Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/30/2020, 10:09 AM   #1226
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Good luck on seeing moose in Alaska! That sounds like a fun trip. Seeing large animals in the wild is thrilling. I look forward to hearing about your adventure!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2020, 10:39 AM   #1227
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I skipped my usual weekend tidy-up last weekend and it's looking a little shaggy. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend. I had to replace my metal halide bulb and ballast recently. The plants look a bit bleached. I presume they will adjust.

The Allen's Damsels' digging has caused most of the live rock to settle deeper and deeper into the sand. I may have to remedy that, which could turn into a major operation. To fix the problem, I'd need to bury rocks beneath them to provide a stable foundation. This would be a big disturbance in the tank, that I'm not anxious to do. Had I known this was going to happen, I would have buried foundation rocks to begin with. I guess the easier fix would be to buy another ten pounds of live rock and just throw it on top. It's a thought!

It also gives me thoughts of going in a different direction, fish-wise. As much as I love these little beauties, I don't love the look of holes and piles around the tank, and some plants have been negatively impacted. Another thing to ponder…

Unread 01/30/2020, 10:45 AM   #1228
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Mother nature always wins, we just have to adapt.

Unread 01/30/2020, 06:31 PM   #1229
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Vinny. I'm not sure what you are referring to. Can you explain?

Unread 01/31/2020, 08:45 AM   #1230
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I was referring to the fish behavior, digging in the sand.

Unread 01/31/2020, 11:40 AM   #1231
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ah, thank you. I wanted to be sure I understood you. It brings up a great point of discussion.

I certainly am in a situation of adapting to Nature. But there is another choice, when it comes to fish, or other any other tank residents who don't play well with others, or are destructive to the ecosystem.

With this tank, I am attempting to work WITH Nature, bringing in a huge cast of characters, to do their (natural) thing, as well as counting on natural processes, in hopes of assembling a functioning ecosystem, with very little technology. So I don't see Mother Nature as a force to win or lose to. I see Nature as my accomplice.

Sometimes a fish or invert, or whatever turns out to be detrimental to the ecosystem. The bottom line (for this particular aquarium) is that no single member is more important than the ecosystem as a whole. So, I remove the offending member. That is the other choice. Though it's easy to get sentimentally attached, I don't want a fish to dictate a change to what I'm trying to do. I've seen many an aquarist keep a 'bad' fish for sentimental reasons, only to end up with a tank they never intended. I have a pretty clear vision for this tank, and I'd like to stick to the plan.

So now I have to decide whether to adapt or remove. Is their behavior too destructive, or can I adapt my vision for the tank, to accommodate them?

Unread 01/31/2020, 12:04 PM   #1232
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Hey -- Whatever floats your boat.
We all have to do what suits our goals & I for 1 will not dissuade you.

Unread 01/31/2020, 05:19 PM   #1233
lapin
Registered Member

Lookin good Michael
Nothing like running up a trail and coming face to face with a lot of horns. Becomes a stand off with us backing down. We dont have horns or claws any more.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2020, 08:27 PM   #1234
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks lapin! I literally snuck away on skis. Surprising a big moose is not a good idea. Nature thrill!

Unread 02/01/2020, 06:27 PM   #1235
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Good luck on seeing moose in Alaska! That sounds like a fun trip. Seeing large animals in the wild is thrilling. I look forward to hearing about your adventure!
Yes, it should be a fun adventure. And seeing large animals in the wild is both exhilarating and intimidating. We saw a young bull bison in Yellowstone while we were on the bikes. Unfortunately a car in front of us would not let him cross the road and he was getting testy. He started to turn back toward us prancing and snorting and it was scary. We just stayed perfectly still and he crossed in front of us. A motorcycle is no contest with an angry bison!

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2020, 09:51 PM   #1236
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I did a big export/tidy up today. I'm amazed how much it grows. I still need to clean the glass. I'll do it tomorrow. Then I can get some pics!

Unread 02/03/2020, 08:16 AM   #1237
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I took a few picks this morning, after tidying up over the weekend.

Unread 02/03/2020, 08:42 AM   #1238
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Lookin Good!

Unread 02/03/2020, 08:59 AM   #1239
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Vinny!

Unread 02/03/2020, 11:25 PM   #1240
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Whew, that was a lot of work. Everybody got a good haircut: the back wall, the patch reef, and the sand bed. I even pulled back some grasses that were growing against the front glass. So I had more manatee grass to transplant. I'm kind of excited to see if my transplanting pays off. Hope so. Some of the taller ones have yellowed. I think they got cooked by the new light.

Since deciding I liked the petticoat algae best on the sand bed, I've been removing everything else. There's also a couple more green plants I'd like between the grasses: codium and tufted joint algae. Both really unique plants.

I transplanted another turtle weed plug high on the back wall. I've got a good feeling about this one.

When I got up early this morning to take pics, I noticed the male barnacle blenny doing his mating dance outside his hole. Then I realized the female was in it. She hung out for less than a minute, and was back to her own hole again. Ah, love…It's good to know those two have each other.

In general, the tank is maturing and filling in with plants. Cruising.

Unread 02/04/2020, 02:48 PM   #1241
vlangel
Registered Member

The tank is looking really good and maturing so nicely. Maybe the barnacle blennies know that valentine's day is coming up soon. I have never seen either of my barnacle blennies doing any sort of dance so perhaps I do not have a pair. They have 3 hide holes between the two of them and I can find them in any of the 3.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 02/04/2020, 03:03 PM   #1242
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn. Things are humming along well. I still have some pest macros I've yet to get rid of, but other than that, I'm pleased.

On the barnacle blennies' mating dance, you'll know it when you see it. The male's front half of his body turns almost black and he moves up and down in an exaggerated fashion. It's funny looking! They seem to do it either early in the morning or later in the day. I agree, if you haven't seen it yet, there probably not male and female. If they don't fight over holes, you likely have two females.

Now I'm off to ski with my moose friends!

Unread 02/10/2020, 01:27 PM   #1243
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Some pics from over the weekend:

Seagrass. After having 5-6 manatee grasses reach the water surface a couple weeks ago, I now have none. I'm pretty sure the cause is the new light being a touch brighter than the old one. It should recover.

Patch reef. The red grapes look a little bleached too.

From the end. My blue bulb died, so there's no supplemental light there. I'm going to take my time replacing it, to see if the reds like it better.

Unread 02/11/2020, 05:40 PM   #1244
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Some pics from over the weekend:

Seagrass. After having 5-6 manatee grasses reach the water surface a couple weeks ago, I now have none. I'm pretty sure the cause is the new light being a touch brighter than the old one. It should recover.

Patch reef. The red grapes look a little bleached too.

My blue bulb died, so there's no supplemental light there. I'm going to take my time replacing it, to see if the reds like it better.
Kewl a new experiment .

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2020, 09:37 PM   #1245
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks lapin. I think they're getting a little too much light. We'll see how it goes. The touch of blue was nice, and provided a transition to the metal halide light.

Unread 02/13/2020, 09:34 AM   #1246
vlangel
Registered Member

I am sorry to hear about the manatee grasses. Such a small change resulting in a big impact! I admire how you take these setbacks so patiently. I need to learn some of that myself.

Good luck on observing the red macros minus the blue bulb. My experience says that they will still grow but I can not say whether it will be worse or better than when you had the blue light on.

Unread 02/13/2020, 09:53 AM   #1247
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn. It's not too big a deal. I didn't lose plants-just a few blades. Losing blades happens constantly, so when I show off some reaching the surface, I know it's only temporary. Oddly enough, I think the old, malfunctioning ballast may have lead to the tall blades. I've read that manatee grass grows taller in less ideal lighting, which is what I had. So the blades grew taller in the intermittent light, then got cooked when I fixed the light. Kind of ironic!

I'm guessing the red macros will grow a little slower, which is fine. I just wish I could get them to show a deeper red color. I may try adjusting (bending) the metal halide reflector to decrease some of that light reaching the reds.

Unread 02/16/2020, 11:45 AM   #1248
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

You never know when you're going to stumble onto new, potentially game-changing information.

The other night I was perusing RC, looking for something interesting. I came across a thread, "Id please and thanks" in Reef Discussion. It was just another 'What is this growing in my new tank?' type thread. Typically, these discussions follow a familiar path, with the same, old answers provided.

The first guy to weigh in suggested the OP get his nutrients under control and keep his lights out, while his tank cycled, to avoid algae problems, both now and down the road.

I decided to jump in and offer my advice as well, which differed from his. I said an algae phase is unavoidable and better to let it happen sooner than later, so as to get it over with more quickly. I pointed out my previous experience with my own tanks. In v1 I fought to keep nutrients low in the first months, and it only delayed the inevitable algae phase, stretching it to the eight month mark. In v2, I let algae have it's way right from the start, and I got through it in four months.

This started a back and forth with him, (Scrubber steve is his name), mcyver and me. I admit, I was resistant to his ideas. They completely apposed my own. But the more info he provided, the more it made sense to me. Needless to say, we pretty much hijacked the thread for a little while. If this interests you, checkout the thread to get more details.

Here is the (basic) gist of what Scrubber steve is saying: Algae of all types have associated bacteria that 'help' the algae. If we let algae run amok in the formative stages of our aquariums, we're encouraging these algae-friendly bacteria to get established, to the detriment of nitrifying bacteria. This can lead to more virulent algae that's harder to get rid of, down the line. On the other hand, if we try to discourage algae during the cycling phase, by keeping nutrients low and the lights out, the 'good' nitrifying bacteria can get established first, making it difficult for algae-friendly bacteria to move in. If done well, an algae phase could be completely avoided. KABOOM!

Could this really be true? I don't know, but the science behind it sounds good to me, and I'd sure like to see it tested. This has applications to reef tanks obviously, and really any other tank where algae isn't welcome, but could it be applied to a planted tank like mine? My first inclination is to say no, since accepted methodology is to get plants in from the start, deemphasizing nitrifying bacteria, which competes with plants for nutrients. But maybe some variation of this method could work in a planted tank. After all, I'd like to avoid an algae phase too!

I suggested he start a new thread promoting this method, and I invited Scrubber steve to visit my thread and discuss more. So Scrubber steve, can your method be applied to a marine planted tank?

Unread 02/16/2020, 03:56 PM   #1249
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
At 550, Carbon is the big one. Plants need it more than ANY other nutrient. In nature and in aquariums, it is most often the limiting nutrient for plants. Carbon Dioxide (CO2) is plants' preferred form of Carbon. Many fresh water planted tank keepers dose CO2, to get luxurious plant growth. It is just as helpful for marine plant keepers. A simple way to dose CO2, is to rent a 5 lb CO2 tank, top it with a regulator, and run airline tubing to the intake of a pump or a canister filter or reactor.
Hi Michael; have read up to this point in your very long thread & saw the above.
As that's as far as I've read of the thread so far, & that goes back in time somewhat, you may have already discovered, & know all about the following information I'll add?
But others might find it interesting.

Cheers

Photosynthesis and the Reef Aquarium: by Randy http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-10/rhf/index.php

some extracts

Freshwater aquarists caring for brightly-lit planted aquaria have long known the importance of CO2, and often add carbon dioxide directly to the aquarium water in one way or another to supply those tanks' substantial need for this material.
Reef aquarists, on the other hand, might have just as much or more photosynthesis taking place, but rarely worry about adding carbon dioxide.

Why?

That's one of the topics to be detailed in subsequent sections of this article. The answer is not that seawater contains more CO2 than does freshwater, but rather that seawater contains other chemicals that can, in some cases, be used to supply carbon dioxide.

When a gas phase carbon dioxide molecule enters water, it is initially hydrated to carbonic acid.
The carbonic acid that is formed when carbon dioxide hydrates can then very quickly equilibrate into the water's carbonate buffer system, converting into both bicarbonate and carbonate by releasing protons (H+):

Consequently, carbonic acid, bicarbonate and carbonate are in equilibrium with each other at any given point in time. The primary factor that determines the relative amount of each species at equilibrium in seawater is the pH, with a small temperature effect as well.

At most pH values attained in a reef aquarium, however, bicarbonate is far more prevalent than carbon dioxide.

Figure 1 shows data calculated for all three species as a function of pH in seawater. From this graph, it is clear that if getting carbon dioxide itself is limiting at pH 8.2, it might be more efficient to get it from bicarbonate because so much more is present.
In fact, roughly 200 times more bicarbonate than carbon dioxide is present in seawater at pH 8.2.

Obtaining Carbon Dioxide from Bicarbonate: Direct Uptake
An alternative way to obtain carbon dioxide via seawater bicarbonate is to take up the bicarbonate
through protein transport mechanisms across the cell membranes, and then once inside the cells
where it is needed, carbonic anhydrase converts it into carbon dioxide and hydroxide ion.

also

Obtaining Carbon Dioxide from Bicarbonate: Carbonic Anhydrase

Obtaining Carbon Dioxide from Bicarbonate: Proton Pumping

Current Tank Info: Algae scrubbed.

Last edited by Scrubber_steve; 02/16/2020 at 04:02 PM.
Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2020, 05:08 AM   #1250
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Just sat down to start reading this thread more thoroughly (Lots to read). Started at page 1, again. It's akin to reading a book. I don't know the ending or how things transpire on the way there.

Very interesting & a real challenge. Completely different to your typical reef tank. Sort of system that could be work out great, or go terribly wrong with a few restarts necessary. But I see you've had a similar tank previously by your post #1, so you have a great advantage.

Current Tank Info: Algae scrubbed.
Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass