Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/06/2018, 09:31 PM   #1
ReefTankHunter
Registered Member

Gyre users

Was just curious, how many are using gyre wavemakers in there tanks.
Have a BB, 6 ft tank, was thinking about adding one.

ReefTankHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2018, 12:09 PM   #2
ReefTankHunter
Registered Member

Well, I guess this answers my question. I will stickl to my powerhead in the acro tank.Thank you, it sincerely helped.

Unread 11/07/2018, 12:26 PM   #3
Ostentum
Registered Member

LOL. I am actually going to use 2 250s on my 8ft tank, I am also using 2 wave pucks on the back of the tank and then a L1 on a closed loop in multiple different modes through out the day. You are going to be hard pressed to find any pump that moves water like the gyre. My goal is to have to roll from one side of the tank to the other alternating intensity from 100% to 0% where when the pump on the left is at 90% the right side will be at 10% and decrease till one is off and the other is at 100%, rolling back and forth from left to right.

Ostentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2018, 12:54 PM   #4
shred5
Registered Member

Lots of people use them.. I use them on several tanks.
Best flow and type of flow.

Unread 11/07/2018, 02:06 PM   #5
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefTankHunter View Post
Well, I guess this answers my question. I will stickl to my powerhead in the acro tank.Thank you, it sincerely helped.
Don't give up quite so fast!

I used to use them on a 125 (2 250s). I liked them a decent amount, but moved away from them for a couple of reasons.

1. The noise level. I hate noise, and when these changed speeds, they were very audible. They also emitted a very unpleasant frequency (at least for me) that was continuously mildly irritating.

2. Flow pattern. While they move A LOT of water for their wattage and size, it is very unidirectional. I had a hard time creating the truly random flow patterns I was looking for. They also didn't move a lot of water at the far end of the tank, although admittedly this may have been how I had them aimed. I was just looking for more velocity at the ends of the tank. And there were several spots that always received the same direction, regardless of which one was running and at what speed.

I was looking for much more variability, and ended up going with 4 tunze 6065's. Rated at much less flow, but i feel as though tunze under rates their pumps while most manufacturers grossly over rate their pumps. There is definitely something going on there... Not saying the maxspect does this, as they move water across a large area, so its not as apparent.

There are plenty of people that use them and love them, and if properly placed, will give excellent flow. Just not my cup of tea.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2018, 06:04 PM   #6
biggles
Registered Member

I use a Maxspect XF280 and Tunze 6095 as the only flow in my 5ft x 32" x 18" SPS only display.

I made a video for you to show you what the flow looks like. From a distance it doesn't look like the flow is doing much but when you get in closer you see the massive water movement around the acros. You should also see the 4 second on off pulse flow surging down the tank and rolling down the front panel which gives a very strong surging return flow along the bottom.

The biggest tip i can give anyone using a gyre in the way i am is to rotate the screens upwards about 1/4" and drop the pump down so that the flow breaks the water surface about 1 ft from the pump. This does two important things for me.

It drastically improves the flow around and under the gyre where the returning water rises up from the bottom. The area under the gyre will be much too serene in regards to flow if you have the screens pointing straight ahead and the pump way up high.
If you had a mixed reef though then the area near and under your gyre is perfect for wavy flubber whilst the other end is where you have your reef evolve into higher flow corals like acros etc.

The second thing the upward gyre surge does is cause the flow to become much more random as the return along the bottom 1/3 of the display mixes and interacts much more with the surges along the top in the opposite direction. If i set the pump grids to straight ahead and lift the gyre i see the return flow along the bottom become a constant one direction flow without any changes in flow intensity. There is much more surge/return flow interaction when the gyre is lower and pointing slightly upwards.

I have the 6095 beside the XF280 basically as a means to further randomize the surges coming from the gyre. Sometimes the gyre surges alone, sometimes with a 6095 as well and sometimes they both sit idle for a couple of seconds. The display runs fine with just the XF280 but being SPS only i like to have lots of flow up my sleeve.
The only noise comes when i turn the return off and the water starts splashing off the snails in the weir. The gyre is running at 100% during the entire video and is very quiet for me as i sleep with my head about 8 ft from the pump.

I loooooove my Maxspect XF280

Unread 11/07/2018, 07:17 PM   #7
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
...wavy flubber...

Good explanation and video, BTW.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2018, 08:22 PM   #8
ReefTankHunter
Registered Member

Thank you all very much, Also want to thank Giggles for the nice video. Very good.

Unread 11/07/2018, 08:52 PM   #9
Piper27
I love bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostentum View Post
LOL. I am actually going to use 2 250s on my 8ft tank, I am also using 2 wave pucks on the back of the tank and then a L1 on a closed loop in multiple different modes through out the day. You are going to be hard pressed to find any pump that moves water like the gyre. My goal is to have to roll from one side of the tank to the other alternating intensity from 100% to 0% where when the pump on the left is at 90% the right side will be at 10% and decrease till one is off and the other is at 100%, rolling back and forth from left to right.
How do you like the wave pucks? I love mine, I took off my mp40s I like them so much.

I don't like unidirectional flow from the gyre either, or the fact they need to be cleaned often and are hard to clean. Great on large tanks but not really great as the only powerhead in the tank. Plus the reverse flow isn't strong at all ime.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 08:53 AM   #10
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
I use a Maxspect XF280 and Tunze 6095 as the only flow in my 5ft x 32" x 18" SPS only display.

I made a video for you to show you what the flow looks like. From a distance it doesn't look like the flow is doing much but when you get in closer you see the massive water movement around the acros. You should also see the 4 second on off pulse flow surging down the tank and rolling down the front panel which gives a very strong surging return flow along the bottom.

The biggest tip i can give anyone using a gyre in the way i am is to rotate the screens upwards about 1/4" and drop the pump down so that the flow breaks the water surface about 1 ft from the pump. This does two important things for me.

It drastically improves the flow around and under the gyre where the returning water rises up from the bottom. The area under the gyre will be much too serene in regards to flow if you have the screens pointing straight ahead and the pump way up high.
If you had a mixed reef though then the area near and under your gyre is perfect for wavy flubber whilst the other end is where you have your reef evolve into higher flow corals like acros etc.

The second thing the upward gyre surge does is cause the flow to become much more random as the return along the bottom 1/3 of the display mixes and interacts much more with the surges along the top in the opposite direction. If i set the pump grids to straight ahead and lift the gyre i see the return flow along the bottom become a constant one direction flow without any changes in flow intensity. There is much more surge/return flow interaction when the gyre is lower and pointing slightly upwards.

I have the 6095 beside the XF280 basically as a means to further randomize the surges coming from the gyre. Sometimes the gyre surges alone, sometimes with a 6095 as well and sometimes they both sit idle for a couple of seconds. The display runs fine with just the XF280 but being SPS only i like to have lots of flow up my sleeve.
The only noise comes when i turn the return off and the water starts splashing off the snails in the weir. The gyre is running at 100% during the entire video and is very quiet for me as i sleep with my head about 8 ft from the pump.

I loooooove my Maxspect XF280

Where was this explanation 6 months ago... This is the EXACT information I could have used to make my application much more successful, although i had 2 250s in a 6 ft. The noise issue still would have been there for me though. I played around with mine quite a bit and never got to where you are.

Good info!

Unread 11/08/2018, 09:05 AM   #11
shred5
Registered Member

I was in a rush when I did my post.

I have used gyres on pretty much every tank since launch. I love the wide gentle flow. conical flow like most other circulation pumps has a hot spot right in front of where the water exits and get less and less the farther out you go.
They move massive amounts of water compared to anything I have owned.
They are quiet. There was some issues early on with them but they are fixed. They changed the mounts to make them quieter. If people have noise issues they probably have older model or they are two small for the set up and running them close to full.

They only get noisy when you approach 90 percent.
My Vortech make more noise.
They are not dead silent but no pump is. My skimmer makes more noise.

The new advanced controller makes them much easier to set up. Also the SYNA-G ICV6 connect controller works on them now and is friggen easy to use. Allows you to use your phone to control them?

Last edited by shred5; 11/08/2018 at 09:28 AM.
shred5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 12:35 PM   #12
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
I was in a rush when I did my post.

I have used gyres on pretty much every tank since launch. I love the wide gentle flow. conical flow like most other circulation pumps has a hot spot right in front of where the water exits and get less and less the farther out you go.
They move massive amounts of water compared to anything I have owned.
They are quiet. There was some issues early on with them but they are fixed. They changed the mounts to make them quieter. If people have noise issues they probably have older model or they are two small for the set up and running them close to full.

They only get noisy when you approach 90 percent.
My Vortech make more noise.
They are not dead silent but no pump is. My skimmer makes more noise.

The new advanced controller makes them much easier to set up. Also the SYNA-G ICV6 connect controller works on them now and is friggen easy to use. Allows you to use your phone to control them?
That new controller would be super handy.

As far as noise goes, i had a new gen and a 1st gen with upgraded mount. I found both too loud starting at 40%, the new one was actually louder (or at least a more obnoxious frequency) even after the break in. That being said, i run a very quiet tank, filtration in another room. My tunzes make noise, but it seems a lot less, and a much lower, more tolerable frequency for me.

Noise is such a personal, and setup specific thing. I only wanted to comment on it because i too read it was only the old ones that were loud, and the new ones were fine up to 90%. That just simply wasnt true for me.

As i said before though, its hard to beat them for total water movement, especially with the information biggles posted on placement and aiming.

Unread 11/08/2018, 05:13 PM   #13
reefmutt
Registered Member

I have 4 gyres in my 250g 5 foot long tank.
2 x 150 on a wave maker so they alternate every minute. They are mounted on either end of the tank and blow at each other but alternate for full tank turn over each minute.
Behind these two are 2 x 230 on a maxspect controller. They are on random and also face each other.
This gives me great movement as well as lots of random flow.
Not crazy about the whining sound but it subsided significantly as the pumps work in over the first several months.
Guys from a couple months ago..

I love them for how much water they can move.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 05:13 PM   #14
reefmutt
Registered Member

Double post..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 09:19 PM   #15
biggles
Registered Member

I should mention that i had the original series 250 which was the largest at the time and the rotor and screen changes for cleaning were a nightmare. There were little grommets and bits of plastic bearing etc that made the whole thing a pain.
The new series takes a couple of minutes to swap out as there are just the two push on pull off rotors and the two screens to push back on - that's it. The pumps come with spare rotors and screens so you clean the dirty stuff when you feel like it after the quick swap out.

This is how i get the most out of my gyre and 6095 setup. After a rotor swap i also clean the 6095 that sits beside it.

The gyre is on 80% for the first week and the 6095 about 60%.

The gyre is turned to 90% for the next two weeks and the 6095 up to 80%.

Gyre turned to100% for the last three weeks and the 6095 to 100%.

The gyre alone would need changing every 4 weeks or so as they do drop flow for me over a month or so by about the 80% being fine to requiring the pump to be at 100% for the last half of the time to make up for the drop in flow due to algae slime on the rotors.

They do have very little draw to the pump flow, the water being actively drawn into the underneath when the pump is blowing out water. The video below shows you how minimal it is. The pump is just out of view top right on the weir wall, less that a foot away and about 3" above the tables height.
It is barely enough water being pulled slowly backwards across the top of the acro - i don't think the draw into the pump is useful water movement for SPS keepers. I am not talking about the water draw across the bottom which is huge from the gyre effect, just the actual sucking in water movement.

Hope that all makes sense.

Unread 11/09/2018, 10:11 AM   #16
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
I have 4 gyres in my 250g 5 foot long tank.
2 x 150 on a wave maker so they alternate every minute. They are mounted on either end of the tank and blow at each other but alternate for full tank turn over each minute.
Behind these two are 2 x 230 on a maxspect controller. They are on random and also face each other.
This gives me great movement as well as lots of random flow.
Not crazy about the whining sound but it subsided significantly as the pumps work in over the first several months.

I love them for how much water they can move.
Thats what i was looking towards to make them do what I wanted them too. I actually think two of them along the back of my new setup running on 20-40% pulse with the 4 tunzes on the sides would be spectacular, random flow. But its hard to access stuff back there so I dont want to put anything with that high of maintenance frequency requirements.