Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/19/2018, 03:09 PM   #1
brett559
In Memoriam

Sucker buy? Name-brand return pumps...

I get that the gear is part of the fun of this hobby. And I agree that there is a big difference in quality of some components. Cheap lights aren't worth it. A cheap heater could nuke your tank. If you want no cords in the tank, you gotta pony up for a VorTech.

But I do NOT get the high-end name-brand return pump? This thing does one thing and one thing only. Why invest in a Vectra pump? Does it pump water back up to the DT in a better way?

I am still using my stock, no-name return pump that came with my CAD Lights tank. I have no idea what brand it is. It's green and black. And it has never once failed. Turns right back on every time I turn it off for water change. Contrast that with my name-brand Sicce pump which runs my chiller. It's a piece. Every time I turn it off to do a water change, I have to take it apart, pull out the impeller, put it all back together, and THEN it will start up again.

Fancy Italian pump = garbage
Cheap no-name pump = rock solid

Why not spend the money on better lights, or an MP10 or a better skimmer? I guess you could argue that if you are pinching every penny, this is the wrong hobby.

Am I wrong about this?

brett559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 03:39 PM   #2
reefgeezer
Registered Member

I use relatively small Sicce pumps, 500 gph or less. One is my return, one supplies my skimmer, and a third is a utility pump that runs my reactor when I use it, and does about anything else I need done. They aren't particularly fancy or expensive. I've used several other brands of submersible pumps. Some are better, some some are cheaper, some put out a lot of heat, some are quiet, some are noisy. I'll agree that price didn't always ensure quality but all seemed to require about the same maintenance. They all seemed to need a soak in light bleach water then in vinegar for a while about every three months.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 03:41 PM   #3
Anemone
Cloning Around

Well, I run an Ecotech return pump because it hooks up to the same Ecotech back-up battery that runs my two MP40s. Simpler that way.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 03:46 PM   #4
neilp2006
Registered Member

Sucker buy? Name-brand return pumps...

No, you’re not wrong. I’m running a jabao dcp18000 up 22 feet of head pressure and getting 900gph. Sure- half it’s rated stats, but it was 1/3rd the price of the ‘big guys pumps’, is DC so it uses like 90 watts, and I can’t hear it from 2 feet away.

People kept commenting on my threads that I’m just delaying an inevitable failure and ‘why spend twice’? I tempered that with the 3 threads I read in 8 months detailing issues with Abyzz and other high quality pumps.

I’m happy with my choice and I’ll be happy to buy another one IF this one fails any time soon

I spent the money I saved on an ATO, a doser pump, containers, a new fuge light and some kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 03:53 PM   #5
brett559
In Memoriam

When I added my new sump (after 3 years) that was the first time I ever even took apart the return pump. It was kinda dirty, but zero maintenance in 3 years.

Unread 07/19/2018, 03:54 PM   #6
brett559
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Well, I run an Ecotech return pump because it hooks up to the same Ecotech back-up battery that runs my two MP40s. Simpler that way.

Kevin
Makes sense. You're also probably a little OCD (like I am) and you like how they all match. I totally get that.

Unread 07/19/2018, 04:01 PM   #7
mikeatjac
Registered Member

I love my Vectra pump and what ever you want to do is great too.

Unread 07/19/2018, 04:04 PM   #8
brett559
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeatjac View Post
I love my Vectra pump
Why, though?

Unread 07/19/2018, 04:17 PM   #9
marinelife
Registered Member

if you are a sucker for getting a Vectra, then what I am I? I have an Abyzz A200. Nothing wrong with getting a name brand pump what has great support.

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.

Last edited by marinelife; 07/19/2018 at 04:29 PM.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 04:24 PM   #10
Bill Nye
Registered Member

The Vectra seems cool if you have a reef link but I have had the same magdrive pump for a decade and it still runs great.

Bill Nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 04:53 PM   #11
biecacka
Registered Member

Simple reefflo dart here. Old classic

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 05:25 PM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinelife View Post
if you are a sucker for getting a Vectra, then what I am I? I have an Abyzz A200. Nothing wrong with getting a name brand pump what has great support.
My mamma always said if you dont have anything nice to say.....well...you know.

Unread 07/19/2018, 07:12 PM   #13
Drewbe147
Registered Member

I recently bought a Reef Octo Varios6 and love it. Previous had a danner mag that came used with the tank and quit on me. I replaced with the Varios6 because I like RO brand equipment personally and I loved the DC has variable speeds feed modes float switch to shut off for protection of the pump etc. That and it is quite affordable and was in my price range to do what I wanted. Its no Abyzz but works for me. I wouldnt consider anyone a “sucker” for ordering a high end or name brand anything. If its in their price range has the perks they want or whatever more power to them. I dont have a aquarium controller like a apex or anything so making this and now my new Gyre xf250s controllable is a big plus for me personally. I read a old post as I was looking for options and someone had a nice formula for what he buys according to how long it should last for it to be a good investment in his/her opinion. Theyre formula wouldnt work for everyone but if you upgrade or change equipment whatever you can create your own basically to weight the “worth” in your own eyes. Everyone’s opinion can/is/and often will be different. Only thing we can do is gather information about said products and make the best decision based in our personal price range. The beauty of this hobby is it can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to a certain degree...

Drew

Current Tank Info: 90 gal DT 29gal sump. Equipment: 2 OR T247B, RO Varios6 return, RO 150SSS, 2 XF250 Gyres, Jager 300W
Drewbe147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 08:43 PM   #14
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Some of the more expensive pumps are dc, run cooler, use less electricity and are quieter. That being said I still use danner mag drive for my return on my reef and a cobalt mj1200 for the return on my biocube.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 09:25 PM   #15
thegrun
Registered Member

I have two Eheim pumps with well over ten years of use on them and they still run like new. If you consider a German pump high end then yes they are well worth the money.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 09:29 PM   #16
neilp2006
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Reef View Post
Some of the more expensive pumps are dc, run cooler, use less electricity and are quieter. That being said I still use danner mag drive for my return on my reef and a cobalt mj1200 for the return on my biocube.

The Jebao dcp 18000 I use is 36 v DC, uses 89 watts at the current setting, is quieter than the water dropping 2” over my refugium baffle and hasn’t made any appreciable contribution to water temperature (but that’s because the heat is in the power supply brick, not the pump itself). And it cost 1/3rd of an abyzz .

Most of the newer pumps have those attributes, since, well, it’s not hard to make them that way now. Back when it was difficult to engineer all those features into a pump, it may have been worth a premium, but not any more. Just like any other luxury item, technology gets better, manufacturing gets easier and prices drop. Look at 4K TVs just 18 months ago, and compare to the cost now.

neilp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 09:35 PM   #17
Scottedontknow
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilp2006 View Post
No, you’re not wrong. I’m running a jabao dcp18000 up 22 feet of head pressure and getting 900gph. Sure- half it’s rated stats, but it was 1/3rd the price of the ‘big guys pumps’, is DC so it uses like 90 watts, and I can’t hear it from 2 feet away.

People kept commenting on my threads that I’m just delaying an inevitable failure and ‘why spend twice’? I tempered that with the 3 threads I read in 8 months detailing issues with Abyzz and other high quality pumps.

I’m happy with my choice and I’ll be happy to buy another one IF this one fails any time soon

I spent the money I saved on an ATO, a doser pump, containers, a new fuge light and some kits.

This^^^^ I’ve been using Jeabo pumps for years and never once have they given me an issue I currently have 2x dcp 10000 , 2x 15000 and a 2500. They run cool and are reliable. I also still use the older models to mix and move water around.

Scottedontknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 09:47 PM   #18
Reefnrob
Registered Member

Been running a I don’t know how old Jeabo that I picked up used been happy with it. I have stuck with mag drives for all these years but it’s a solid pump will most likely buy another.

Reefnrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 11:07 PM   #19
kingfish83
Registered Member

I've been running a taam rio for a return on my 125g for 8.5 yrs. Only clean it once a year. No issues to date.

kingfish83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 12:25 PM   #20
rjjr1963
Registered Member

I almost bought a Vectra and I'm glad I didn't. I went with a Jebao DC pump. I added a second one for my skimmer. I have found them to be reliable with no issues for nearly 2 years. Knock on wood.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 02:30 PM   #21
mako61
Registered Member

I have 2 return pumps one is a backup. I have a expensive name brand pump and a much cheaper Jebao about the same rating.

My more expensive pump had an issue. I got a Jebao overnighted while I got a fix. I never went back to my "better" pump after it was fixed saw no reason they preformed the same.

My only regret is not just getting 2 Jebaos. I had always planned to get a cheaper backup.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 07:23 PM   #22
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
I have two Eheim pumps with well over ten years of use on them and they still run like new. If you consider a German pump high end then yes they are well worth the money.
Yup, all the equipment I have like pumps, powerheads, heaters made in Germany are still working today, 25 years later, some need
Impellers once in a while, the heaters I change at 24 months for safety, otherwise still going strong.

Sometimes a name has meaning like BMW and Mercedes, sometimes just a name.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 06:26 AM   #23
GoJo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nye View Post
The Vectra seems cool if you have a reef link but I have had the same magdrive pump for a decade and it still runs great.
Same here. Been running a Mag 9 as my return since 2006. Requires little cleaning/maintenance, never failed, always starts back up.

GoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 01:34 PM   #24
ruiny
Registered Member

Just replaced my 12 year old dart with a vector a today. The dart quit and the vectra was in stock at the lfs.
Skimmer has a needle wheel shim fir 12 years. No problems.

Current Tank Info: 93 mixed reef
ruiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 03:27 PM   #25
FastUno
Registered Member

Germany made Eheim pump has been made rock solid & lasts a long time. VERY reliable and affordable.

Current Tank Info: SW, Reef
FastUno is offline   Reply With Quote