Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2018, 06:15 PM   #1
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Finnex Electronic Controller Aquarium Titanium Tube with Heater Guard

Does anyone know much about Finnex Electronic Controller Aquarium Titanium Tube with Heater Guard - heaters?

mwilliams62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 09:50 PM   #2
jcsquared
Registered Member

I just got a 800W 3 weeks ago and has since been working well nice controller and have as backup to apex

jcsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 05:34 AM   #3
eder10986
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliams62 View Post
Does anyone know much about Finnex Electronic Controller Aquarium Titanium Tube with Heater Guard - heaters?

Have a 300 and 500 on our system working off of apex. Keeps temps incredibly stable

eder10986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 07:51 AM   #4
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Thank you.

Unread 02/25/2018, 04:11 PM   #5
zachogden
Registered Member

have two of them on my 60. just make sure to have them on a controller. the displays on mine read 4-6 degrees higher than the actual tank temp.

zachogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 05:15 PM   #6
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachogden View Post
have two of them on my 60. just make sure to have them on a controller. the displays on mine read 4-6 degrees higher than the actual tank temp.
I thought it comes with a controller??? Which one do you have yours hooked up to?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Unread 02/26/2018, 12:54 AM   #7
zachogden
Registered Member

it has a controller (digital thermostat with a touch screen to set temp) but the digital display was showing 76 degrees when in reality the water was 72 degrees. Don't get me wrong, it was rock steady at 72, but I definitely learned the lesson of what happens to fish and coral when kept at 72 for 6 months. I have a reefkeeper with a calibrated probe that they're plugged into now.

edit:

I should add that the display error wasn't linear. At 76 (displayed) it was a 4 degree difference. To get the tank to 76 (actual water temp), the displays read anywhere from 83-85 when the reefkeeper kicks them on. It's weird and apparently a common problem. I opted to go with the controller instead of buying new heaters because they're very well constructed and otherwise work great.

Unread 02/26/2018, 06:13 AM   #8
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Quote:
it has a controller (digital thermostat with a touch screen to set temp) but the digital display was showing 76 degrees when in reality the water was 72 degrees. Don't get me wrong, it was rock steady at 72, but I definitely learned the lesson of what happens to fish and coral when kept at 72 for 6 months. I have a reefkeeper with a calibrated probe that they're plugged into now.

edit:

I should add that the display error wasn't linear. At 76 (displayed) it was a 4 degree difference. To get the tank to 76 (actual water temp), the displays read anywhere from 83-85 when the reefkeeper kicks them on. It's weird and apparently a common problem. I opted to go with the controller instead of buying new heaters because they're very well constructed and otherwise work great.
Thank you. Glad to know a reef keeper can help. Which one do you have? I have the basic one.

Unread 02/26/2018, 07:30 AM   #9
zachogden
Registered Member

I have a reefkeeper lite, which i think just the basic RK + an extra power bar and the pH probe and module. calibrate your temp probe and follow the manual for controlling the heaters and you'll be golden. you'll just have to set the heaters themselves higher than the tank temp by a couple degrees so they actually run when the RK flips them on. the RK will then flick them off when it reads the temp is good and the finnexes then provide a couple degree buffer to shut themselves off if for some crazy reason the RK locks them on. redundancy is nice.

Unread 02/26/2018, 08:07 AM   #10
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a reefkeeper lite, which i think just the basic RK + an extra power bar and the pH probe and module. calibrate your temp probe and follow the manual for controlling the heaters and you'll be golden. you'll just have to set the heaters themselves higher than the tank temp by a couple degrees so they actually run when the RK flips them on. the RK will then flick them off when it reads the temp is good and the finnexes then provide a couple degree buffer to shut themselves off if for some crazy reason the RK locks them on. redundancy is nice.
Awesome thanks.

Unread 02/26/2018, 11:19 AM   #11
Steveb
Registered Member

Quote:
yep I do the exact same thing with my Apex - set at 78°F. I use the analog finnex heaters set between 78°-80°F.

My Tanks
50x30 ABS Tub & a 48x24 frag tank at the moment
Steve's Reef 265 Build In Progress
Steveb is offline   Reply With Quote