Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2019, 04:04 AM   #1
PCguy21
Registered Member.

I wanna cry......

I hate ich and or velvet.. which ever i have... I finally got the courage to try cupramine.... and my mimic tang died tonight.... my flamw hawk my favorite and first fish ive ever had died..... he never got the diseases though which was one reason i liked him and one big reason i stayed with salt water.

I killed him by removing some of my rock and corals creating an ammonia spike that i didnt know happened.. and he died.... i didnt even dose copper in the tank.

I feel like i have all the bad luck.... This parasite is litterally a game ender.. im not sure what i wanna do... I have a foxface. Kole tang. 5 green chromis. 3 talbots. 3 strip damsels.. yellow tail damsels and two scooter blennys... Between two tanks.. I have 35 different corals.... and thats one thing that i seem to be doing good on.. all my corals are so pretty and healthy...

I dunno what to do guys.... I cant keep this up anymore... i litterally almost cried tonight and my chest hurts... i tried everything.... The ONLY success i have had is using herbtana.... its wierd i know but using herbtana i noticed a big reduction in ich spots on my fish... They all ate just fine acted just fine.... Then i tried copper and got ny tanks ready for it and just killed 110$ in fish.. That would ptobsbly still be alive.. the hawk would deff be alive.

Sigh. I think im going to try one last thing.. and that just put my tanks back together.. remove the copper and fix the ammonia issue... Then i think im going just to touch my tanks except for vasic cleaning.. dosing for corals and create as very little stress as i can... and just try to manage this

PCguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2019, 05:51 AM   #2
OhsCC
Registered Member

If you have been around the saltwater trade long enough, most aquarist have battled ich. It is not the end of the world.

I am confused, did you remove all the fish into a QT? Some pictures would be beneficial to the diagnosis. Ich does not kill immediately from my experience. I would get some Seaweed Select Green with Garlic (already added) or add your own garlic extract to the nori. This builds ups the immune system of the fish in my opinion.

You have to leave your display tank fish free for a few months.

This stuff happens and it stinks when it does, but managing this properly can reduce the loss.

OhsCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2019, 02:18 PM   #3
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhsCC View Post
Select Green with Garlic (already added) or add your own garlic extract to the nori. This builds ups the immune system of the fish in my opinion.

You have to leave your display tank fish free for a few months.

This stuff happens and it stinks when it does, but managing this properly can reduce the loss.
NO garlic. It has been shown to produce liver and heart problems in fish.

http://www.afishionado.org/blogs/myt...tinky-delusion

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2019, 02:31 PM   #4
OhsCC
Registered Member

I have heard a lot of information on garlic,but here is my history:

I have a yellow tang that is 20 years old and a cream angel that was 23 years old (lost her this year after jumping out of the tank).

They both have eaten garlic Seaweed select twice a week. Also, I fed only Ocean Nutrition Prime Flake and Formula Two flake... both have garlic.

OhsCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2019, 02:45 PM   #5
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhsCC View Post
I have heard a lot of information on garlic,but here is my history:

I have a yellow tang that is 20 years old and a cream angel that was 23 years old (lost her this year after jumping out of the tank).

They both have eaten garlic Seaweed select twice a week. Also, I fed only Ocean Nutrition Prime Flake and Formula Two flake... both have garlic.
That is anecdotal and not scientific. Sort of like saying "I have smoked for 30 years and do not have cancer". Yup that happens but that does not mean that smoking does not cause cancer.

You are just taking an avoidable risk.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote