Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2020, 06:35 PM   #1
jkotzan
Registered Member

Bk160

I have a BK160 that is about 10 yrs old. Will the new 12v pump work as a replacement pump or is it better to buy a whole new 160? I ordered a new 160 with 12v pump from one of your distributors but they said it is out of stock with no eta on delivery. Not sure what to do.

jkotzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2020, 10:14 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkotzan View Post
I have a BK160 that is about 10 yrs old. Will the new 12v pump work as a replacement pump or is it better to buy a whole new 160? I ordered a new 160 with 12v pump from one of your distributors but they said it is out of stock with no eta on delivery. Not sure what to do.
We are between shipments and I too don’t have an ETA. The new DC pumps won’t work in your version as far as I am aware and it would also require a new bubble plate. You’d be best to wait for the new MBK160 to come in.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2020, 07:21 AM   #3
jkotzan
Registered Member

Ok- my old 160 has been a great skimmer but I feel it is time for an update. Is a 150 double cone with dc pump a comparable replacement? I really like the compact footprint of the 160 but could fit a 150. Any idea when the 160’s will be back in stock?

Unread 01/19/2020, 07:22 AM   #4
jkotzan
Registered Member

Sorry-just saw you do not have eta on 160’s.

Unread 01/19/2020, 08:53 AM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkotzan View Post
Sorry-just saw you do not have eta on 160’s.
You know, there is nothing wrong with that Mini 160 of yours. That AC pump is time proven and a beast. That’s not to say the DC one isn’t a beast too but upgrading to the newer model Mini 160 isn’t going to improve much if anything in your system. From a performance standpoint, the original Mini 160’s and the new models will all perform similarly when it comes to removing dissolved organics. So if this is about improving water quality, don’t expect much of a difference because there won’t be. If this is about keeping up with the Jones’s and getting the latest and greatest, then the DC model may be in order. Between the Mini 160 DC and Double Cone 150 DC, the advantage the Double Cone has is that the pump is outside the body making maintenance easier since you don’t need to remove the skimmer to clean the pump.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2020, 12:15 PM   #6
jkotzan
Registered Member

Ok- thanks!