Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/24/2018, 08:12 PM   #1
radiata
Registered Member

Tunze DOC Skimmer 9410 DC Question

Ola Roger! (Spent a week in Portugal in July - can you tell?)

I recently acquired a Tunze DOC Skimmer 9410 DC. Without impairing the great engineering of this skimmer, is there any way I can easily connect it to the air outside my home to reduce the CO2 level in the air going into the skimmer, and thus improve my pH?

TIA,
Bob

Current Tank Info: Multiple - 600+ Net Gallons
radiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2018, 08:16 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The best way is to get an outdoor rated air pump, the old brown Luft pump being the best in my opinion or an old Wisa, but the crappy purple Luft pump they make now works OK, I am skeptical they will be long lived but I used one before I stumbled on an old Wisa. If you get a Wisa, I managed to buy all the remaining parts to rebuild them, they come up on eBay but most of them were used in industrial equipment and have a weird plug to fit into whatever machine they were used in. The brown Luft pumps are pretty readily available on eBay, they were made in Germany and while not silent, almost bulletproof. Just place the pump outside under the eaves or in the attic over a soffit vent and run the line to the skimmer.

Another way is to bypass the antioverfoaming system and run the silencer line directly outside. This way is flawed for two reasons, you lose the antioverfoaming and the resistance of the airline affects the air volume taken in.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2018, 08:25 PM   #3
radiata
Registered Member

Roger,

In your Wisa scenario, does the airline go directly to the silencer from the pump?

Thanks again,
Bob

Current Tank Info: Multiple - 600+ Net Gallons
radiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2018, 07:27 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

No, it would pump to the ozone nipple under the cup. This allows the air adjustments and antioverfoaming to all work as intended and any surplus air is vented, any shortage is drawn in from the room. If you find or have a Wisa, I have most parts for a 200 or 300 and quite a few of them and I don't want much for them as I just bought out everything the old distributor had as a lot and it is way more than I would ever need, as long as the motor is good I can fix it or get you on the right path. When pricing them they are usually around $100 used if they work and have a US plug, but back when they were available these were a $600+ pump and they now are strictly an industrial pump producer. I have been very happy with mine, best pump I ever have had primarily because the pressure is so high that my 300 still has 300 l/hr after 20ft of hose.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote