Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/20/2018, 10:33 AM   #976
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Dom your tank is looking really good man, love that C. colini in there.

How large are those conchs? I wish we could get those here, they look really pretty, I have a tonga fighting conch and always enjoyed having it.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2018, 04:29 PM   #977
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinphillip03 View Post
It must of hurt a bit having to get rid one of your wrasses.

Marty
Wasn't too painful given how many snails he ate and that he wasn't an "on the list" wrasse lol he was getting way too big anyway haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshky View Post
Dom your tank is looking really good man, love that C. colini in there.

How large are those conchs? I wish we could get those here, they look really pretty, I have a tonga fighting conch and always enjoyed having it.
Thanks Josh! I need to take some new pictures of the tank soon! The colini gets nicer by the day! The blue is just glowing!

The conch's are like half a pinky in size! So they're tiny haha I love them so much that I'm going to get another 2 or 3 haha

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2018, 06:35 PM   #978
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Thanks Josh! I need to take some new pictures of the tank soon! The colini gets nicer by the day! The blue is just glowing!

The conch's are like half a pinky in size! So they're tiny haha I love them so much that I'm going to get another 2 or 3 haha
I've always thought colinis were underrated, but I'm not risking my blue squamosa to a Centropyge. I never have good luck when I roll the dice.

Ship some to me!

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 03:39 AM   #979
Rakie
In Memoriam

Things are coming along nicely!

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 06:47 PM   #980
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshky View Post
I've always thought colinis were underrated, but I'm not risking my blue squamosa to a Centropyge. I never have good luck when I roll the dice.

Ship some to me!
Colini's were never on my list to start with but when I saw this guy in the store, his personality killed me! (his refusal to eat prepared foods for several months nearly killed me too haha) but he and Burgers are best friends now and hang out together most of the time, never far from each other!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Things are coming along nicely!
Thanks man, I'm pretty happy with it!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Unread 06/25/2018, 06:48 PM   #981
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

So in my constant need to want to get things running a little smoother and tidier (and hopefully get some better results) I'm looking at a 36" ReefBrite halide hybrid setup with two Radiums and the two actinic XHO strips! No more t5 changes and a much nicer looking setup lol dunno though haha

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 06/25/2018, 10:39 PM   #982
Rakie
In Memoriam

Dom -- I'm not the biggest fan of the RB XHO. IMHO, it really needs UV/Violet to make more colors pop, and make them pop more dramatically.

I don't know how much you want to be a guinea pig.. But Orphek has a new LED Bar that is WAY Cheaper than an XHO, and a WIDE variety of spectrums to choose from.

The ReefBrite XHO vs Orphek cost 48"
- RB $360
- Orphek is $160

Wattage for 48"
- RB 144w
- Orphek 108w

Spectrum Selection; ReefBrite
- Actinic (450nm)
- White
- 50/50

Spectrum Selection; Orphek LED bar
- Reef Daylight – Full Spectrum Daylight 18,000K (380nm- 700nm)

- Blue sky – Blue /Cyan Spectrum (450-500 nm) (ReefBrite Spectrum)

- UV/Violet – UV/Violet (380- 440nm) (Ultimate full spectrum POP)

[B]And here's UV/Violet with SkyBlue

And these two you won't need
- Freshwater Planted – Full Spectrum Daylight 7000K (380nm- 750nm ) for fresh water & planted aquariums.
- Refugium & Grow Light – Full Spectrum Grow Light is the most complex spectrum for macro algae or other flourish plants.

Just some food for thought Dom. Hopefully those pictures aren't giant... If they are, I will upload them and edit the post!

Last edited by Rakie; 06/25/2018 at 11:05 PM.
Unread 06/26/2018, 07:30 PM   #983
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Rake, nice post. Do, you have friends. Tell Dave, this Thursday night, in your exclusive, "Thursday Nite at DPA", about these lights.
I am sure he would rather carry these.

Marty

martinphillip03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2018, 04:49 AM   #984
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Alrighty, so change of plans again (reefbrite were stupidly expensive to ship) I need some reassurance/guidance/confirmation of some thoughts and plans I have for lighting upgrades.
My tank is 39x24x18" and is completely sps dominated and will continue to be so. The current lighting setup I run is a bit of a mess that I want to tidy and sort out, this is what's currently running:
- 1x 250w Radium MH
- 4x 24w T5's (2 of each Giesemann actinic plus and lagoon blue)
- 1x 36" sBar Actinic led strip

Now, there's nothing actually wrong with my current setup and it grows and colours acro's very nicely but I want to simplify and get some more led action going as the light unit heats up the apartment pretty well! (I also LOVE blue light haha)

My thoughts at the moment are to do delete the whole lot and run with one of the following options:
- 2x XR30 G4 Pro's + 1x 250w Radium
- 2x XR30 G4 Pro's
- 3x XR30 G4 Pro's (this option definitely would be the end game result)

My real issue is my love for the Radium MH, I'm really uncertain about letting this beauty go and moving to purely LED (I've run led only in the past so it's not an anti-LED sentiment). I guess what I'm saying is I need some reassurance on the decision to dump it all for Radions lol

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/05/2018, 04:50 AM   #985
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Post copied from elsewhere and I couldn't be bothered editing haha that's why it reads a little odd

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/05/2018, 04:19 PM   #986
Rakie
In Memoriam

- 3x XR30 G4 Pro's

Unread 07/05/2018, 04:50 PM   #987
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Plans may have changed for the thousandth time haha

Enter the fourth and now more likely option haha
- 250w Radium
- 2x 36" sBar actinic strips
- 2x or 4x 39w T5's haha

(and maybe a much nicer hood haha)

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/05/2018, 10:29 PM   #988
Rakie
In Memoriam

Every major coral retailer has switched to Radion for a reason. The G4 is the LED that is on par with T5 (no pun intended).

These shops can afford to run anything -- Especially with Solar Power. They choose Radion for a reason

Unread 07/06/2018, 08:04 PM   #989
martinphillip03
Registered Member

I think someone more qualified than me should answer this! Andrew Biggles!

Marty

Unread 07/15/2018, 06:33 PM   #990
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Will be getting a second sBar actinic strip to tide me over till I can go a little bit further The Radiums are definitely staying as I swapped the bulb over on Saturday

Still got lots of filling in to do in the tank but slowly slowly getting there I have bought an acro colony in months

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/16/2018, 08:39 AM   #991
Pife
Registered Member

More pictures!

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 01:01 PM   #992
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Very nice? Have you heard about Andrews problems? Hope all your SPS are safe! Thanks for the update. I do believe you could have done better. But your post is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Marty

Quote:
Will be getting a second sBar actinic strip to tide me over till I can go a little bit further The Radiums are definitely staying as I swapped the bulb over on Saturday

Still got lots of filling in to do in the tank but slowly slowly getting there I have bought an acro colony in months

Unread 07/21/2018, 05:36 PM   #993
Jay Ellul
Registered Member

Quote:
Alrighty, so change of plans again (reefbrite were stupidly expensive to ship) I need some reassurance/guidance/confirmation of some thoughts and plans I have for lighting upgrades.
My tank is 39x24x18" and is completely sps dominated and will continue to be so. The current lighting setup I run is a bit of a mess that I want to tidy and sort out, this is what's currently running:
- 1x 250w Radium MH
- 4x 24w T5's (2 of each Giesemann actinic plus and lagoon blue)
- 1x 36" sBar Actinic led strip

Now, there's nothing actually wrong with my current setup and it grows and colours acro's very nicely but I want to simplify and get some more led action going as the light unit heats up the apartment pretty well! (I also LOVE blue light haha)

My thoughts at the moment are to do delete the whole lot and run with one of the following options:
- 2x XR30 G4 Pro's + 1x 250w Radium
- 2x XR30 G4 Pro's
- 3x XR30 G4 Pro's (this option definitely would be the end game result)

My real issue is my love for the Radium MH, I'm really uncertain about letting this beauty go and moving to purely LED (I've run led only in the past so it's not an anti-LED sentiment). I guess what I'm saying is I need some reassurance on the decision to dump it all for Radions lol

There are only two options. Giesmann Spectra or ATI hybrid. Stop flogging around mate hahaha

Unread 07/22/2018, 05:45 PM   #994
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
More pictures!
Camera battery is charging! Going to do a clean and tidy tonight after work

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinphillip03 View Post
Very nice? Have you heard about Andrews problems? Hope all your SPS are safe! Thanks for the update. I do believe you could have done better. But your post is better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Marty
Yeah, we're all safe here but he's doing well as well. Completely redoing the scape and dipping all the acro's but he's doing good
There's more coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ellul View Post
There are only two options. Giesmann Spectra or ATI hybrid. Stop flogging around mate hahaha
hahaha as long as I have a Radium and some blue leds I'm happy!

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/23/2018, 08:41 PM   #995
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Few pics from last night Pretty happy with how things are progressing but still waaayyyy too empty haha

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/23/2018, 09:26 PM   #996
Jay Ellul
Registered Member

Looking wicked mate!

Still too much blue light but hahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 07/23/2018, 11:52 PM   #997
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ellul View Post
Looking wicked mate!

Still too much blue light but hahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your lucky, I may do one with the halides on just to shut you up

Thanks man

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/25/2018, 07:41 AM   #998
Jay Ellul
Registered Member

Quote:
If your lucky, I may do one with the halides on just to shut you up

Thanks man
good boy lol

Unread 08/03/2018, 05:47 PM   #999
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Wrangy, Been a week, how about an update. Also wouldn't mind hearing about your peppers

Marty

Unread 08/04/2018, 06:40 AM   #1000
markalot

Catching up. The tank filled with nets was a serious LOL moment for me.

I agree with no Reef Brights, I see they are too expensive anyway. Goofy looking light, I have a small 24" all blue fixture which is unusable IMO.

More pics!