Reef Central Online Community
Champion Lighting

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10/02/2019, 05:13 AM   #1
Koukasen
Registered Member

Exclamation Lionfish - natural marking/spot or ich?

Iím currently housing 3 lions in my 90 gal (all about 4-5 inches). Iíve noticed lately that they had these small white spots on them. I read about Ich and it was described to be smaller than what I had imagined.
I gave all 3 lions a 5 minute FW dip to see if the dots would fall off, but nothing fell. Iíve also treated the whole tank with API super ick cure, as bad as that sounds. I donít have a QT unfortunately and thought that if itís in the tank, I should treat the whole thing. Thereís also a Scopas tang about 2-3 inches in the tank along with some 3-4 1 inch feeder damsels blue/yellow tail in there. The lions have an appetite still when I put ghost shrimp in there, as the damsels might be a tad bit big for their mouths (maybe?).

Going off the marine kit I bought pH is about 8.2/3, Ammonia 0-0.25, NO2 0-0.25 and NO3 0-5 so my levels donít seem too... bad? Water temp is generally around 78, but during the treatment I increased the temp to 81. I waited the appropriate days and +1 before changing water and adding filter back in. Afterwards I saw a new white marking on my darker lion, the blotch near his gills.

Are the smaller markings natural, but the bigger one near the gill ich? Iím just lost at what to do now.

The white dots are also on the dorsal fins, but they seem pretty uniform and not messy/unorganized.

Koukasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2019, 06:19 AM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

When did you first notice the white spots? Are they on all 3 of the lions, or just the one? Do the spots go away every couple of days just to return with more spots? Are the spots cauliflower like?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2019, 10:23 AM   #3
Koukasen
Registered Member

I’ve had all of the lions for about 1-2 months now, the one in the picture being the newest. I noticed the spots about a week ago on all of them and they’re not cauliflower like. They’re not as prevalent on the other 2, only here and there, as if design. I treated them over 5 days, applying dosage for 48hr, repeating, then waiting an additional day before doing a water change and adding the filter back in. None of the spots really changed or had fallen off. The only thing new that I noticed was that bigger spot in the second picture near the gill.

Koukasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2019, 05:06 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Looks like those are normal markings:

It's definitely not ich, the spots are way too large for that.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2019, 03:47 PM   #5
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

I agree definitely not ich

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote