Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/04/2016, 06:50 PM   #1
lousybreed
Registered Member

Low Nutrients Cyano Problem out of control!!

I need help. I have read everything posted in the last year on Cyano and tried almost everything. Black out? Yes. Reduced feedings and lots of water changes? Yes. More GFO and carbon? Yes. More circulation? 20x tank volume. Didn't help at all. I carbon dose. I switched over to vinegar because that was supposed help which didn't change anything. Lowered lighting intensity and it didn't help. Wet skimming didn't help. Hell this Cyano is getting worse. 1ppm nitrates and 0.02ppm Phosphate. I am about to use chemiclean because I am going to go crazy and broke. I have been doing so many water changes its crazy. Any suggestions? The weird thing is all my corals are doing good.

lousybreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2016, 06:57 PM   #2
Bent
I got nothin'

How positive are you that this is actually cyano?

Pics?

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2016, 07:20 PM   #3
lousybreed
Registered Member

I will tomorrow. It's slimy, reddish, makes bubbles during the photo period (pearling for any fw planted tank guys) and comes off with a puff of a turkey baster. Covers everything. Grows super quick.

Unread 06/04/2016, 09:45 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Increase your flow in the effected areas. Vacuum your sand bed and blast the rocks off with a power head. Cyano collects where the waste settles. if you have waste settling, cyano will collect there. It pretty much only collects in areas where the flow is minimal and generally in the dead spots. If you eliminate those dead spots, waste won't collect nor will cyano.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2016, 09:59 PM   #5
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

I was having cyano issues with my new tank with low nutrients. I tried the steps you did with no sucess.

Two different treatments with Red Slime remover over 2 weeks did it for me. It never came back. I still had some brown algae on the bed after the treatments but two sea cucumbers take care of the sand keeping it white.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2016, 01:24 AM   #6
Redrosetuscan
Registered Member

I had the same scenario, with regard to flow I've got a 66x30x28 with a tunze 110 return and two gyres which for quite a while are both on the same time and were both at about 90%. Flow is chaotic I'll say.......

I ended up using a cyano remover and then have massively upped my feeding, like you my nutrients were low, I believe I simply had an imbalance. It's been about 6-8weeks and tank is still clean apart from one tiny tiny patch.

Redrosetuscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2016, 06:26 AM   #7
lousybreed
Registered Member

Ok I have a total of 1500gpm circulation on my 29 gallon. I should add more flow? Worried I will blast my corals to the moon! Some of the best growth is in high flow areas

Unread 06/05/2016, 06:30 AM   #8
lousybreed
Registered Member

Pics

The

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (103.6 KB, 162 views)
Unread 06/05/2016, 06:31 AM   #9
lousybreed
Registered Member

Next one

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.3 KB, 125 views)
Unread 06/05/2016, 06:45 AM   #10
lousybreed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Increase your flow in the effected areas. Vacuum your sand bed and blast the rocks off with a power head. Cyano collects where the waste settles. if you have waste settling, cyano will collect there. It pretty much only collects in areas where the flow is minimal and generally in the dead spots. If you eliminate those dead spots, waste won't collect nor will cyano.
Unfortunately what you have suggested is what I have been doing for the last three weeks. I have very few dead spots. With the increased circulation I am actually having issues finding areas with low enough flow for my LPS. I mean I could add another power head. For a total of 2000gpm flow. In a 29gallon tank😳😳😳😳

Unread 06/05/2016, 07:06 AM   #11
d2mini
Registered Member

I get this same stuff in my nano. Very annoying.
It's also light dependent, i've killed it all off a few times by going dark for 2-3 days.
Blow the rocks off with a turkey baster on a regular basis and try decreasing your lighting intensity if possible.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2016, 07:37 AM   #12
DrPheel
Registered Member

with the amount of algae in the tank I can tell you your system is far from low nutrient. From what I can see you have no use for carbon dosing or vinegar dosing as you don't seem to have a big bio load.... once you deplete your water of "nutrients" to feed the bacteria you create from carbon dosing you get massive die off and if your skimmer cant pull everything out you will end up with the issues you are having ... algae , cyano , slimey film on water , ect

stop the dosing and do proper maintenance as stated above. Water changes - siphon your sand - scrub your rock or blow it with a baster and make sure you catch everything with your siphon. I learned it the hard way when I started my new build , carbon dosing is good when you have issue controlling high nitrates from a big bio-load or heavy feeding. Other then that you are just causing the cyano and other issues. The phosphate part it consumes is very minimal so run GFO instead and you will have better results !

Hope this helps , Happy Reefing

Unread 06/05/2016, 09:50 AM   #13
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

Here is how it looked in my tank.
The entire sandbed and rocks was like that.

Nitrate at 5 (Salifert), phosphate was at .08 (Hanna ULR checker)

I had a heavy fish load and running pellets. Blackout and more flow didn't help. I had mp40s running high kicking up sand. Then I had Tunze 6095 which I could position better still kicking up sand and still not better. The Red Slime Remover is what worked for me and the green slime never came back.

I had some brown algae on the sand left but the sea cucumbers and some hermits cleaned it up.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2016, 10:35 AM   #14
marinelife
Registered Member

What is your lighting schedule?

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2016, 04:02 PM   #15
Yogre
Cheesehead Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I get this same stuff in my nano. Very annoying.
It's also light dependent, i've killed it all off a few times by going dark for 2-3 days.
Blow the rocks off with a turkey baster on a regular basis and try decreasing your lighting intensity if possible.
Cyano is the bane of my existence. I just finished up a 3 day lights out, it was all over my sand and rocks. I may try reducing my photoperiod.

Dennis, when you were running your 200, how many hours/day were you running the halides?

Current Tank Info: 215 gal TBS Reef
Yogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2016, 04:47 PM   #16
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Two or three days of lights out isn't enough, it may take five or six days to effect a kill. You will know when it dies, your skimmer will start pulling it out and the color of the skim will change.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2016, 06:08 PM   #17
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogre View Post
Cyano is the bane of my existence. I just finished up a 3 day lights out, it was all over my sand and rocks. I may try reducing my photoperiod.

Dennis, when you were running your 200, how many hours/day were you running the halides?
I was running them from around 6.5 hours if I remember correctly. And then the T5's for a couple hours before and after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
Two or three days of lights out isn't enough, it may take five or six days to effect a kill. You will know when it dies, your skimmer will start pulling it out and the color of the skim will change.
Jack, are you saying that even though it visually disappears it still needs more time to completely die off?

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2016, 06:13 PM   #18
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Yes Sir. If your skimmer isn't skimming the remnants of it out, it isn't dead and will come back in short order. Even if you do kill it, you can always get it again but IMO a healthy tank does a good job of fighting it off. Having high biodiversity helps keep the tank clean and this is the first step to keeping pests like Cyano away. I fought this stuff hard in my tank, the long lights out period killed it.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Unread 06/05/2016, 07:11 PM   #19
lousybreed
Registered Member

Thanks guys! I have a 10 hr photo period. Thanks for the advice on the carbon dosing. I just realized I never backed off dosing once my nitrates went to zero!!!! So a 5 day black out? Do you have to reaccimate the corals after lights out?

Unread 06/05/2016, 07:17 PM   #20
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

I did for a day or two but I don't think it is an absolute necessity, but I would still ramp up lighting slowly. Don't just go by time, if your skimmer is decent you wil know when it is dieting off.

Unread 06/06/2016, 07:24 AM   #21
danrobberg
Registered Member

I used some kz coral snow and kz cyano clean and that reduced the cyano a lot. I the. Used some kz a balance and that reduced it further when it started to reappear. Finally I stopped carbon dosing and it completely went away in a few days. I have a real light load on my tank now. Only two gobies due to ich wiping out all of my other fish, so my live rock and water changes are doing a good job keeping nutrients in check. When I had the cyano I had 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate. I think cyano can be a problem for a lot of tanks that run some sort of carbon dosing.

danrobberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2016, 08:47 AM   #22
marinelife
Registered Member

After trying everything, all that worked for me was taking my lights down to 3 hours a day, after week no more cyano, then I started slowing going back up. I am at 4.5 hours a day now.

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2016, 10:29 AM   #23
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Here's what I would suggest and why.

IMHO, Cyano (a bacteria) is fueled by the N & P bound in the dissolved organics. Remember, test kits can't measure those bound nutrients. Reducing the dissolved organic level in the system is key. Water changes, vacuuming out the visible Cyano regularly, using more GAC & changing it often, making sure your skimmer is big enough, working properly, & skimming wet, vacuuming the sand bed, blowing off the rocks, and changing filter socks & any other mechanical filtration often enough to keep debris from decaying and adding to the dissolved organic load, and anything else you can think of to reduce it will help.

IMO, carbon dosing is a good way to create bacteria to complete with the Cyano and make your skimmer more efficient. Not all carbon sources will do so without also fueling the Cyano. I would suggest carbon dosing only with vinegar. IME, it doesn't seem to fuel Cyano, but I really don't know why.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2016, 10:40 AM   #24
mcgyvr
Registered Member

green cyano is neat looking...
I've only ever had red... I'm jealous

3 days lights out then siphon + 2 treatments of ultralife red slime remover has ALWAYS done it for me and never caused a problem..

And I've had it FAR worse than any of those pics.. Like 1/4" thick covering EVERYTHING..

Increasing flow doesn't work IMO.. Unless its enough to literally blow it off the rocks then it will just grow somewhere else..

Unread 06/06/2016, 10:52 AM   #25
bmitchell138
Registered Member

When you all do a lights out for 3 or 4 days, do you cover the tank to prevent all light from entering the tank?

Just wondering because I'm going to do a lights out for a cyano issue and the room that my tank is in doesn't get any direct sun light but there is quite a bit of indirect light during the day especially if the curtains are open.

bmitchell138 is offline   Reply With Quote