Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/27/2013, 06:13 PM   #1
Mayito
Registered Member

Instant Ocean HoldFast

Can the Instant Ocean HoldFast cure under water? Right after sticking rocks or corals, can I put them back to water ?

Mayito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2013, 06:18 PM   #2
terrypercula
Registered Member

Yes. The water actual helps cure it. Assuming it is well kneeded.

Current Tank Info: IM Nuvo Fusion 10, Kessil A160, Tunze Osmolator 3155, Ecotech Vortech MP10
terrypercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Mayito
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypercula View Post
Yes. The water actual helps cure it. Assuming it is well kneeded.
Thank you so much !

Mayito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2013, 10:56 PM   #4
SirKevinD
Registered Member

Beware when using this! I used a tube in my reef and after kneading the putty it smells toxic! Shortly after putting it in my skimmer flipped plum out and started overflowing (internal aquaticlife 115). I will not use it again IMO.

SirKevinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Sn8kbyt
Registered Member

It will most likely have an effect on your skimmer for 24 hours. So will super glue, weld on, ect. This is normal and something to be expected from anything added to our closed systems.

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon, 29 Gallon, 2-20L QT, and a 20 gallon tall octogon tank waiting to be setup for a seahorse tank.
Sn8kbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2013, 08:35 AM   #6
sellersmd
Registered Member

Personally, I stick with cyanoacrylate-based super glue. Several reasons for this.

First, combining the green and white portions of the putty (which is required to generate the adhesive property) is an exothermic reaction, and thud generates quite a bit of heat. You'll notice this as you mix it. I've heard legend of nearby coral being upset/damaged by the radiant heat of curing in the tank. Next, it does have an off-putting smell, as mentioned above. No, it is not toxic, however. Lastly, I find that the putty just doesn't stick well, particularly to maricultured liverock that is covered in various 'stuff.'

The cyanoacrylate doesn't really have any of these problems. My personal favorite as of late is the purple-colored 'reef glue' for sale online or at most decent LFS.

sellersmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2013, 11:18 AM   #7
cloak
Moved On

I've used all kinds of different epoxies over the years and have never had any problems with them. (JB Waterweld, PC Marine, Aquamend, Marineland, etc)

The super glue gel works pretty well for the smaller things, but the epoxy can support much more weight IME. It's also good for smothering things such as hydroids, clove polyps, etc.

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2013, 07:04 PM   #8
dixiedog
Registered Member

I've used TONS of HoldFast, no problems, this stuff is totally good to go. All epoxy stinks to one extent or another. Some skimmers are affected by some epoxies, some are not. Mine for instance is not. Use a little caution at first.

Superglue and epoxy each have their uses. Try to glue a tennis-ball size rock down with superglue.

dixiedog is offline   Reply With Quote