Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2019, 08:12 AM   #1
Kengar
Registered Member

HOW MANY DOSERS NEEDED???? For Kh Director (plus Ion Director)....

So I'm looking into measuring/dosing setups. (Trident? Yeah, right, even with the Apex I have....)

I'm considering Kh Director, but I want to be sure I understand what all I would need for automatic control over dosing, assuming I use 2-part (maybe plus trace as a third supplement).

Per GHL website, 4 pump heads are required to perform the alk measurement. That, I believe, is in addition to the pumping heads required to dose supplements. So I would need TWO doser units in order to measure and dose for alk automatically, correct?

And if I add on Ion Director when it becomes available, I would need ANOTHER doser unit to provide sample water and reference solutions??? And would Ion Director be able to connect to the same doser that is under control of the Kh Director, so that separate heads on that dosing unit can be controlled by the Ion Director instead of the Kh Director on order to dose Ca and trace???

Thanks

Unread 10/15/2019, 01:57 AM   #2
LQT
Registered Member

My understanding is that the KH Director will use 3 heads of their 4 head standalone 2.1 doser to perform its testing, leaving you with one free dosing head. I believe the Ion director is the same in that it uses 3 heads of the 4 head standalone 2.1 doser, again leaving you with a free dosing head. So if you go all in on the KH Director and the Ion Director and the 2 required 4 head 2.1 dosers, that will leave you with 2 free heads to dose 2 paint.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2019, 07:02 AM   #3
Kengar
Registered Member

FYI, from GHL support:

Hello,
the KH Director needs 3 pumps for the measurement, so on a 4 pump Doser 1 pump would be free.
The ION Director will need 4 dosing pumps.
If you have both, you can freely decide which pumps to use for measurement and control. So you could also use pumps of the same Doser for control or measurement of the KH Director and ION Director.

So it would appear that in order to fully automate two-part and a trace or other additive, you would need three dosers, even if the third doser is just a two-head unit.

In my view, that is not a very attractive arrangement......

Unread 10/16/2019, 10:10 AM   #4
LQT
Registered Member

Ugh, didn’t realize the ION Director needed 4 heads.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote