Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/28/2018, 09:25 PM   #1
kizanne
Registered Member

Hippocampus Erectus

Well I think my male is holding. So I'm gearing up for my first attempt at raising seahorses. While I don't expect to be successful the first time out. I am going to give it a go and hope for the best. If nothing else I figure I'll learn what not to do.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 04:23 PM   #2
gogo7
pico reefer

hey kiz.... glad to see you back... hows your ummm....erectus doing?...

gogo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 06:42 PM   #3
kizanne
Registered Member

Well right now I'm in a holding pattern.

I've read anything from 15 to 21 days.

I've come up with a plan and I am working on implementing it.

I just hope to be ready when they come.

Due date is anywhere from Tuesday the 6th to Monday the 12th.

Realistically based on reading I'm thinking the 9th to 12th.

Males pouch is still growing but he's up and down on his eating.
The female seems to be loading back up with eggs.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
Unread 02/03/2018, 09:13 PM   #4
kizanne
Registered Member

Been a busy week and still working.

ordered and received san francisco brine shrimp. Worked to decapsulate some today.
Ordered bulkhead and diamond drill bit. Hubby drilled a hole in the 29 tall I got from petsmart (thank you dollar / gallon which ended today).

Painted the bottom on the 29 tall and the 20 (refugium) blue to make it easier to see left over food.

Hubby built me a stand.

I'm working on painting it right now.

Ordered some parvocalanus and T-Iso. Even though I have some T-iso with the cost of shipping on copepods I want to make sure I don't run out.

Purchased some oyster eggs, frozen copepods, already have frozen rotifers, ordered some s-strain rots, ramping up my L-strain but still need to build buckets for them. I also have set aside some Tisbe's in algae jars to hopefully make more before the babies come.

If these guys don't live it won't be for lack of me spending money

Though lots of this stuff will help with the mandarins if I can ever get a healthy pair. That's harder than I had thought. And Puff, my dragonface pipefish loves the frozen copepods too. I'm sure he'll love the live ones. Not sure if he can hunt parvo's though. His tank has Tisbe's already.

Really they popped their cork a little early. I have some fish in quarantine and was not done rearranging and getting ready for my next breeding go. But I'm going to give it a whirl. With my luck my hubby's clown fish will finally lay a clutch of eggs. Their old enough but I don't think he feeds enough or something in the tank is eating them before we even see them like a piston shrimp or crab. My LFS is going to try to get me a little girl to go with Puff who is a boy. I'd love a whack or 100 whacks at dragonface pipefish. Puff is just so precious.

Unread 02/04/2018, 09:28 PM   #5
kizanne
Registered Member

Almost done with building the fry build. Got the stand built and painted. The top tank is a 29 tall and the bottom is a 20 Long. It has a shelf above to hang a light and to hold thing like nets, turkey baster and food jars for my drip system. Waiting on the PVC glue for the riser piper to dry so that I can fill it and age the water a little before the algae and babies get here.

[IMG][/IMG]

I love my husband. I love my husband. If I don't break him before the babies come.

Unread 02/07/2018, 11:08 AM   #6
kizanne
Registered Member

Well didn't get everything set up. And the live food arrives today but My male decided this morning was his time to release.

I have about 15 fry in a 1/2 gallon jar with some tisbe pods and a few L rotifers in T-iso and nano. I couldn't take today off work so we will see what everything looks like when I get home but tonight is going to be a BUSY night. The first bbs I can feed will be tomorrow morning. But I'll have some parvocalanus tonight hopefully and more rotifers.

I don't know if he'll release more today while I'm gone. He seemed finish but that isn't very many. Which would be good if I can keep most of them alive. A nice small batch to get a system down. This is the jar before I added copepods, rots and algae

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 02/07/2018, 06:49 PM   #7
gogo7
pico reefer

congrats kiz.... i'm bloody jealous. they look really cute. i love seahorses.
all the best... looking forward to seeing more.

Unread 02/07/2018, 08:15 PM   #8
kizanne
Registered Member

Well we will see how it goes. While I was at work I had about 50% losses. I have 2 more that don't look good and I don't think will make it through the night. I know when I left there was lots of food in the jar.

I think the tisbe adults may have jumped on the babies but I looked under the scope and some looked like small bellies others I couldn't tell why they died. I do know do to not being quite ready they have had lots of salinity changes and transfers to new jars.

My parvo's arrived today and I put lots of naupli and adults into the jar, I strained the tisbe's and only put in things smaller than 200 microns. I put in some s-strain rotifers and t-iso. Tomorrow morning the bbs should be hatched so I can try adding some of those.

I've also read they sometimes release more than one day so maybe I'll get a few more since today was so few.

Unread 02/08/2018, 06:45 AM   #9
kizanne
Registered Member

Well wash rinse repeat. Not sure what happened but they didn't make it through the night. I'm sure I'll get more to play with soon enough. Then I'll have a better setup.

10,000 ways not to make a light bulb right?

Unread 02/13/2018, 09:25 PM   #10
kizanne
Registered Member

So looks like the male is holding again. And I just put Mandarins in quarantine in my larva tank. Last time was 16 days I'm not sure when he started packing but I think he'll pop from 24th to the 28th.

Unread 02/14/2018, 05:40 PM   #11
gogo7
pico reefer

thats cool kiz... keep trying and youll get it...ive got faith in you.

Unread 02/22/2018, 07:43 AM   #12
kizanne
Registered Member

*Sigh*. I thought the earliest they could come was sunday then I backed 2 days off of that to Friday. Well here they are today. 15 days after the last batch so he must have gotten preggers the same day he had the last batch then incubation was 1 day faster.

Still not quite ready. It was on my list to start bbs this morning so they'd be fresh tomorrow morning.

2 days ago I added fertilizer to the larva tank to keep the algae up.

So I caught about 30 babies. Put them in a 1.5 gallon container with parent tank water. Also put in a couple thousand parvocalanus this morning. Some appeared to be actively hunting and eating. But the light is not quite right so we'll see if the babies find the food. I gave them some things to hitch to.

Hopefully but not likely they'll last til tomorrow morning when I have baby brine available.

Unread 02/22/2018, 09:24 PM   #13
kizanne
Registered Member

Already better than last time. All are still alive. I don't expect them all to be alive in the morning as some are looking skinny and listless but some are looking plump and have vigor.

Unread 02/23/2018, 06:32 AM   #14
kizanne
Registered Member

Still alive so that's better. Had bbs this morning had a few last night still dosing parvos and tisbes.

Unread 02/26/2018, 06:57 AM   #15
kizanne
Registered Member

Very excited only lost 2 babies and hubby said he thinks he counted 41

Unread 03/01/2018, 01:37 PM   #16
kizanne
Registered Member

Lost only 3 and today is the official one week mark. I'm switching them to the larger brine. There are still some copepods tisbes in the small container. Some get removed each day when I remove the refuse on the bottom of the tank.

Unread 03/09/2018, 07:24 AM   #17
kizanne
Registered Member

At two weeks yesterday. I've lost a total of 5 I think so about 10% or so mortality. They are eating bbs I no longer care if they are freshly hatched. I store extras in jars of nanno so sometimes they are 2 or 3 days old. I still have copepods in there. I don't really add any at this point.

Tomorrow starts spring break so I'll be looking to wean them onto TDO or frozen. I am also expecting the next batch tomorrow.

Unread 03/10/2018, 07:27 AM   #18
kizanne
Registered Member

Well the next batch came this morning. I have 37 of the older babies. I didn't count the new ones as I was just catching as fast as I could and putting them in the nursery. It is loaded with tisbe and I put in some baby brine. Two are tiny still but if they weren't eating they'd be dead by now. Some are very large. I'll post a baby versus 2 week old picture.

The 2 week olds got a complete change of water today due to an accident that put rust flakes in their water. It broke my heart as their old container had tons of pods in there.

My female is very gravid so I expect after he's rested she'll put new ones in.

I'm going to have to figure out how to get rid of these babies as my local fish store will never be able to sell this volume.

I know I'm not out of the woods yet and still need to wean to frozen but right now I only have about 12% mortality.

Oh and my ruby red female is finally settled into the tank and is now looking gravid. I haven't seen any ascending, she may not like my boy. My old mandarins stopped ascending as my girl didn't like my boy. Hopefully these two will be in love.

Now I'm looking for a female dragonface pipefish!!

Unread 03/12/2018, 02:40 PM   #19
gogo7
pico reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizanne View Post
Well the next batch came this morning. I have 37 of the older babies. I didn't count the new ones as I was just catching as fast as I could and putting them in the nursery. It is loaded with tisbe and I put in some baby brine. Two are tiny still but if they weren't eating they'd be dead by now. Some are very large. I'll post a baby versus 2 week old picture.

The 2 week olds got a complete change of water today due to an accident that put rust flakes in their water. It broke my heart as their old container had tons of pods in there.

My female is very gravid so I expect after he's rested she'll put new ones in.

I'm going to have to figure out how to get rid of these babies as my local fish store will never be able to sell this volume.

I know I'm not out of the woods yet and still need to wean to frozen but right now I only have about 12% mortality.

Oh and my ruby red female is finally settled into the tank and is now looking gravid. I haven't seen any ascending, she may not like my boy. My old mandarins stopped ascending as my girl didn't like my boy. Hopefully these two will be in love.

Now I'm looking for a female dragonface pipefish!!
pipefish too!
now im jealous..
gongrats kiz... i really wanna try blue line pipes in my pico but i think my lps would eat them...got some pics?

Unread 03/23/2018, 07:51 AM   #20
kizanne
Registered Member

Well I lost the 3rdd batch the first night. I think I put too much food in there and suffered from ammonia.

The second batch (born 2/22 has had lots of trauma and unexpected water changes but about 1/2 are still alive and most of those look good. There a about three that I am worried about as they are more sluggish.

I'm expecting batch 4 tomorrow morning or Sunday morning. I'm really no more prepared for them even though I should be.

On the second front. I've found 2 males to go with my 2 female pipefish. The males are fresh from import so we will see if they survive the transition to tank and feeding. So far I haven't seen them eating frozen but they suck up brine really well and I've been copepod bombing my tank because I also put my female mandarin in there. She still isn't eating frozen but the quarantine tank was getting covered in algae and having ammonia trouble with the constant bombardment of 6 kinds of frozen foods.

The ruby reds are looking good. The female is gravid but I'm still not seeing ascending or eggs.

The yashas are hold up in a new hole and being very secretive so I'm hopeful they could be at it.

The Tangaroa gobies are loving the baby brine but easily eat frozen mysid. They also have a tube they have called home.

Now if my hubby could get his clowns to spawn I'd be in a lot of trouble but it would be some much fun!

Unread 03/23/2018, 08:43 PM   #21
gogo7
pico reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizanne View Post
Well I lost the 3rdd batch the first night. I think I put too much food in there and suffered from ammonia.

The second batch (born 2/22 has had lots of trauma and unexpected water changes but about 1/2 are still alive and most of those look good. There a about three that I am worried about as they are more sluggish.

I'm expecting batch 4 tomorrow morning or Sunday morning. I'm really no more prepared for them even though I should be.

On the second front. I've found 2 males to go with my 2 female pipefish. The males are fresh from import so we will see if they survive the transition to tank and feeding. So far I haven't seen them eating frozen but they suck up brine really well and I've been copepod bombing my tank because I also put my female mandarin in there. She still isn't eating frozen but the quarantine tank was getting covered in algae and having ammonia trouble with the constant bombardment of 6 kinds of frozen foods.

The ruby reds are looking good. The female is gravid but I'm still not seeing ascending or eggs.

The yashas are hold up in a new hole and being very secretive so I'm hopeful they could be at it.

The Tangaroa gobies are loving the baby brine but easily eat frozen mysid. They also have a tube they have called home.

Now if my hubby could get his clowns to spawn I'd be in a lot of trouble but it would be some much fun!
oh boy kiz.. gongrats on getting busy...that's alot of baby fish!
and clowns as well.

Unread 03/24/2018, 09:14 AM   #22
kizanne
Registered Member

Well it isn't a lot yet but I'm hopeful.

Unread 03/26/2018, 09:33 AM   #23
kizanne
Registered Member

Here's their new house. A 20 long divided into 2 10 gallons with an air lift to circulate water.

Unread 03/26/2018, 09:35 AM   #24
kizanne
Registered Member

here's a closer image of a new and 15 days old side by side.

Unread 03/28/2018, 10:37 AM   #25
kizanne
Registered Member

so my male is trying to keep me on my toes.

Yesterday he didn't release in the morning before I went to work.

But when I turned the pumps off after work to feed the tank I found 2 in the main tank and about 15 in the sump. Then after bowling we rounded up a few more.

This batch has about 23 babies. Not sure if he'll release more today. Not sure how the ones who missed ?hours? of feeding will do. All but two made it through the night so that's good. I'm sure he probably had more than 23 babies in there so he might do more today or maybe some were eaten by the gobies.