Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2012, 05:40 AM   #26
Sprier
Registered Member

are those green star polyps in the post w coral connections additions (3rd pic)?

Sprier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2012, 10:42 AM   #27
cabbagehead
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprier View Post
are those green star polyps in the post w coral connections additions (3rd pic)?
Thanks Sprier,
The stacked rock has worked really well. When I buy frags I also buy a piece of Tonga rock and it usually fits perfectly in the grooves. The third pic is flower pot coral (Goniporia )

cabbagehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2012, 09:22 PM   #28
cabbagehead
Premium Member

Had some unexpected issues with my tank today. I was on my way out and decided to check my top off water. When I opened the cabinet door the sump reeked of skim mate. Apparently a big chunk had formed on the neck and dropped into the cone causing a flury of water to be released into the collection cup. This in turn leaked skim mate into my sump. Luckily my LFS had 20 gallons of Reef Crystals available and I was able to get a water change done within the hour.
Spent the rest of the night with my chemistry set

Nice Acan Frag

Unread 08/23/2012, 02:04 PM   #29
ladybug_Montreal
Registered Member

Nice set up. Too bad there is not a decent lfs in Charlotte Co. Driving up to Venice or down to Ft Myers gets to be a PITA, and with season around the corner, forget it.

DD

ladybug_Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2012, 06:30 PM   #30
cabbagehead
Premium Member

New additions to the tank:
Side view

New wall hammer

The triplets

As of today water parameters are stable. My ph remains a little on the low side at 7.82 but I have not seen any ill effects. I also added two Gorgonians today from Eco-reef. I have never kept these before but have heard they are relatively easy.

Unread 09/19/2012, 09:34 PM   #31
teog
Registered Member

Hey great looking setup. Are you still happy going with the smaller nac 5.5 skimmer? Im setting up a 65g with 20g sump and torn between the nac 5.5 or nac 7.

teog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2012, 09:03 AM   #32
anbosu
Registered Member

That looks like a whip gorgonian and if that's the case they are very easy to keep. I have a few whips and corky gorgs in my tank now and they are very healthy.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2012, 09:47 PM   #33
Mike247
Registered Member

Following. I picked up the same tank a few weeks ago. had to throw it together quick due to moving so its a work in progress. Didn't like the stand either, so I made a steel stand for more space and piece of mind wasn't impressed with the quality of their stands. I really like your lighting mount and your minimalist scaping. I'm not happy with my scape yet but it's growing on me lol. I still need to build a sump and lights but its coming along. Over all I really like the tank and glad I bought it.

Mike247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2012, 06:10 PM   #34
cabbagehead
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teog View Post
Hey great looking setup. Are you still happy going with the smaller nac 5.5 skimmer? Im setting up a 65g with 20g sump and torn between the nac 5.5 or nac 7.
The 5.5 is doing its job well. It took some time to break in but is now producing plenty of brown goo.

Unread 09/21/2012, 06:13 PM   #35
cabbagehead
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbosu View Post
That looks like a whip gorgonian and if that's the case they are very easy to keep. I have a few whips and corky gorgs in my tank now and they are very healthy.
Yeah I think it is a whip. So far it's doing great. Hopefully I will have the same results

Unread 09/21/2012, 06:20 PM   #36
cabbagehead
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike247 View Post
Following. I picked up the same tank a few weeks ago. had to throw it together quick due to moving so its a work in progress. Didn't like the stand either, so I made a steel stand for more space and piece of mind wasn't impressed with the quality of their stands. I really like your lighting mount and your minimalist scaping. I'm not happy with my scape yet but it's growing on me lol. I still need to build a sump and lights but its coming along. Over all I really like the tank and glad I bought it.
Thanks Mike, I really like the tank too. I have managed to squeeze enough filtration into the stand but I wish I had enough room for a fuge. It took me months to come with a solution for the light. The LED arm was the perfect fit for me although I originally found the idea on the Ecotech sponsor forum it worked well with the AI Sol. The scape has its drawbacks as shadowing can be a problem. I have solved this by buying tonga branch for each frag I buy. The tonga fits nicely in between the layers of rock and I only have to glue once. Good luck with your tank.

Unread 10/05/2012, 03:38 PM   #37
cabbagehead
Premium Member

Disaster strikes!!

Well it seems disaster strikes at any experience level. This week I have lost some of my favorite pieces. My daughter had emergency brain surgery at All Children's on Saturday. I have spent the past 7 days shuttellng back and forth and on Wednesday I came one to disaster. After a long day at the hospital I came home and my house had no AC. It is a brand new unit and has worked flawless for the past year. According to the thermostat it went out at 9:30 am. The temperature got up to 91 inside the house. My 60 gallon was at 89 degrees and my 26 was pushing 90. The fish survived fine but I lost two Acans, Red monticap, red welso, and a small neon green welso. The worst part is my favorite piece, my orange branching hammer, has started reseeding and developing brown jelly. I fragged it into two pieces and got rid of the infected pieces. So far it looks like I may have saved some of it but who knows.

My only question is should I expect more death? I am going to test parameters tonight after I get everyone home and settled.

Unread 10/05/2012, 04:06 PM   #38
Nwest
Registered Member

oooo man that is not good. Sorry for your loss. How is daughter doing?

Unread 10/05/2012, 04:14 PM   #39
cabbagehead
Premium Member

Nwest:
My daughter is recovering at home and hopefully will be back to baseline soon. She was a 1lb 2 oz preemie so we are very familiar with hospital visits. Thanks for asking.

Unread 10/05/2012, 04:16 PM   #40
Nwest
Registered Member

No problem man.... kids are always more important than coral.... Coral can be collected again but a little girl or boy cant... If you need anything let me know and I can try and help... Are you going to be making it to Brian Greens next month?

Unread 10/05/2012, 04:41 PM   #41
cabbagehead
Premium Member

Yeah, I'm going to try to make my first club appearance then. I've always wanted to check out his tanks. He was a customer of mine when I worked in Nokomis.

Unread 10/05/2012, 07:29 PM   #42
Nwest
Registered Member

Ok.... you said you lost some acan frags right? I have some I can bring ya at Brian's.

Unread 10/05/2012, 08:35 PM   #43
cabbagehead
Premium Member

That would be awesome, I really do appreciate it. The orange hammer I cut up looks like it might make it. Gonipora has yet to up. Going to do a 20% water change tomorrow and run some carbon. Water tests to follow.