Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2018, 08:09 PM   #26
LQT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamaroShow View Post
the red sea refractometer is the best one
Not in my experience... I literally would calibrate it before a test, test my salinity and calibrate it again just to verify. By the third step, it would already drift out of calibration. That thing lost calibration if you looked at it funny.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2018, 10:02 PM   #27
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
You are literally the first person I have ever heard say anything good about the Red Sea Refractometer. LOL They are about the worst ones you can buy. Even the cheap Amazon refractometers hold their calibration better than the Red Sea ones. The best refractometer hands down is the Vee Gee STX-3. It’s actually a lab grade refractometer at a somewhat reasonable price. If you buy a Vee Gee, it will be the last one you buy because they are great and are built to last. They also hold their calibration far better than any other refractometer on the market.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 08/14/2018 at 10:09 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2018, 11:47 PM   #28
moondoggy4
Registered Member

To test the water in the bag use a syringe and then tape the bag and do your test.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 07:20 AM   #29
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Opinions without facts are nothing more than unsubstantiated opinions and everyone has one.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 08:25 AM   #30
OrionN
Moved on

So how are the fish? Hope they are doing well.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 08:25 PM   #31
TheCamaroShow
Registered Member

I’ve had mine for about 6 months and calibrate it every time and have never had a issue

TheCamaroShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 08:33 PM   #32
LQT
Registered Member

Next time, after you calibrate and do a salinity test, calibrate it again. I woundn’t be shocked if you found that it has already lost calibration in that short span of time.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 04:51 AM   #33
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
I’ve had mine for about 6 months and calibrate it every time and have never had a issue
Why do you have to calibrate it every time?
I had a Milwaukee MR100ATC for 17 years. I calibrated it at least 15 years ago and never have to recalibrate. I check it sometime with standard solution once in a while. It have been spot on ever since.
This refractometer have mechanism to lock the calibration so that it look the scare where it is and not move. Great cheap piece of equipment. I expect nothing less from any other refractometer that I ever buy in the future if I ever drop and break this one.
BTW, all metal parts are stainless steel and no rust other than slight discoloration of the pin and the screw that hold the flab. The box is well padded, styrofoam cut out fit the refractometer well, high quality that does not break down after 15 years, and protect the refractometer well when not in use. Function great, no problem, feel solid and firm in my hand when use. I have a second one in my office to use for my office tank, so I don't have to bring it from home when needed.
I highly recommended this refractometer.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip

Last edited by OrionN; 08/16/2018 at 04:57 AM.
Unread 08/16/2018, 06:47 AM   #34
Rover88
Registered Member

Orion,

I know my Red sea Refractometer states it needs to be calibrated every use.

It does not hold a calibration period. I'm talking I can't even trust it to hold a calibration for 2 hours, I will get dramatically different readings if I let it sit.

When I first got it it ****ed me right off, but a bunch of reviews state its because of temperature compensation or something of the sort. Thats why the manual says to calibrate first, then take your reading.

Now that I do it, it adds less then a minute to the process, so its really not that big a deal to me anymore.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 08:54 PM   #35
TheCamaroShow
Registered Member

Just to be sure it’s on point and it always is it take about 3 weeks for it to drift out

TheCamaroShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 11:46 AM   #36
brianbrainstein
Registered Member

I’m curious about the fish as well, hope some recovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianbrainstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 12:12 PM   #37
Joe0813
Registered Member

I want to try out that vee gee refractometer. Another note do you have an update on the fish?

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 12:48 PM   #38
OrionN
Moved on

I too would love an update on the fish.

Unread 02/01/2020, 09:35 PM   #39
dnh828
Registered Member

Sorry for belated update.

The yellow tang is the only long term survivor. It was touch and go for many days but matching quarantine water to the bag water and then bringing it up to normal parameters made the difference.

The flame angel had a ton of spirit but even with all the care I could give didn’t hang on. None of the other fish were very lively and didn’t live long after putting in to quarantine.

The yellow tang hasn’t grown a ton but will be going in to a 225 soon so he will have a bit more room to spread out.

Interesting that they were alive at all and I’m very glad I got one long term survivor but this definitely reinforces the need for timely shipping with fish. Hopefully no one else needs to go through this with a fish shipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dnh828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2020, 11:50 PM   #40
OrionN
Moved on

I am glad that at least the Yellow Tang live. Hope he will be with for a long time.

Tags
acclimate, ammonia, quarantine problems, shipped fish