Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/23/2016, 09:32 AM   #1
Spar
Registered Member

Can an ich cyst survive in tap water?

I don't recall reading this in the past... lets say hypothetically that i move an object (ex: heater) from an infected tank (assume said object has a cyst on it) and put the object into a bowl of tap water (zero salinity)... would the cyst be able to survive? How long if so or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 07/23/2016, 12:09 PM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

It can definitely handle it for some time - how long I don't know.
If you want a quick and scientifically evaluated way to kill off the cysts use hot water. 40°C for an hour has been proven to kill the cysts. I would go with 50 to 60°C to be on the safe side. With plastic parts I would stay below 60°C to avoid deforming them.
Heat resistant items like heaters, ceramics and dead rocks without any corals on them can also be boiled.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2016, 07:17 PM   #3
Spar
Registered Member

I was attempting to kill the cysts leaving them dry for 3 days (in between ttm transfers), but put some of the equipment in a gallon pitcher. Some of the runoff water from rinsing never dried so things like the tip of the heater were still submerged slightly.

Unread 07/23/2016, 09:40 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Yeah, drying is a tricky thing and 3 days is not always enough.
I would go with heat or bleach or better both.
Some equipment can also be run through the dishwasher which should be hot enough to kill the cysts.

The safest way to execute TTM is to have 4 well sterilized and cleaned sets of equipment so that there is no risk of sterilization lapses during the procedure.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 07/23/2016, 09:45 PM   #5
scuzy
Registered Member

I just run hot water from tap on my stuff so far no issues.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2016, 09:45 PM   #6
scuzy
Registered Member

I kept it in a bucket of hot water let it cool wipe repeat. I even clean the tanks with hot water ad wipe clean.

Unread 07/23/2016, 09:58 PM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

That can work if your tap water is hot enough (= you can't leave your hand in it for more than 20 seconds without feeling serious pain)

Unread 07/23/2016, 10:32 PM   #8
scuzy
Registered Member

Ly hit water gets to 160 degrees

Unread 07/23/2016, 10:45 PM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

About 70°C should be enough. Though I would be careful with plastic parts - they may already start getting soft at that temperature.

Unread 07/23/2016, 11:48 PM   #10
bundybear1981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
dead rocks without any corals on them can also be boiled.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Please NEVER boil rocks. Even if its clear of any palys (see palytoxin poising) there is still a significant risk the rock may explode, it has many porous holes which can allow for expansion of the steam/water.

Current Tank Info: New Build : 250g (6x3x2) with 2x RW15 pumps, 2x 2200lph return pumps, Tunze ATO, Jebao Dosing Pump, AquaOne G220 Skimmer
bundybear1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2016, 12:18 AM   #11
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear1981 View Post
Please NEVER boil rocks. Even if its clear of any palys (see palytoxin poising) there is still a significant risk the rock may explode, it has many porous holes which can allow for expansion of the steam/water.
I use Real Reef artificial rocks for QT that have never been in a reef tank. So no risk of palytoxin.

As for the exploding, that's highly unlikely with natural live rock due to it's porous nature. There are always capillary pathways that would allow for a pressure release.
The risk with Real Reef rocks is also by no means significant if there is any at all. If there is an isolated cavity it is filled with air and not water. And whatever cavity there may be is unlikely to generate a pressure high enough to "explode" a rock - the forces are just not there, even with steam at 100°C.
You would need to have seriously overheated steam to generate enough force from a tiny inclusion.

Unread 07/24/2016, 04:41 PM   #12
Newms118
Registered Member

Guess Ill jump into this one as well. I'm currently battling ick infections, and when I've used my nets to get out uneaten food etc I run them under the tap on high with hot water for several minutes. My nets are usually steaming when done.

Newms118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2016, 04:42 PM   #13
Newms118
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah, drying is a tricky thing and 3 days is not always enough.
I would go with heat or bleach or better both.
Some equipment can also be run through the dishwasher which should be hot enough to kill the cysts.

The safest way to execute TTM is to have 4 well sterilized and cleaned sets of equipment so that there is no risk of sterilization lapses during the procedure.
When you clean with bleach, what kind of mix are you making (vol of bleach to vol of water)?

Unread 07/24/2016, 05:53 PM   #14
Spar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newms118 View Post
When you clean with bleach, what kind of mix are you making (vol of bleach to vol of water)?
i have seen most people say 10% bleach. doesn't take much to disinfect.

be careful with nets, they take forever to dry. even with steaming hot water for several minutes i wouldn't personally trust it. i use a 1/4" tubing to siphon out food waste, it doesn't drain much water at all.

Unread 07/24/2016, 11:55 PM   #15
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Nets, if only in "infected water" to catch a fish should be fine if put into boiling water for a few minutes. Ich can't encyst that quickly, so if sterilized right away, it's unlikely you are dealing with cysts. And even if, cysts can't survive boiling water.

As for the bleach - I just eyeball it. If it feels slippery it's about right.

Unread 07/25/2016, 04:26 PM   #16
Newms118
Registered Member

Quote:
Nets, if only in "infected water" to catch a fish should be fine if put into boiling water for a few minutes. Ich can't encyst that quickly, so if sterilized right away, it's unlikely you are dealing with cysts. And even if, cysts can't survive boiling water.

As for the bleach - I just eyeball it. If it feels slippery it's about right.
For my net, I have it in hot running water (hot enough you cant keep your hand in it) for at least 3 to 4 minutes then I use a paper towel to dab the water away, then I dont use it again for 24+ hours. So I'd think its dry enough.

I'm also just putting the net in to get out waste, maybe a minute to minute thirty to get it and then rinsing in the sink, not catching the fish or anything.

Unread 07/26/2016, 06:08 AM   #17
ReefTeacher
Registered Member

According to this article by expert Collorni, it seems as though 3 hours in fresh water should kill the tomonts (actually salinity under 10 ppt). I have been rinsing my tanks for the TTM method in hot tap water, which is also chlorinated. My basement is so damp that they never completely dry, even given a week. But since the only water left in the tank is fresh, I presume I have killed the tomonts.

http://www.int-res.com/articles/dao/1/d001p019.pdf

ReefTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2016, 06:46 AM   #18
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newms118 View Post
For my net, I have it in hot running water (hot enough you cant keep your hand in it) for at least 3 to 4 minutes then I use a paper towel to dab the water away, then I dont use it again for 24+ hours. So I'd think its dry enough.

I'm also just putting the net in to get out waste, maybe a minute to minute thirty to get it and then rinsing in the sink, not catching the fish or anything.
You could leave your nets submerged in formalin to kill of disease that may be present

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2016, 11:35 AM   #19
Spar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefTeacher View Post
According to this article by expert Collorni, it seems as though 3 hours in fresh water should kill the tomonts (actually salinity under 10 ppt). I have been rinsing my tanks for the TTM method in hot tap water, which is also chlorinated. My basement is so damp that they never completely dry, even given a week. But since the only water left in the tank is fresh, I presume I have killed the tomonts.

http://www.int-res.com/articles/dao/1/d001p019.pdf
i hadn't read this yet surprisingly. great find and answers my question.

Unread 07/27/2016, 12:16 AM   #20
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spar View Post
i hadn't read this yet surprisingly. great find and answers my question.
We seriously need a sticky with a collection of links to these kind of research articles.