Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/23/2014, 07:33 PM   #1
MickyJ
Registered Member

Question Identifying Anemone and its Ocellaris compatibility.

Hi all! Recently purchased an Ocellaris and an Anemone at my LFS. When one of the gentleman who was working at the shop went to remove the Anemone from the tank it retracted and stayed stuck to the bottom of the tank where it had dug in and attached itself. The gentleman who was helping couldn't seem to remove it so he contacted his manager who had more experience to take care of it. The manager removed it no problem but was having trouble discerning the species. I'm new to anemones but I believe it may have been a Caribbean Flower Anemone, the manager couldn't seem to get a good view of it because it had retracted but believed it to be an LTA. In the end they just charged me for a Caribbean, which was the less expensive of the two. Out of personal curiosity and also concern for my Clown's safety it would be much appreciated if anyone could identify this beaut for me. I quite enjoy both the Clown, which is super friendly and sociable, and this lovely Anemone but in the end safety comes first. Having an Anemone that would host my Clown would be nice, but I would settle for just knowing the two wont hurt each other. Thanks in advance! (Pic Below in Link Below)

Anemone- http://imgur.com/SHRd5r9

MickyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2014, 04:56 AM   #2
pyithar
Registered Member

the anemone could be a LTA imo. caribbean flower anemones usually have different oral disc colors. it's a bit shady in the photo to see the disc color well. anyhow, the clown and the anemone won't be hurting each other.

Current Tank Info: 150G display, 50G sump, mixed reef
pyithar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2014, 05:07 AM   #3
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

This thread has been moved to the current forum.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2014, 08:57 AM   #4
Rippinfrags
Registered Member

Definitely not an LTA. I believe you purchased a carribean rock anemone.

Rippinfrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2014, 06:50 PM   #5
MickyJ
Registered Member

I was pretty sure it was a Caribbean Flower Anemone, but for some reason the manager at the store believed otherwise. Its somewhat disheartening to know that it wont host my Clown, but as long as the two wont pose a threat to each other I am happy!

Unread 06/27/2014, 07:45 PM   #6
MickyJ
Registered Member

To follow up on this thread, the Anemone actually passed away after looking sickly and being removed to a Quarantine tank. I have some Frogspawn coming in a few days, and will be doing some research on the best Anemone for my tank and for my clown.

Unread 06/28/2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

How old is your tank? Anemones are better left until the tank is well established. Minimum 6 months, ideally a year. Your clown may take to the frogspawn.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, clown fish, ocellaris, reef advice, saltwater