Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2019, 04:26 PM   #26
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrott View Post
https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/fighting-conch/

This is a good store. I've ordered many times.
Supposedly they keep inverts and fish in separate systems.
Issue with them is that they only have lifestock found in the waters around Florida.
If that's what you are looking for then they are first choice.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2019, 04:29 PM   #27
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1bubba View Post
That is what I’m finding out now with LA. Everything I want is out of stock .
Can’t even find a few fighting Conchs that are more than 3/4”.
Some things are seasonal and you only get them during certain times of the year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2019, 09:09 PM   #28
Myles
Registered Member

Divers den still has excellent live stock and customer service. My only complaint with them is that they no longer ship next day air so the box arrives late in the day instead of by 10:30 so I have stopped ordering from them for the summer because of the heat.
Myles

Unread 08/09/2019, 09:56 AM   #29
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I followed this thread with great interest. For the last year or two, I've had terrible luck keeping new fish alive, that I bought from Live Aquaria. It just seemed like the fish were more susceptible to disease than they were ten years ago. Are they? I don't know. It's certainly easy to blame others for my misfortune. Or is it me?

I decided to focus on the things I can control, like quarantine, which, if I'm honest, I've always been pretty slack about. I am currently reading everything I can find, regarding quarantine and fish disease treatments. It seems aquarists now have to be amateur veterinarians to succeed in the hobby these days. Will this bring better results? I think so.

My current focus is on acclimation, minimizing stress, heavy feeding and hypo salinity. As I learn more, I will add to my 'bag of tricks'.

I was drip acclimating until I read Sk8r's excellent sticky thread "Death in Bags" here on RC at: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1959576
I wonder how many fish I doomed to death by this one mistake!?

I prefer to keep schools of small fish. It is always recommended to add all of the same species at the same time. This necessitates buying, then quarantining them all at the same time. Putting 5-7 fish into a single quarantine tank is a high-stress recipe for disaster. So now I have three QTs of varying sizes. This gives me a QT capacity of up to 5 small fish. I only put 1-2 fish in each tank, to reduce stress and competition for food. I feed heavily, three times a day to fatten them up and get them used to 'fish food'.

After a week or so in QT, I reduce salinity to hypo levels, to ward off ICH. This also has the benefit of making it easier for fish to osmoregulate, so their whole inner system can have an easier go of it, during this stressful transition from the wild to their new home in a box.

So far, I've had only modest success with medications, but I'm still learning. Correct diagnosis is key here, and again, I wonder how many fish I've doomed through misdiagnosis. With more and more good info on the subject, I expect to get better at it.

Bottom line, I think fish ARE more susceptible to disease, from ALL sources available to us. So we have to take up the slack ourselves, or get another hobby. I'm still pretty early in the process of becoming good at quarantine. I hope to report back with much improved success. I still shop at Live Aquaria and KP Aquatics. I'm considering giving Fishy Business a try. Has anyone out there had luck with them?

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2019, 12:51 PM   #30
j.falk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Divers den still has excellent live stock and customer service. My only complaint with them is that they no longer ship next day air so the box arrives late in the day instead of by 10:30 so I have stopped ordering from them for the summer because of the heat.
Myles
Are you sure? I just added $120 of livestock from Diver's Den to my cart and it clearly states: Shipment 1 - Next Day Air - FREE when I go through the checkout process.

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2019, 02:19 PM   #31
Myles
Registered Member

Unless they have changed back they went from next day air with a 10:30 arrival to something called next day air savor which just means it arrives the next day which in my area means late afternoon to early evening and it is often 95-100 degrees in the summer.

Unread 08/09/2019, 07:04 PM   #32
j.falk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Unless they have changed back they went from next day air with a 10:30 arrival to something called next day air savor which just means it arrives the next day which in my area means late afternoon to early evening and it is often 95-100 degrees in the summer.
Now that you mention it, my last two orders from them arrived after noon which I thought was a delay problem due to my local UPS. Last year I always got my packages around 10:00 a.m.

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2019, 06:47 AM   #33
wrott
Registered Member

You should always "Hold for Pick-up" and go get the livestock at the UPS facility at 8am.
If you dont have time to go get it, i doubt you have time to acclimate properly.
$15 more and you can pick it up Saturday morning.

120g SPS, 125g mix, 56g FOWLR, 20g qt
wrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2019, 08:24 PM   #34
tmnails
Registered Member

Non availability is annoying, yes. But I think many here are happy with LA and DD.

It's not as if we have tons of options tho.. :/

tmnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2019, 08:48 PM   #35
OhsCC
Registered Member

I normally trust a local lfs however I wanted a captive bred yellow tang and live aquaria has them. My first shipment was coral from the California LA, yellow tang from Wisconsin LA, and coral from Florida LA (ORA). All came in overnight and arrived at 10:30 am.

The yellow tang did not make shipping and was refunded. Reordered and the yellow tang is great. Order a fish from Florida LA as well. Both again came overnight and Arrived at 10:30 am.

No problems here. They even let me keep my reward points from the doa yellow tang.

OhsCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2019, 08:48 PM   #36
civics14
Registered Member

Ordered for dd multiple times for corals and great experience each time

civics14 is offline   Reply With Quote