Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/05/2019, 07:37 PM   #1
Ryantf
Registered Member

Tank issues

Hopefully this is the right place to post this, if not I apologize.

So I have been having issues with my tank for a few months now and I can’t get a handle on it. I have started to get some bad algae growth that is covering some of my coral and killing them. (Trumpet coral, zoas, palys, and my rainbow polyps) The polyps are breaking away from the rock, the zoas are just disappearing, my trumpet is just shriveled up and losing some of its fleshy part, and my palys are just shriveling up and disappearing also. My anemones have both been hiding under my rocks for a few weeks. They will come out for a bit then shrivel back up.

I was using chemipure to try and remove anything bad that was in the tank with obviously no success. I am also dosing algaefix, Red Sea nopo, and vibrant to try and get rid of the algae and it’s not working. (Algae growing on front glass, coating some of the polyps, zoas, and trumpet.) All my snails are dropping like flies, lost all my shrimp, but my fish look as healthy as ever. I blow the algae off my coral with a turkey baster every morning. I just did a 35 gallon water change on Saturday which doesn’t seem to have changed much. I have attached my most recent icp test any help or advice would be much appreciated, cause this sucks. It’s a 100 gallon tank also if that helps.

Ryantf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2019, 12:17 AM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

In the short term, I'd stop any feeding. What food (if any) is going into the tank, and how much is being added per day, etc?

Those links don't seem to be working, so I can't view any of the images.

Unread 12/06/2019, 04:25 AM   #3
Ryantf
Registered Member

Sorry about the links not working hopefully these do. I will upload a picture when I get home from work.

Unread 12/06/2019, 05:43 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Pleas post pictures (without excessive blue light) of this "algae".. The fact you are blowing it off makes me think its likely cyanobacteria and not algae..
Cyano will not typically respond to any algae treatment.. You could use Chemiclean or Red Slime Remover instead if you want to take a chemical approach which you clearly seem to be ok with.. If not a siphoning process/3 day lights out and repeat until gone works well with cyano issue..

And yes when taking tank identification (ID) pics please turn the blue channel of your lights (if you have one) way down or off so we get proper/better color rendition. Color can be important in the ID process..

Unread 12/06/2019, 04:00 PM   #5
Ryantf
Registered Member

Here’s some pictures. My reeflink is broken so I can’t turn off my blues, pictures were taken with an orange filter. Hopefully this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 12/06/2019, 11:01 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

The test results all are good enough that I don't think there's an actionable item there. If you want to try a red slime remover, I'd recommend siphoning out the bulk of the slime before treatment, to reduce the amount of decaying biomass in the system. Running some carbon and doing some water changes might help, too. Most often, such treatments are safe enough, but some cyanobacteria seem to have enough toxins to cause problems. The lights-out approach generally seems a bit more gentle, and might work if combined with some sort of nutrient removal.

Unread 12/09/2019, 11:15 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

All I can make out in the pictures is just normal/minor green film algae..
But those pictures are really bad..

Bad coloration/grainy,etc...

Maybe turn your tank light completely off and go get a table lamp or something else to add light to allow decent pictures..

Unread 12/09/2019, 03:44 PM   #8
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
All I can make out in the pictures is just normal/minor green film algae..
But those pictures are really bad..

Bad coloration/grainy,etc...

Maybe turn your tank light completely off and go get a table lamp or something else to add light to allow decent pictures..
Definatly what mcgyvr says about turning the tank lights OFF! Use an outside source light.
And maybe a regular digital camera verses a cell ph if possible with anti shake or a tripod?
I know my digital camera blows away my cell on macro pics so.
Curious how long has tank been setup?

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote