will go anywhere, they weigh a tonne ! They are expensive and colour control is limited, limited install options due to their size. Only thing going for them is that awesome smooth spectrum and bulb life. They entered the market too late, they lined up with Led, bad timing, 10 years earlier and they would have had a chance until led.
Yea..

From the picture the color of the light coming out is pretty white and pleasing to the eye.

Would be curious on spectrum and par..

Unread 01/10/2019, 06:58 PM   #6066
outssider
Registered Member

lets see some pictures with just the plasma on......

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2019, 12:51 AM   #6067
bsatter
Registered Member

I'm setting up a 210. I'm thinking of going with the Cebu Sun light. I'd like to grow SPS and eventually have a clam on the bottom. What setup would you run on this tank?

Thanks!

Billy

bsatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2019, 06:50 AM   #6068
jestronix
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
lets see some pictures with just the plasma on......
No windex here

Unread 07/06/2019, 07:42 PM   #6069
jestronix
Registered Member

For those interested in plasma I have found some good points and some bad.

Some acro love it, some acro hate it. Acro that hate it, tan themselves into a dark brown. Acro that love it, grow like wildfire and colour up. Gonipora LOVE it.

So I'm thinking corals that are shallow water, naturally thrive in sunlight spectrum, where the corals 5m and below are not used to the spectrum.

I noticed one coral growing like mad and another almost stunted.

So I am now running my old 20k halide and led. And have notice things are happier in colour. But lots of corals don't seem as happy in health, by that I mean polyp extension etc, they may simply be adjusting. But something's missing.

So I'm thinking I need to gradually introduce the plasma again, but ensure when it's running that it's flanked by some 25k halides to help keep that spectrum up higher and still deliver the insane broad spectrum of the plasma

To sum It up plasma on its own is too intense in the lower kelvin. But offers the full spectrum. Let's see how a combination goes.

Unread 07/07/2019, 02:41 PM   #6070
Sohal Tang Tim
Registered Member

I went from 400 watt radions, to 2 x 8 bulb T5 ATI, to Led cheap, to LED mid range expense... and Although I miss the total coverage of the MH and the way the corals think they are the true SUNlight... i COULD NO longer part with the colour that LED causes and the viewing look of the LED... I think that LED supplemented with t5 is now the best combo for both colour and growth combined... MH as much as I loved them was not near as vivid as either LED or T5.... 20k or no 20k just notttttt as vivid and sharp colouration..probably closer to nature but....I am spoiled now on the sharp colours....but it has crossed my mind now and then to go back to MH as I miss the total no brainer of how the corals and even Magnifica anemones love em!

Current Tank Info: 160 gallon reef
Sohal Tang Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2019, 02:48 PM   #6071
Sohal Tang Tim
Registered Member

anyone thinking of dumping Hydra 26 hd's I am your man!
Thx people
Tim

Unread 07/08/2019, 05:36 AM   #6072
jestronix
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohal Tang Tim View Post
I went from 400 watt radions, to 2 x 8 bulb T5 ATI, to Led cheap, to LED mid range expense... and Although I miss the total coverage of the MH and the way the corals think they are the true SUNlight... i COULD NO longer part with the colour that LED causes and the viewing look of the LED... I think that LED supplemented with t5 is now the best combo for both colour and growth combined... MH as much as I loved them was not near as vivid as either LED or T5.... 20k or no 20k just notttttt as vivid and sharp colouration..probably closer to nature but....I am spoiled now on the sharp colours....but it has crossed my mind now and then to go back to MH as I miss the total no brainer of how the corals and even Magnifica anemones love em!
Totally agree, halide (maybe radium) excluded never show vivid colours. I run an XM 10k, it's on while I'm away at work, I never see the tank under them nor do I want to I run Ai leds at night, tuned to how my eye wants them.

I'm thinking I'll flank my halide with T5 and run led at night

Halide and T5, ya can't go wrong heat/power and bulbs cost, but so would 4 Radion G4 pros ! Unless I was vegan and had to have led only.

Unread 12/23/2019, 05:39 AM   #6073
Sohal Tang Tim
Registered Member

Question update

So what did you do? Upatte..did you go back to MH, T5 and LED at night?

Results?

Tim

Unread 12/24/2019, 11:47 AM   #6074
greekspec
Registered Member

Steinhart Aquarium San Francisco runs 60+ halide pendants with various kelvin bulbs

greekspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2019, 11:50 AM   #6075
greekspec
Registered Member

lights

greekspec is offline   Reply With Quote