Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/05/2020, 09:08 AM   #1
mfinn
Registered Member

Gen 5 XR30 issues with cracked cases

Well I got 3 brand new gen 5 XR30 Blue fixtures Thursday.
It was late so I opened them up Friday morning and looked at them and right away I noticed some issues with the plastic cases.
On the bottom of each fixture is 4 bolts.
On my 3 lights there are cracks in the case on nearly every single bolt.
So I called ETM right away and spoke with a rep and all seemed good like they would replace the lights ( like they should)
I was told to expect a email so I could document the issues and serial numbers, etc.
A little while later I was informed by ETM, new black cases would be mailed to me and I had to repair the light fixtures myself.

Really ????

I spend $2500+ I end up with broken parts, and I have to do the repairs?

Then in the email that was suppose to have a link to instructions on how to do it, the link doesn't work.

This is not being handled correctly if you ask me.

Unread 04/05/2020, 09:19 AM   #2
ineedhungry
Registered Member

Torn between these and hydra’s. Think this just made up my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ineedhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2020, 12:28 PM   #3
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
Well I got 3 brand new gen 5 XR30 Blue fixtures Thursday.
It was late so I opened them up Friday morning and looked at them and right away I noticed some issues with the plastic cases.
On the bottom of each fixture is 4 bolts.
On my 3 lights there are cracks in the case on nearly every single bolt.
So I called ETM right away and spoke with a rep and all seemed good like they would replace the lights ( like they should)
I was told to expect a email so I could document the issues and serial numbers, etc.
A little while later I was informed by ETM, new black cases would be mailed to me and I had to repair the light fixtures myself.

Really ????

I spend $2500+ I end up with broken parts, and I have to do the repairs?

Then in the email that was suppose to have a link to instructions on how to do it, the link doesn't work.

This is not being handled correctly if you ask me.
Your explanation here doesn't make sense. Bolts....what bolts? They were going to send you replacement cases ? What were you suppose to repair yourself? I must be missing something here.

gprdypoo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2020, 12:33 PM   #4
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprdypoo04 View Post
Your explanation here doesn't make sense. Bolts....what bolts? They were going to send you replacement cases ? What were you suppose to repair yourself? I must be missing something here.

It's the bolts that holds the bottom case onto the rest of the unit.

Unread 04/05/2020, 12:49 PM   #5
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

Yeah i get it for one of mine is cracked too. So when they say they will send you out a replacement case are you talking about just the frame or the whole light case?

Unread 04/05/2020, 12:56 PM   #6
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah i get it for one of mine is cracked too. So when they say they will send you out a replacement case are you talking about just the frame or the whole light case?
The rep said he had put in a order for 3 lens frames and I would be notified when the order has been filed and shipped. I saw someone in another place mention that they had been waiting almost a month for a broken part on a gen 5 unit.
He also included a link to instructions on how to do the repair, but the link did not work.

Unread 04/05/2020, 01:09 PM   #7
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

If it's just a frame replacement then you take your "bolts" out and put in your new frame. I might have to do that to my unit. It's not a big deal.

Unread 04/05/2020, 01:15 PM   #8
PowayReefs
Registered Member

I think it’s a big deal when you’re spending $2,500 in just lighting lol. If you buy a lambo, and it breaks down off the dealer lot, wouldn’t you be angered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowayReefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2020, 01:21 PM   #9
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

You either replace the frame and its fixed or keep crying about it.

Unread 04/05/2020, 01:35 PM   #10
RobbyG
Registered Member

Quote:

Yep I just don't get the thinking today. Back in the 80, 90s and even early 2000's many things had some form of issue and we often just got a part to fix it. Today everyone expects 100% perfect items. That's why so much stuff costs about twice as much as they use to. Companies have to be so careful on QC and even then there is always going to be an issue with the first generation of the product.

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2020, 02:01 PM   #11
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:

I complain because something I bought new comes in broken. Not 1 of 3, but all 3 and I'm crying?
Thanks for the help bud.

Unread 04/05/2020, 02:03 PM   #12
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyG View Post
Yep I just don't get the thinking today. Back in the 80, 90s and even early 2000's many things had some form of issue and we often just got a part to fix it. Today everyone expects 100% perfect items. That's why so much stuff costs about twice as much as they use to. Companies have to be so careful on QC and even then there is always going to be an issue with the first generation of the product.

I guess when I spend money on a premium product that is high end, top of the line, I do expect it to be in new shape. As in not broken.

Unread 04/05/2020, 02:07 PM   #13
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyG View Post
While I generally prefer to fix things myself, this is a case where I would have to agree with the OP.
This doesn't seem to be just a bad unit that slipped through QC but, given that several units are affected and others report the same issue, rather a fundamental design flaw, assembly process problem, or insufficient packaging to handle shipping.
I also disagree that people expect more today than in the past.
One should probably expect and accept a degree of issues with a very novel and cutting edge product but these lights have a number of iterations under their belts and mechanical issues like this making it to the customer is simply not acceptable.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2020, 02:37 PM   #14
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

You forget I also have a damaged unit and if ecotech sends me replacement parts great. I would be more upset if my unit didn't work period but it's up and running and I will deal with ecotech in the meantime. There are more damaged units than mine so I'm fortunate there and I don't have 3 units that are damaged. I guess that's why I'm not complaining too much in my situation.

Unread 04/05/2020, 02:56 PM   #15
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
You forget I also have a damaged unit and if ecotech sends me replacement parts great. I would be more upset if my unit didn't work period but it's up and running and I will deal with ecotech in the meantime. There are more damaged units than mine so I'm fortunate there and I don't have 3 units that are damaged. I guess that's why I'm not complaining too much in my situation.

When I called them on Friday morning I asked about getting replacements sent to me. He said it would happen.
I asked if the replacements would first checked to make sure they were not cracked. He said they would be.
Then I get the email stating I would be fixing them myself.
Did he just tell me what I wanted to hear on the phone and figured that a email would be easier to tell me what they considered my only option would be?
Honesty and being up front is everything.

Am I being petty? IDK.

Hope what I'm hearing about getting replacement parts isn't true.

Unread 04/05/2020, 03:09 PM   #16
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
When I called them on Friday morning I asked about getting replacements sent to me. He said it would happen.
I asked if the replacements would first checked to make sure they were not cracked. He said they would be.
Then I get the email stating I would be fixing them myself.
Did he just tell me what I wanted to hear on the phone and figured that a email would be easier to tell me what they considered my only option would be?
Honesty and being up front is everything.

Am I being petty? IDK.

Hope what I'm hearing about getting replacement parts isn't true.
You spent more money than I did and have more invested in your tanks so yeah I'd be ****ed too.

Unread 04/05/2020, 03:20 PM   #17
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
You spent more money than I did and have more invested in your tanks so yeah I'd be ****ed too.
Hopefully they will do what they are known for and step up and make things right.
Good luck with yours.

Unread 04/05/2020, 05:46 PM   #18
outssider
Registered Member

I'm guessing that it would be easier to replace the case yourself rather than having to ship the defective units back...it's probably a very easy fix....you're right though in theory...don't over tighten the screws like they did at the factory...

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2020, 04:10 PM   #19
mfinn
Registered Member

From a ETM facebook group,

Hello All-
Plain and simple: my sincere apology to any of you guys affected by cracks around the four mounting screws. If you have this problem, give us a call or send us an email and we'll resolve it by sending a replacement cover. We aren't doing a service exchange for this problem because the disruption to you as a hobbyist having to send in your light for replacement isn't worth your time and hassle. The cracks that may exist on your lower cover are unacceptable and we acknowledge this, but the light is fully functional in the meantime and nothing will be damaged by continuing to use the product until your replacement cover arrives.
Some background, the countersunk holes are over-stressed when assembled due to a molding issue affecting the overall size of the lower cover. We have remedied this by installing captive washers behind the countersink to eliminate deflection on the cover during assembly and reduce the stress that the housing experiences. This resolution has been in production for several weeks. The replacement covers come with four screws with the captive washers pre-installed.
One thing I can assure you of, we won't ever leave you hanging. Don't worry.

Unread 04/06/2020, 04:30 PM   #20
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Hope they send the right tool to change the screws too.

Unread 04/06/2020, 04:46 PM   #21
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Hope they send the right tool to change the screws too.
I believe Tim at ETM did mention there would be a torx tool with the kits.

Unread 04/06/2020, 11:46 PM   #22
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

That's good to know. Still have to contact them on my unit but with all the hassle, still love the lights!

Unread 04/08/2020, 03:09 PM   #23
alton
Registered Member

Everything I see posted is on the XR30, any issues with XR15

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2020, 01:46 PM   #24
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

@mfinn, did you decided to sell your Radions because of this?

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2020, 01:47 PM   #25
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
Everything I see posted is on the XR30, any issues with XR15
I have an XR15 and see lines by the bolt in question. I haven't has a chance to take down the light to confirm if it is indeed a crack or not.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote