Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/16/2019, 05:33 PM   #1
jaxredsoxfan
Registered Member

Coral QT setup questions

So after reading so many tough posts over the years of folks that had tank wipe outs- Im deciding to implement a permanent coral QT/frag tank. My main display is a RedSea Max E 260 that has been going strong for a year now, with no real problems. I just dont want to add anything to it going forward that isn't QT'd. My plan is to keep this tank running constantly and just cycle coral and inverts through it under observation for 45 days prior to adding to display.

I'm thinking 2 peppermint shrimp and a few snails from my DT as permanent residents.

My potential equipment list is:
Aqueon 20L tank - 30x12x12
Aqueon Quiet Flow 30 HOB filter
AI Prime HD with flex arm (Have 2 Hydra 26 on the DT)
75W Eheim Jager heater
Hydor Koralia 425 GPH powerhead

Im thinking just a piece of live rock and keeping a filter pad in my DT for a month or so then moving it to the QT. Ill add DT water to the QT tank during normal weekly water changes. Bare bottom on the QT with some eggcrate to hold frags.

Any suggestions/recommendations/changes you would make to the above plan? Everyone seems to do this a little different so I tried to incorporate the best of the different setups I've read about. The plan would be to dip new corals (CoralRX) then introduce to the QT tank and let them sit for 45 days observing and re-dipping if necessary.

jaxredsoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2019, 06:34 PM   #2
Daddi0
Registered Member

I have read that dipping new frags really stresses them and it is best to acclimate them to the QT tank first then dip them after several days/week and place them back into the QT. Not really a worry with cheap/common stuff but once you start paying upwards of a couple hundred for a frag, it can be a real concern to not kill it.
Cheers! Mark

Old 07/16/2019, 06:53 PM   #3
jaxredsoxfan
Registered Member

Hmm, thanks for reply by the way, I had read dip- place in QT- dip weekly and some remove plugs from frags

jaxredsoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote