Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2007, 08:17 PM   #176
melev
Moved On

Buddy, you aren't concerned about the sand having anoxic layers by now? Usually I don't worry unless it is over 6 months old, so you're still in the safe zone, but you said cycle and I don't know how it was tied into your livestock situation (if any).

I would try to collect the top inch (the most life will be there), and then place the bulk in your tank and place the top 1" worth on top of that.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2007, 07:31 PM   #177
Buddy Pine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Buddy, you aren't concerned about the sand having anoxic layers by now? Usually I don't worry unless it is over 6 months old, so you're still in the safe zone, but you said cycle and I don't know how it was tied into your livestock situation (if any).

I would try to collect the top inch (the most life will be there), and then place the bulk in your tank and place the top 1" worth on top of that.
The new sand were with the old rocks during cooking stage separated from the sump where my livestocks are. I'm basically starting the second time from scratch not worried about anything else that's why I wasn't in a hurry, but I've added the sand in the DT tonight, thanks for the heads up. My intension this time was to start up with a clean biological system as much as possible, avoiding bad hitchhikers? I'll be adding only a few new live rocks but quarantined and inspected before it goes to my DT. I know it's gonna be impossible but i'll try my best, am I dreamin'? I'm still learning everyday, your inputs are very important to me. Thanks again for all your contributions.

Buddy Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2007, 07:31 PM   #178
Buddy Pine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev

The new sand were with the old rocks during cooking stage separated from the sump where my livestocks are. I'm basically starting the second time from scratch not worried about anything else that's why I wasn't in a hurry, but I've added the sand in the DT tonight, thanks for the heads up. My intension this time was to start up with a clean biological system as much as possible, avoiding bad hitchhikers? I'll be adding only a few new live rocks but quarantined and inspected before it goes to my DT. I know it's gonna be impossible but i'll try my best, am I dreamin'? I'm still learning everyday, your inputs are very important to me. Thanks again for all your contributions.

Unread 02/09/2007, 04:00 PM   #179
topshotta
Registered Member

Looks like it's going to be a beatiful setup! What kind of rock is that (dry) looks sort of like Tufa, or is that from your old system?

topshotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2007, 06:17 PM   #180
Buddy Pine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by topshotta
Looks like it's going to be a beatiful setup! What kind of rock is that (dry) looks sort of like Tufa, or is that from your old system?
Yes, the rocks are from the old system cooked for a few months, additional new live rocks will be added which I already have in the sump.

Unread 02/23/2007, 05:11 PM   #181
dwd5813
Registered Member

your resiliance is worthy of applause. i'm sure the new reef will be mind blowing. best of everything on your new adventure.

dwd5813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2007, 06:49 PM   #182
Sectoid
Registered Member

Quote:
Newly acquired livestock: "CATFISH"
[/B]
Sorry to hear about your tank...always fun starting over though. I saw the picture and actually laughed so hard, Dr. Pepper cam out my nose. My cat just used to watch my tank. Never got in.

Current Tank Info: 58 Gal Reef Tank/5 Gal Mantis Tank
Sectoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2007, 11:20 AM   #183
sgolden
Registered Member

i really like the openness of the new rockwork, and am glad to see you didnt give in...man...i would give a kidney to have the set up you are building...

Current Tank Info: 300 GAL 6 tank linked system.diy beckett downdraft skimmer and diy ca reactor,and kalk reactor
sgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2007, 08:36 AM   #184
CoralFiend
Registered Member

I had bookmarked this thread way back in the octopus stage and never saw the crash...until today. This thread is amazing with it's roller coaster ride of emotions.

Buddy Pine I too know the feeling of coming home to a 10 day old dead reef that I had babied for 7 years. Mine was only a 75 (pics in my gallery), but hurt none the less. I lost mine to Hurricane Rita in '05 and the subsequent 14 days with no power. My excitement to return home and find my house still standing was quickly knocked down a few notches when I opened the door to find the remains of my reef. I cannot even describe the disappointment I felt, so I know how this affected you.

I was so excited to see you coming back with a vengeance, as this is what I have decided to do also (albeit on a smaller scale than you). Crashes suck, but true reefers are a hardy breed that never give up. Your new set up will be awesome! Love everything you have done so far.

I will anxiously follow this thread again, because I have a feeling it will be all good news from here on out! Please keep us updated or link us to a new build thread, if you start one. Personally, I think you should just contiune this one.

Last edited by CoralFiend; 03/10/2007 at 08:53 AM.
CoralFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2007, 06:26 PM   #185
morayeelsrule
Registered Member

hey if you ever decide you don't want i have the perfect tank for him and would be more than willing to pay for him thanks
ryan

morayeelsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2007, 07:20 PM   #186
jamesbuf
Registered Member

very cool

Unread 03/15/2007, 11:57 PM   #187
asfullax
Registered Member

Absolutly amazing. I am in shock, your old system looked wonderfull, but the new system is just truely inspiring. I wish you the best of luck and I will be watching this thread as I have since the begining. with my attention span, I am amazed at how your story has kept me following. in the words of dori (sorry I had to) "This is gonna be great, I can tell."

Current Tank Info: 2.5yr old, 129 Mixed Reef
asfullax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2007, 05:55 PM   #188
SgtMaj
Registered Member

makes me want one... well, more than before.

Wish I had a good tank for one.

SgtMaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2007, 12:30 AM   #189
ipwizard
Premium Member

BUMP

Any new info on your tank?

Current Tank Info: 80g FW,
ipwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2007, 08:45 PM   #190
Buddy Pine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ipwizard
BUMP

Thanks for your interest, I though this thread got tired. Well, for an update, I still don't have my full filtration system, my Schuran AQ250 Jetstream and other filters should be here next week or let just say a few more weeks. I'vbe spared a lot of patience for this and it better be worth it, waiting for it for almost 6 months! My poor Euro Reef RS?80 model is working overtime. Removed the Tunze 6100 and rock camo, the Hammerhead CL is doing just fine. Here are some latest photos as of tonight, please note i've switched places on rock #2 and #8.

Left side:

Centre:

Right side:

End shots:

FT shot:

I'm now paranoid about "Hitchhikers" when I buy new Corals!

Unread 04/22/2007, 08:45 PM   #191
Buddy Pine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ipwizard
BUMP

Thanks for your interest, I though this thread got tired. Well, for an update, I still don't have my full filtration system, my Schuran AQ250 Jetstream and other filters should be here next week or let just say a few more weeks. I'vbe spared a lot of patience for this and it better be worth it, waiting for it for almost 6 months! My poor Euro Reef RS?80 model is working overtime. Removed the Tunze 6100 and rock camo, the Hammerhead CL is doing just fine. Here are some latest photos as of tonight, please note i've switched places on rock #2 and #8.

Left side:

Centre:

Right side:

End shots:

FT shot:

I'm now paranoid about "Hitchhikers" when I buy new Corals!

Unread 04/22/2007, 09:50 PM   #192
melev
Moved On

It looks great! What a turn around; nice job.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2007, 10:09 PM   #193
ipwizard
Premium Member

I second that what a rollercoaster ride you have been through. I'm glad you stuck with the hobby and even "upgraded" your setup .

I know the thread just died out last month I just happened across it and just had to find out how your tank was doing.

Thanks for the update!!

Unread 04/23/2007, 12:56 AM   #194
the_anti_honda
Registered Member

I have been following this thread for some time and and would like to third what was said above..

After it fills in a bit I could see someone being nominated for TOTM in the future. Not that you would be far from deserving it now.

Current Tank Info: Taking a break from the hobby
the_anti_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2007, 07:33 PM   #195
Buddy Pine
Registered Member

After searching and waiting for over six months, my Schuran stuff finally arrived today.

$4,000 worth of plastics?

Unread 04/24/2007, 11:25 PM   #196
ipwizard
Premium Member

Ahh new toys to play with Nice

Unread 04/27/2007, 09:34 PM   #197
TheSaltwaterGuy
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your tank. But look, now you have a bigger and better tank!!! I don't mean to be corny or anything, but people like you inspire me. You kept your head up and never quit when things got tough and you came out strong.

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." - Robert Bloch
TheSaltwaterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2007, 09:34 AM   #198
BigPerm1
Registered Member

So since no one else asked, when are you getting another octopus??? =)

BigPerm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2007, 09:07 PM   #199
sgolden
Registered Member

man...i hope all your schuran toys came with a nice mortgage...

Current Tank Info: 300 GAL 6 tank linked system.diy beckett downdraft skimmer and diy ca reactor,and kalk reactor
sgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2007, 06:33 AM   #200
Buddy Pine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigPerm1
So since no one else asked, when are you getting another octopus??? =)
No thanks, such wonderfull and intelligent creatures and yet only about a year or two to live. In my experienced, you bond with one and they require a lot more care and attention. It would just break my heart when their time goes and I don't want that to happen to me again. I never even thought of owning an Octopus, it was just a fluke, what are the odds eh? like winning a lottery or something.