Registered Member

pictures to post here?

tony73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2012, 10:00 AM   #227
reeksreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchavez View Post
I have had great results with vodka. I have a standard 20g with t5's, skimmer and mp10. I dose 8 drops of vodka per day. I have healthy sps, lps and softies and 6 happy fish. The colors are great! I didn't have nice sps colors until after vodka dosing.
Do you have before & after pics of the tank?

reeksreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2012, 02:41 PM   #228
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life but can anyone post some pictures of there tanks that are still dosing vodka? My reef completely crashed and I am trying to start over after 2 years and still want to know if the vodka dosing is still the way to go.

Many thanks

LIVE SAND ITS THE CURE........®

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
trueblackpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2012, 01:17 AM   #229
platinum321
Registered Member

Bump for a thread that was supposed to be before and after pics it's dern anemic. I would love to see more visual evidence.

platinum321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2012, 10:13 AM   #230
elegance coral
They call me EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblackpercula View Post
Sorry to bring an old thread back to life but can anyone post some pictures of there tanks that are still dosing vodka? My reef completely crashed and I am trying to start over after 2 years and still want to know if the vodka dosing is still the way to go.

Many thanks
Naturally, vodka dosing still "works". I'm able to keep my nutrients very low without vodka, so I don't dose on a regular basis. However, recently I knew I was getting some coral that were attached to LR, with hair algae problems. I wanted the corals, but not the algae problems, so I started dosing a few days in advance. After placing these rocks in the tank, about 80% of the algae was dead and gone in about 48 hours. It's about six days later and now pretty much all the algae is gone. I'll probably keep dosing for the next month or two just to bleed off the excess nutrients from these rocks, but I'll stop once I'm sure everything is back to normal.

If I was keeping a large bioload in a relatively small system, I'd probably dose vodka on a regular basis. I don't think it's the magic cure all we've been searching for though. I don't believe its right for every system. We can take vodka dosing to far are cause more damage than good.

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2012, 01:05 AM   #231
oscar.millan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvanacker View Post
The problem is the alcohol evaporating fast.....but %60 is still water. The alcohol will evap faster then the water leaving more water and less alcohol to drive the bacteria.
It's amazing to me that so many people don't realize that alcohol evaporates in minutes not hours or days. Alcohol content may drop as much as 50% if left in an open container overnight.

Keep this in mind if you use containers that are not somewhat sealed. Obviously can't be completely sealed otherwise suction won't work if using a doser.

Thanks for the reminder dvanacker, good to let people know. Good looking out.

-Tesla

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef, 90g rimless cube.
oscar.millan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2012, 05:47 AM   #232
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegance coral View Post
Naturally, vodka dosing still "works". I'm able to keep my nutrients very low without vodka, so I don't dose on a regular basis. However, recently I knew I was getting some coral that were attached to LR, with hair algae problems. I wanted the corals, but not the algae problems, so I started dosing a few days in advance. After placing these rocks in the tank, about 80% of the algae was dead and gone in about 48 hours. It's about six days later and now pretty much all the algae is gone. I'll probably keep dosing for the next month or two just to bleed off the excess nutrients from these rocks, but I'll stop once I'm sure everything is back to normal.

If I was keeping a large bioload in a relatively small system, I'd probably dose vodka on a regular basis. I don't think it's the magic cure all we've been searching for though. I don't believe its right for every system. We can take vodka dosing to far are cause more damage than good.
Thanks for the information.what was the corals that ment so much to you? I can't even imagin that the dosing worked so quickly on that hair alge. What proof vodka did you use?

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
Unread 11/19/2012, 07:11 AM   #233
elegance coral
They call me EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblackpercula View Post
Thanks for the information.what was the corals that ment so much to you? I can't even imagin that the dosing worked so quickly on that hair alge. What proof vodka did you use?
I received several large colonies of ORA red planet, tricolor, and blue milli. I also received a large green maze brain, bicolor frogspawn, and some miscellaneous zoo's and other corals. Well worth the algae issues IMHO.

I guess I can't really give the vodka dosing all the credit. I do have two tangs. A medium sized sailfin and a medium sized chevron. They went to work on the rocks as soon as I put them in the tank. I do have two turbo snails, but I never even saw them near the new rocks. I guess it was a tag team effort. The tangs mowed down the algae, and the vodka helped to keep it from growing back.

My tank stays pretty clean, so it's not a hospitable environment for hair algae to begin with. The system may have been able to kill off the algae without the vodka, but I wanted the extra boost in nutrient export, just in case. It's a 200gl display with a 120gl sump. It has a large skimmer, 100 micron socks, no sand, no fuge, no ATS, and 100gl water changes about every two weeks.

The vodka I have is 40% alcohol, or 80 proof. I started out dosing one ML a day for several days. Now I dose two milliliters a day. One in the AM and one in the PM. I'll do this for a little longer, then cut back, and eventually stop.

HTH
EC

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2012, 08:05 AM   #234
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

I am up to week two and still no change to P04 levels and nitrates have gone down I tiny little. As you can see from the picture it looks like my P04 is 0.25 and my nitrates are around 0.25 as well. But my algae in the tank is almost all gone and thanks to my 4 emerald crabs 85% of the bubble algae is almost gone as well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.2 KB, 1274 views)

Unread 11/21/2012, 08:13 AM   #235
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Ok before and after pictures as of today.

After....the start of week two

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.0 KB, 2532 views)

Unread 01/11/2013, 05:12 PM   #236
Carey1465
Registered Member

I have a question for y'all and I dont know if someone will answer because the last posting was 11/21/12. I'm up to 13.3ml of vodka and nitrates are 2ppm. I had them at .25ppm a few weeks ago and I thought I was on the home stretch but now my nitrates are going back up. Is this common for vodka dosing? Is 13.3ml a lot??

Carey1465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2013, 09:09 AM   #237
GhostCon1
Rebmem Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey1465 View Post
I have a question for y'all and I dont know if someone will answer because the last posting was 11/21/12. I'm up to 13.3ml of vodka and nitrates are 2ppm. I had them at .25ppm a few weeks ago and I thought I was on the home stretch but now my nitrates are going back up. Is this common for vodka dosing? Is 13.3ml a lot??
That is a tremendous amount. How large is your system??

Current Tank Info: Getting a big'un
GhostCon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2014, 05:21 PM   #238
BrentH
Registered Member

I love bringing back old threads …I'm at. 30 ml a day and things are starting to kick in I think finally I had zero phosphates for about a week and my corals started looking sickly brought up my po4 with feeding and seemed to help with no3 started coming down right away

BrentH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2014, 12:46 PM   #239
northernreefe
Registered Member

30 ml a day seems to be excessive, but that is just what I got from reading this thread.

northernreefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2014, 09:30 PM   #240
BrentH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernreefe View Post
30 ml a day seems to be excessive, but that is just what I got from reading this thread.
It's on a 650 gallon tank

BrentH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2014, 07:30 PM   #241
Bonesg
Registered Member

Any advantage to dosing vodka if have zero nitrates and phosphates?

Bonesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2014, 01:16 PM   #242
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesg View Post
You will kill your SPS.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196"]http://www.reefcentralcom/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196
Officially Done Shipping
jackson6745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2014, 07:23 PM   #243
Bonesg
Registered Member

Thank you for the info

Bonesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2014, 07:39 PM   #244
Mikesmith34
Registered Member

Quote:
Having zero on both is a stretch. What type of testers are you using?

Mikesmith34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2015, 11:15 AM   #245
kurfer
Moved On

Quote:
What other stuff are you running? GFO/Carbon/Pellets?

Don't say nothing because that's just not right! How can you have zero of both? Do you have 0 fish?

kurfer is offline   Reply With Quote