Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2017, 07:04 PM   #76
saf1
Registered Member

I got two of the four powered up last night with little to no issues and set them over the tank. Not proper height yet since I won't be able to work on the canopy until next week. These are running at 100% since I do not have them connected to my controller. I'm really pleased with the color and spread. I am not sure if four will be enough over the tank though. It is 30" tall x 30" deep x 54" wide. Will be interesting to see how they go when all four are running with water and rock. I'll be using dry rock and starting the cycle in January.

Only issue that I have is cooling the LED driver he builds. Great little piece but boy did it get super hot quick. No idea how I can mount and cool this. I just had the lights on for maybe 3 or 4 minutes then noticed the heat on them and next a flicker to warn me it was over heating (nice feature). I'll try and get some better photos. During the cycle if it looks like I need more than I'll order another pair, driver, power supply which would let me also add another pair if necessary. I'm thinking six will be more than enough.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg l1.jpg (38.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg d1.JPG (87.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg c12.jpg (42.8 KB, 37 views)

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 09:00 PM   #77
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Only issue that I have is cooling the LED driver he builds.
Do you have large voltage mis-match between input and output??
I didn't think he used linear drivers but if he did.. the greater the voltage differential the greater the heating..

example of worst case.. 48V power supply running 1 3V LED..

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 10:42 PM   #78
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo57 View Post
Do you have large voltage mis-match between input and output??
I didn't think he used linear drivers but if he did.. the greater the voltage differential the greater the heating..

example of worst case.. 48V power supply running 1 3V LED..
I don't think believe so. I only had two installed at the moment but will have a total of four. The MeanWell would have put out the same power regardless or do you think that is it? I double checked the wires and it matched with the diagram we created. The only possible issue is that the driver isn't directly on the heat sink. It was on a double sided sticky type pad so maybe poor absorption / dissipation? I also didn't have it bolted firmly down. So maybe I just need to mount it better. It can't sit directly on the metal I don't believe.

Edit: Thank you btw.

Unread 12/14/2017, 11:16 PM   #79
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
I don't think believe so. I only had two installed at the moment but will have a total of four. The MeanWell would have put out the same power regardless or do you think that is it? I double checked the wires and it matched with the diagram we created. The only possible issue is that the driver isn't directly on the heat sink. It was on a double sided sticky type pad so maybe poor absorption / dissipation? I also didn't have it bolted firmly down. So maybe I just need to mount it better. It can't sit directly on the metal I don't believe.

Edit: Thank you btw.
Yea, pretty sure they are the TI ones..LM3414
and switching buck regulators so shouldn't heat "much"...at least to my understanding.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...477205&page=19
Quote:
The driver regulates current, so it will drive 700/1000ma through the LED by adjusting voltage as needed.

The driver doesn't "burn" 9V at 1A (9W), like a linear regulator would. At these ratios it's around 92% efficient, so it's 0.7W lost in the driver (split between the inductor, sense resistor, and actual IC)
Does say "mount to heatsink" though.............

I have a couple of the O2 5 up drivers based on the same topology and just thermal pasted them to a circular heat sink..
Don't recall any heat issues but to be honest didn't really check.. They have been running for months now w/ no problems..

you may want to drop him (theatrus) a note.. doesn't seem right..but ???

Last edited by oreo57; 12/14/2017 at 11:36 PM.
Unread 12/15/2017, 01:43 AM   #80
kampo
Registered Member

those drivers are so tiny I love em. been having a hard time getting ahold
of theatrus on a few question on my build i'm leaning toward using his drivers. but its unclear exactly what the upper and lower limits of that driver are.

any idea what the lowest Vout would be? it lists 12-48 but unclear if that's 12-48 in or out. also curious if its like a meanwell LDD if if I fed it say 50V from a 48v psu with the adjustment turned up would that be fine with a 47v led load.

reason i'm curious is my setup i'm planning for my freshwater light is a 36V cob then adding 2xDeep Red and 1xRoyal Blue and 1xhyper violetto that channel, this comes out to about 47ish volts at 1amp if i'm reading data sheets right

then on the salt version if I break out the channels i'll have loads as low as 6-7volts

kampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 08:49 AM   #81
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampo View Post
those drivers are so tiny I love em. been having a hard time getting ahold
of theatrus on a few question on my build i'm leaning toward using his drivers. but its unclear exactly what the upper and lower limits of that driver are.

any idea what the lowest Vout would be? it lists 12-48 but unclear if that's 12-48 in or out. also curious if its like a meanwell LDD if if I fed it say 50V from a 48v psu with the adjustment turned up would that be fine with a 47v led load.

reason i'm curious is my setup i'm planning for my freshwater light is a 36V cob then adding 2xDeep Red and 1xRoyal Blue and 1xhyper violetto that channel, this comes out to about 47ish volts at 1amp if i'm reading data sheets right

then on the salt version if I break out the channels i'll have loads as low as 6-7volts
Can only go on manuf recommendations:
Quote:
12-48V supply voltage
VIn - 3V maximum output voltage (12V in, 9V out) over the full input range
Tweaking ps to 50 is out of range..

Output is 9-45V.......
6-7V out of range..

suggest "sticking w/ the manuf plan"...........

Never known anyone to series large voltage COBs w/ small..instinct tells me it's problematic..

Unread 12/15/2017, 08:53 AM   #82
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo57 View Post
Yea, pretty sure they are the TI ones..LM3414
and switching buck regulators so shouldn't heat "much"...at least to my understanding.

Does say "mount to heatsink" though.............

I have a couple of the O2 5 up drivers based on the same topology and just thermal pasted them to a circular heat sink..
Don't recall any heat issues but to be honest didn't really check.. They have been running for months now w/ no problems..

you may want to drop him (theatrus) a note.. doesn't seem right..but ???
We did exchange emails with regards to a wire diagram last week. He didn't reply to the heat question yet. Holidays or busy with work I am guessing - so no rush. I'll take a picture when I get off work because I don't see how to mount it without causing a short to the heat sink (unless I'm missing something very obvious - which is probably the issue).

I was going to order another pair of the Aquastars last night just to be safe but he is out of stock!

Unread 12/15/2017, 09:07 AM   #83
oreo57
Registered Member

There should be no wiring/circuits on the back side of the board AFAICT.. just "holes" .. i.e vias for heat conduction..
Use heatsink plaster or some other thermal silicone or glue or compound and screws to attach to a block of aluminum or some such arrangement..

Unread 12/15/2017, 10:36 AM   #84
saf1
Registered Member

HI oreo57 - thanks for the image and information. Here are the drivers that I am using of his. The back of the driver definitely has solder connects and/or bumps that would touch the aluminium / heat sink. Wouldn't that cause a short?

Appreciate the help by the way.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bd1.jpg (55.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg fd1.jpg (101.1 KB, 23 views)

Unread 12/15/2017, 11:37 AM   #85
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
HI oreo57 - thanks for the image and information. Here are the drivers that I am using of his. The back of the driver definitely has solder connects and/or bumps that would touch the aluminium / heat sink. Wouldn't that cause a short?

Appreciate the help by the way.
hmm. yes, doesn't look slappable on a heatsink as the duo mini drivers..

Pretty sure you could put a narrow bar heatsink to cover the Dice look 5 x 5 holes.

Just avoid the edges...

That said.. some "like" boards..

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...2477205&page=4