Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/09/2011, 10:42 PM   #51
FiReBReTHa
Master Blaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReefNinja View Post
I havent gone with anything yet I am still trying to figure out this meanwell 48d issue I dont want to over time kill my driver if the pwd hurts it but I might be ordering 2 of these tonight if I can figure out how to get the buttons or ir remote working with this project... that would be sweet

Also how hard would it be after the ramp up and ramp down is done to test out lightning?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arduino-DIY-Star...item3f056762bf

DONT do lightning, spooks the fish and also keep in mind that fish dont have iris's, its a dumb gimmick.

•Ecotech Vortech Member•

Current Tank Info: 120g rimless
FiReBReTHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2011, 11:33 PM   #52
TheReefNinja
Imagination superfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReBReTHa View Post
DONT do lightning, spooks the fish and also keep in mind that fish dont have iris's, its a dumb gimmick.
Good to know. I am ordering 2 kits if my buddy doesn't want one I will build it and sell it

Current tank: 45g acrylic cube, Sunpod 150w 14k bulb
Current Fish: Hey I gots some fish..
TheReefNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2011, 06:41 AM   #53
Molehs
the H is silent

Quote:
Woa just read this any thing better I can buy?

The DS1307 is simple and inexpensive but not a high precision device. It may lose or gain up to 2 seconds a day. For a high-precision, temperature compensated alternative, please check out the ChronoDot.
I wouldn't be to worried about 2 seconds a day. At worst its a minute a month. But if it is +/- equally it will generally always be correct.

Last edited by Molehs; 03/10/2011 at 07:07 AM.
Molehs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2011, 07:21 AM   #54
King_Richard
Registered Member

Katchupoy,

Thank you very much for simple guide, it's nicely laid out. I've been waiting to start my own as well and have confidence now on which parts are needed to start it all only difference is that I'm using the 48p version.

Just one question so far, you mentioned that you setup a wavemaker, on/off style. Have you considered trying to vary the power to them? This is something I'm currently researching on how to do but haven't found anyone who's actually completed it yet. I'm using 2 korlia evolutions and would rather not turn them off completely due to the audible clicking on them. I'd rather ramp them up and down if possible.

60g Cube>50g Sump\Cube
Algae Scrubber:) 6" DSB:) Live Rock:) Caulerpa :) and nothing else!
King_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2011, 10:10 AM   #55
katchupoy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molehs View Post
I wouldn't be to worried about 2 seconds a day. At worst its a minute a month. But if it is +/- equally it will generally always be correct.
Molehs is right... to be honest... mine is always ok so far so good.

katchupoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2011, 10:57 AM   #56
katchupoy
Moved On

Ok here is an update....

WIRING ARDUINO + LCD SHIELD

You see, when you put the LCD shield on top of Arduino, you will cover up all the pins. This way (using jumpers), we will be able to free up UNUSED pins. Remember we still need to put the RTC DS1307.

You will also notice that, I avoided as much as possible all PWM pins, 6 of them. This will be very important for our connection to our Transistor/LED/Dimmer.

REMEMBER: Digital Pins 0 and 1 are reserved.

Last edited by katchupoy; 03/10/2011 at 11:28 AM.
Unread 03/10/2011, 11:31 AM   #57
katchupoy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Richard View Post
Have you considered trying to vary the power to them? This is something I'm currently researching on how to do but haven't found anyone who's actually completed it yet. I'm using 2 korlia evolutions and would rather not turn them off completely due to the audible clicking on them. I'd rather ramp them up and down if possible.

Sorry, Im not familiar with Koralia or their power requirements. Im just using maxijets + mod and they handle the on/off pretty well.

With a quick reading???

Quote:
The new Koralia Evolutions work fine on a wavemaker. I've set them up on an Apex controller switching every 10 seconds.

You cannot compare experience with the old model Koralias with the new Evolutions. The Evolution models are designed to work properly with an inexpensive A/C wavemaker.

The Natural Wave, Red Sea Wavemaker or any other wavemaker/switching device will work.
Is this true? that the newer ones can handle on/off without noise? If yes, then it can be done with Ardduino.

Last edited by katchupoy; 03/10/2011 at 11:53 AM.
Unread 03/10/2011, 12:14 PM   #58
TheFishMan65
Registered Member

The evolution cn handle on off. Mine have a slight click when turned on. One was really bad a first but I disassembled reassembled it and it is much quiter. I am not rue if they can handle a ramp down in voltage. Or what there max on off cycle rate is. I have email Hydor and will post when I get answers.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon lps and fish
TheFishMan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2011, 12:18 PM   #59
TheFishMan65
Registered Member

I should have added that I had a pair on an Aquarium System Natural Wave timer since December.

Unread 03/10/2011, 12:35 PM   #60
katchupoy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishMan65 View Post
if they can handle a ramp down in voltage. Or what there max on off cycle rate is.
Dont worry about this. Since we are not going to attach it to PWM pins. We will just put it on a regular on and off pin/s. It will be just a simple and clean ON and OFF.

Used to have Natural Wavetimer, and after 7 years of service, it just died on me.

Unread 03/10/2011, 12:42 PM   #61
TheFishMan65
Registered Member

I had one of the timer outlet go on me, but luckily it was still under warranty.

I like the idea of less waves at night. So I am toying with this idea. I wonder if using an interrupt (did you get there yet). And cycling it with code rather than a PWM maybe 4 times a second would work for night mode.

Unread 03/10/2011, 12:51 PM   #62
katchupoy
Moved On

Fishman, just so you know... the one that killed my Ranco Controller and Wavetimer is the big electricity fluctuations we had lately because of a storm... I know that it does not happen all the time, but i guess they are sensitive to these...

Unread 03/10/2011, 12:53 PM   #63
katchupoy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishMan65 View Post
And cycling it with code rather than a PWM maybe 4 times a second would work for night mode.
4 times a second. Im not sure this is possible. Will make a lot of clicks???

Unread 03/10/2011, 01:20 PM   #64
TheReefNinja
Imagination superfreak

Ok I ordered 2 of everything today, 2 arduino kits + all parts. Now I have to ask how will we be hooking this up to the meanwell? do I need to order anything else?

Unread 03/10/2011, 01:56 PM   #65
TheFishMan65
Registered Member

Do you still have the wavemaker. I might have you send me the internal board to analyze .

The idea is to never let the impeller quite spinning. Let it almost stop and hit it full power for a few seconds. And repeat. It would be lots of mini waves, but if close enough together maybe seen as one medium wave.

Unread 03/10/2011, 02:13 PM   #66
Molehs
the H is silent

Ordered mine as well, went with the mega to keep my options more open. Granted I'll be happy to let you guys make all the mistakes before I actually get mine. Heh.

Unread 03/10/2011, 05:07 PM   #67
Jeff D
Registered Member

I just want to control my Meanwell drivers!

Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2011, 05:16 PM   #68
katchupoy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
I just want to control my Meanwell drivers!
Jeff,

tell us what do you have already? Im trying my best to make it as fast as I can, so forgive me for not being fast enough.

You have the LED and driver connected. Everything is working...
You want to just simply ramp up and down your lights...
What do you have (based on my parts list)? I see that you have the duemilanove... anything else?

Thanks.

Unread 03/10/2011, 06:22 PM   #69
Jeff D
Registered Member

Hi, Thanks for posting so quick! I am a couple of days out from getting the rest of my parts, all I have now is the adrino board and that's all I have now.
I ordered the clock and LCD shields, the transistors , resistors and breadboards I have got already.
I have 3 /2' typical heatsink diy led lights with 4 rows of 12 on each heatsink. And 12 meanwell eln drivers. All I want to do is cycle the LEDs correctly! Ramp up and down . Easy? Thanks Jeff

Unread 03/10/2011, 06:26 PM   #70
katchupoy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
Hi, Thanks for posting so quick! I am a couple of days out from getting the rest of my parts, all I have now is the adrino board and that's all I have now.
I ordered the clock and LCD shields, the transistors , resistors and breadboards I have got already.
I have 3 /2' typical heatsink diy led lights with 4 rows of 12 on each heatsink. And 12 meanwell eln drivers. All I want to do is cycle the LEDs correctly! Ramp up and down . Easy? Thanks Jeff
Tell me more. Are you wiring all the blues together and whites together I assume? How many channels do you want? I mean you can start with two. 1 channel for white and another to blue... That means also that all blue will ramp up at the same time... and the same with white? are we on the same page?

So I still have time to make a write up since you just ordered your parts... whew!

Unread 03/11/2011, 12:06 AM   #71
TheReefNinja
Imagination superfreak

katchupoy, How are you currently getting the 10v signal to the meanwells? isnt the ardiuno 5v?

I am running 25 leds and 2 meanwell 48d's 9 white on one and 16 blue on the other using 9v regulated wallwart to a pot for dimming.

Last edited by TheReefNinja; 03/11/2011 at 12:12 AM.
Unread 03/11/2011, 01:50 AM   #72
shikhyung
Registered Member

Will the shield from an old cell fone work?

shikhyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2011, 07:09 AM   #73
TheFishMan65
Registered Member

No, shield is a term the Arduino people use for daughter board. It has requirements and placement so they can stack up.

Unread 03/11/2011, 08:21 PM   #74
Jeff D
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchupoy View Post
Tell me more. Are you wiring all the blues together and whites together I assume? How many channels do you want? I mean you can start with two. 1 channel for white and another to blue... That means also that all blue will ramp up at the same time... and the same with white? are we on the same page?

So I still have time to make a write up since you just ordered your parts... whew!
I think i want at least 4 channels 2 white 2 blue for moon lights and when the time comes, effects!

Unread 03/13/2011, 05:32 PM   #75
katchupoy
Moved On

Quote:
katchupoy, How are you currently getting the 10v signal to the meanwells? isnt the ardiuno 5v?

I am running 25 leds and 2 meanwell 48d's 9 white on one and 16 blue on the other using 9v regulated wallwart to a pot for dimming.

Reefninja. My next posts will answer you question I hope.