Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/08/2019, 07:03 AM   #1951
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Hey Mark, it seems like it took a bit for alk to climb all
The way up there.. probably what mitigated the damage.. things don’t look too bad.. maybe colored down a bit but... not terrible!
The owner of the reef is alway the most critical.
I’ve been meaning to ask you, was the fenbendozole 100% effective in the end?
I keep hearing that eventually, the stuff trying to be eradicated comes back..
How about your case?
So far 100%, but the dose in here, while very small, was still big compared to what can be done in a reef with softies. I've been trying to eliminate Xenia in my 40 gallon and I can't. As soon as I get a dose high enough to harm the xenia it also harms my big green leather so I put carbon in to wick it back out.

The result in the 40 has been nothing short of horrific as each slight kill produced so many nutrients that the tank is overrun with algae and I need to do a radical intervention to get it back under control.

As far as things coming back in here, I have this weird smelly tan gunk collecting just at the water line that, for all I know, is Xenia waiting to jump back in. lol, it would not surprise me ... but I have enough fenz to continue dosing for a century, so I dare it to try and make a comeback!

Unread 07/08/2019, 07:11 AM   #1952
reefmutt
Registered Member

Wow! The 40 sounds grim!
I have a 150 with mostly hard corals and a few expendable softies. I might give the fendobibble a shot to kill some brown colonial polyps that have completely taken over..
Remind me again the dose you used in your big tank?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2019, 10:22 AM   #1953
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Wow! The 40 sounds grim!
I have a 150 with mostly hard corals and a few expendable softies. I might give the fendobibble a shot to kill some brown colonial polyps that have completely taken over..
Remind me again the dose you used in your big tank?
I bought the goat dewormer from amazon which, according the the bottle, is a 10x diluted solution. I used 2 drops, nothing happened in a week, so I added 8 more. The Xenia shrank after 2 days and the daisy polyps after 5. If I had to do it again I would do 4 drops and wait a week to see if anything happens.

I do everything via drops, so I can't say what the ml dosage was.

I read a lot of stuff talking about how once added to a tank Xenia would never thrive again. Well, my 40 shows otherwise. A big bag of carbon was able to remove it from the water quickly and the Xenia in there is now expanding and pulsing and spreading again.

Unread 07/09/2019, 07:55 AM   #1954
markalot

Nitrate 10

Phosphorus 62 = .19

Ok, NOPOX dosing begins until nitrate is below 5, then I'll continue with PhosphateRx. Nice and slow.

Xenia certainly is a nutrient sponge.

Unread 07/10/2019, 10:32 AM   #1955
markalot

I took and uploaded the FTS and more photos, then forgot to post anywhere.

Valida has hit the back wall. What a monster.

The Maybe Cali Tort that I did not get a top down of. Rugged acro, very fast grower.

The OP frag now on the rocks where all the algae eaters can get to it. I glued it and then had to wave everyone off while the glue hardened. The Foxface is the most comical, he will not be waved off but will hover patiently until I remove the tongs.

Unread 07/12/2019, 09:42 PM   #1956
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Looks amazing Mark!

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote