Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2018, 09:12 AM   #1
Michael 2005
Registered Member

Green hair algae

Hello fellow hobbyists. I have a 75 gallon mixed SPS an LPS reef for about 1 year. sand bed 1.25". live rock 70lbs. 2 AI hydra output at 45%. I run a DIY algae reactor with cheato , skimmer, carbon reactor. Pump dose B-Ionic alk, calcium and mag. Also dose vodka for a good measure. Parameters are excellent. nitrates 0, phosphate 0.03. water change weekly 5 gallons. Live stock 2 clowns and small blue tang, all there since the start. clean up crew 4 emerald crabs, cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, and 3 snails that go nowhere near the algae... Blue tang doesn't even touch the algae either. Crabs visibly scrub all rock surfaces EXCEPT where the algae grow!

Coral nutrition: oyster feast 1ml and reefroids 1/8 teaspoon daily. fish nutrition formula 2 pellets and frozen brine shrimp once a day. I feed fish slowly and stop when stop eating.

the algae've been growing for about 2 months and spreading on more rocks despite me scrubbing it off once a week with tooth brush. SPS and LPS growth is very good so I am reluctant to turn the lights output down.

please help!

Michael 2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2018, 11:09 AM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hello Michael 2005! There seem to be a new crop of chemicals available, that folks are having success with. I'm kind of a natural solutions guy, so here's my two cents.

First off, once you have a problem algae, excellent parameters numbers are not particularly helpful. The algae already has all the nutrients it needs bound up, and they can recycle them.

I focus on three things: nutrient control, competition for nutrients, and a diverse clean up crew.

For nutrient control, feeding less, good export and good, pure water are suggested.

Competition for nutrients, like your chaeto reactor, should help. How is yours doing? If the chaeto is growing well, don't forget to export it regularly. If not, make adjustments like more light and higher flow-through.

Your crew could use some diversity. Add one or two Nassarius snails. These guys don't eat algae. They eat leftover food scraps. Get about twenty Cerith snails. These snails reproduce in your tank, so their population regulates by the amount of algae available. A single sea cucumber and fighting conch will keep your sand bed clean. You could also add another herbivorous fish or two. Lawnmower blennies, Scopus tangs and mollies are three of many choices.

I have a few other random suggestions. Not much goes after hair algae, unless you first manually rip out the long stuff, then place your favorite snails or crabs right onto the shortened patch. You could temporarily remove your clowns and stop feeding the tank altogether for a while. When there's nothing to eat but algae, everybody loves algae! Finally, consider a decorative red macro algae for your display. Chaeto is great for getting high nutrients down, but once they're down, chaeto tends to suffer. Some of the slower growing reds do fine with lower nutrients found in reef tanks.

Well that's about it. I hope there's something useful to you in there. Best of luck!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2018, 04:57 PM   #3
lapin
Registered Member

Exactly what he said.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2018, 06:54 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Fluconazole...do it..
And yes stopping your coral food is a great start at reducing nutrient levels in the tank...photosynthetic corals dont need to be fed..

Unread 09/23/2018, 07:12 PM   #5
Joe0813
Registered Member

What is fluconazole

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2018, 07:37 PM   #6
OhsCC
Registered Member

That's cool. My new nano tank is having a gha issue. If I do this I will post.

OhsCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2018, 07:43 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
What is fluconazole
A chemical that kills gha, bryopsis, and bubble algae without harming other macro algaes or anything else...Sold under the name Reef Flux

Unread 09/23/2018, 07:56 PM   #8
Joe0813
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
A chemical that kills gha, bryopsis, and bubble algae without harming other macro algaes or anything else...Sold under the name Reef Flux
hmmm wonder if it will kill turf algae too

Unread 09/23/2018, 07:58 PM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
hmmm wonder if it will kill turf algae too
I believe it does..forgot that one in my list

Unread 09/23/2018, 08:14 PM   #10
Joe0813
Registered Member

thank you, I'm going to try this out

Unread 09/26/2018, 12:40 PM   #11
CLM65
Registered Member

Interesting that the Reef Flux product info on the BRS website says it doesn’t work on hair or turf algae, yet there are many folks here that have experienced the opposite. I’m debating between Reef Flux and Vibrant. Both seem to get positive results based on this forum. Not sure which is better for turf algae...

CLM65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2018, 01:04 PM   #12
smatter
Registered Member

I have had success in keeping filamentous algae in check with aggressive mechanical filtration that is changed frequently and the suspension of water changes. Yes you heard me right, stop changing water for now. It's been mentioned already, but I will say it again, cease and desist with the coral food.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2018, 10:08 AM   #13
aquamann183
Registered Member

Quote:
Will the fluconazole "fix" the problem, or just help you get rid of the algae quickly while you work on getting your phosphates down?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

aquamann183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2018, 10:24 AM   #14
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamann183 View Post
Will the fluconazole "fix" the problem, or just help you get rid of the algae quickly while you work on getting your phosphates down?

Fluconazole does not reduce phosphates...The presence of algae doesnt necessarily indicate a phosphate problem either...

Unread 09/29/2018, 10:59 AM   #15
sacremon
Registered Member

My wife has gha cropping up in her 32g tank, so definitely something I will think about in regards to

I have a pencil urchin that appears to eat pretty much anything on the rocks in my tank. I know that because my chaeto in the sump has clumps of bubble algae in it, but there is no bubble algae in the DT. The one time I tried to start green star polyps growing in the tank the urchin ate those too.

The concept of "feeding slowly until the fish stop eating" would be way too much food in my tank. I can't even imagine my batfish getting sated enough to stop eating. That fish has a bottomless stomach.

Unread 09/29/2018, 03:37 PM   #16
aquamann183
Registered Member

Quote:
Fluconazole does not reduce phosphates...The presence of algae doesnt necessarily indicate a phosphate problem either...
Okay, what else does algae feed on? I'm assuming photosynthesis and therefore lowering the intensity/amount our lights are on will help with that. What else can we do to help reduce the algae?

Unread 09/30/2018, 12:50 PM   #17
Michael 2005
Registered Member

has anyone tried Dr. Tim's Re-Fresh followed by Waste-Away?

Michael 2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2018, 06:41 PM   #18
kware
Registered Member

I'm very interested in this fluconazole made by Reef Flux. I've been battling bubble algae and a few other algae's for years now. Will this stuff really get rid of bubble algae and not hurt the corals?
The description says it is for treating fungal infections in fish? and doesn't say anything about removing algae ?

kware is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2018, 11:24 PM   #19
sacremon
Registered Member

Do a search on the Internet, you will find accounts of people successfully using it to eliminate gha and bryopsis. It isn't cheap if you have a large tank, though.

Unread 10/01/2018, 11:38 AM   #20
smatter
Registered Member

Quote:
Okay, what else does algae feed on? I'm assuming photosynthesis and therefore lowering the intensity/amount our lights are on will help with that. What else can we do to help reduce the algae?

Iron can fuel algae. Organics that are added to some salt mixes like vitamins and amino acids can too.

Unread 10/01/2018, 02:16 PM   #21
Hybodus
Registered Member

I tried all the other methods and could never completely eliminate hair algae until I finally tried fluconazole. It took 2 treatments over a period of about 10 weeks but it finally worked.

I kept trying to keep nitrates and phosphates near zero. First, this didn't really help. Two, and more importantly, this was hurting the growth of the corals in my tank. My tank has never looked better and I don't worry so much about over feeding or running GFO etc.

I personally believe that once hair algae is in your tank, it's nearly impossible to completely remove unless you take drastic measures, or treat with fluconazole.... just my opinion though.

Hybodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2018, 03:58 PM   #22
aquamann183
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smatter View Post
Iron can fuel algae. Organics that are added to some salt mixes like vitamins and amino acids can too.
How do you suggest to keep the algae at bay by reducing iron and the organise added by salt mixes?

Unread 10/01/2018, 03:59 PM   #23
aquamann183
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybodus View Post
I tried all the other methods and could never completely eliminate hair algae until I finally tried fluconazole. It took 2 treatments over a period of about 10 weeks but it finally worked.

I kept trying to keep nitrates and phosphates near zero. First, this didn't really help. Two, and more importantly, this was hurting the growth of the corals in my tank. My tank has never looked better and I don't worry so much about over feeding or running GFO etc.

I personally believe that once hair algae is in your tank, it's nearly impossible to completely remove unless you take drastic measures, or treat with fluconazole.... just my opinion though.
Is fluconazole something you do periodically? Or a one and done kind of thing? Do you know any good reads on it?

Unread 10/01/2018, 07:19 PM   #24
Hybodus
Registered Member

You put something like 1 capsule per 10 gallons all at once. Just follow the instructions if you buy Reef Flux. I left it in for 4 or 5 weeks before a water change and repeated the whole thing one more time. Search this site, plenty on info on the subjuct. Good luck

Hybodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2018, 11:10 AM   #25
smatter
Registered Member

Quote:
How do you suggest to keep the algae at bay by reducing iron and the organise added by salt mixes?

Cut back on water changes and use a marinemix that doesn't contain added organics like plain old Instant Ocean.