Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/19/2016, 12:57 PM   #1
Mangodude
The Clown Tang Keeper!

Post Help with my Reef-keeping Senior Thesis

Reefers, I am conducting an undergraduate research thesis on the relation between reefers and marine scientists. If you keep corals, please consider answering this five question survey. I don't have a tank of my own anymore, so I need a bit of help from the community. Below is a further description, or you can just find the questions at the bottom of the post. If you’re interested in helping further, I am in need of your sps growth rates.

The purpose of this study is to research potential for collaboration between marine aquarium hobbyists and marine scientists, and ways hobbyists might be consulted to aid in coral reef conservation. The information provided will be analyzed and used in my senior research project at New College of Florida (in Sarasota). If you would like to read the completed study, please let me know and i’ll be happy to send it to you when I finish. No identity information will be recorded. If you have questions, please let me know and I will do my best to answer them. If you send or post answers to the questionnaire, it will be considered consent for your answers to be used in my study unless said otherwise.

You may post responses here, send them to me in a message, email them (msg. Me for address), etc. I’m not picky.

Responses may be in yes/no format. Further elaboration is not needed but if you feel it will be beneficial you’re more than welcome to. Copy/paste or just type answers and I’ll sort it out.

If you don’t want to answer all of them, it’s fine. Any information is useful.

1. Have you ever shared data from your aquarium system with marine scientists before?
2. Would you be willing to share data from your aquarium system with marine scientists in the future?
3. Do you consider your aquarium system to be stable and healthy?
4. Do you think your corals are healthy and growing?
5. Do you already or would you be willing to implement a scientific approach to managing your aquarium system? May include: taking accurate measurements, recording results, using consistent intervals (between feedings, water changes, etc.), using automated equipment to supplement your abilities
6. (Optional) If you have any further comments or suggestions, please list them here:

Thanks everyone!!

Current Tank Info: Too many
Mangodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2016, 09:38 AM   #2
Timfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangodude View Post
1. Have you ever shared data from your aquarium system with marine scientists before? Yes. Some of the photographs have been interesting. Some of the data has been generally somewhat helpfull but my lack of consistancy limits it's usefulness
2. Would you be willing to share data from your aquarium system with marine scientists in the future? Yes
3. Do you consider your aquarium system to be stable and healthy? Yes.
4. Do you think your corals are healthy and growing? Yes.
5. Do you already or would you be willing to implement a scientific approach to managing your aquarium system? May include: taking accurate measurements, recording results, using consistent intervals (between feedings, water changes, etc.), using automated equipment to supplement your abilitiesYes. To some extant I'm already doing this with weekly pictures, parameter and dataloggers.
6. (Optional) If you have any further comments or suggestions, please list them here:

Thanks everyone!!
You're welcome!

Here's a short video of a Green Slimmer colony's growth over 4 years time. Tank is 30" tall to help give a perspective of how fast it's growing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyM6Y39iQ8M

And here's a picture showing a Surf and Turf acro's growing over three months time:

Unread 12/21/2016, 12:02 PM   #3
Mangodude
The Clown Tang Keeper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfish View Post
You're welcome!

Here's a short video of a Green Slimmer colony's growth over 4 years time. Tank is 30" tall to help give a perspective of how fast it's growing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyM6Y39iQ8M

And here's a picture showing a Surf and Turf acro's growing over three months time:
Thank you so much! This is exactly what i'm looking for

Current Tank Info: Too many
Mangodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2016, 01:57 PM   #4
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Help with my Reef-keeping Senior Thesis

I answered your questions on the TBRC thread but thought I would include a growth progress pic of my Tri Color Valida Acro
July 2016
August 2016
September 2016
October 2016 (tank lights off)

November 2016

I don't have this months picture yet. All pictures were taken on last day of each month.

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735
JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2016, 04:37 PM   #5
Landshark61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangodude View Post
Reefers, I am conducting an undergraduate research thesis on the relation between reefers and marine scientists. If you keep corals, please consider answering this five question survey. I don't have a tank of my own anymore, so I need a bit of help from the community. Below is a further description, or you can just find the questions at the bottom of the post. If you’re interested in helping further, I am in need of your sps growth rates.

The purpose of this study is to research potential for collaboration between marine aquarium hobbyists and marine scientists, and ways hobbyists might be consulted to aid in coral reef conservation. The information provided will be analyzed and used in my senior research project at New College of Florida (in Sarasota). If you would like to read the completed study, please let me know and i’ll be happy to send it to you when I finish. No identity information will be recorded. If you have questions, please let me know and I will do my best to answer them. If you send or post answers to the questionnaire, it will be considered consent for your answers to be used in my study unless said otherwise.

You may post responses here, send them to me in a message, email them (msg. Me for address), etc. I’m not picky.

Responses may be in yes/no format. Further elaboration is not needed but if you feel it will be beneficial you’re more than welcome to. Copy/paste or just type answers and I’ll sort it out.

If you don’t want to answer all of them, it’s fine. Any information is useful.

1. Have you ever shared data from your aquarium system with marine scientists before? I have not
2. Would you be willing to share data from your aquarium system with marine scientists in the future?Yes
3. Do you consider your aquarium system to be stable and healthy? Yes. Has been up and running since 2010
4. Do you think your corals are healthy and growing? For the most part yes. Like most people, I think if you try enough things in your system, you find some that just don't do well with what parameters you have.
5. Do you already or would you be willing to implement a scientific approach to managing your aquarium system? May include: taking accurate measurements, recording results, using consistent intervals (between feedings, water changes, etc.), using automated equipment to supplement your abilities. No. I am not a scientist. That is not my job and I have other things going on in my life to spend this much time. I know my own system and can tell when things go wrong. I do dose some things and pretty much have established what those doses look like to keep my tank healthy. I would be glad to share what that routine looks like.

Thanks everyone!!

Landshark61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2017, 02:57 PM   #6
Assasi
Registered Member

1. Have you ever shared data from your aquarium system with marine scientists before? No
2. Would you be willing to share data from your aquarium system with marine scientists in the future? Yes
3. Do you consider your aquarium system to be stable and healthy? Yes
4. Do you think your corals are healthy and growing? Yes
5. Do you already or would you be willing to implement a scientific approach to managing your aquarium system? May include: taking accurate measurements, recording results, using consistent intervals (between feedings, water changes, etc.), using automated equipment to supplement your abilities No
6. (Optional) If you have any further comments or suggestions, please list them here: No

Assasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2017, 07:06 AM   #7
VGT
Registered Member

1. Have you ever shared data from your aquarium system with marine scientists before?
No
2. Would you be willing to share data from your aquarium system with marine scientists in the future?
Yes
3. Do you consider your aquarium system to be stable and healthy?
Yes
4. Do you think your corals are healthy and growing?
Yes
5. Do you already or would you be willing to implement a scientific approach to managing your aquarium system? May include: taking accurate measurements, recording results, using consistent intervals (between feedings, water changes, etc.), using automated equipment to supplement your abilities
Yes

VGT is offline   Reply With Quote