Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/28/2018, 06:52 PM   #1
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

Upgrade?

So should I upgrade from a 180 to a 225? Currently I am 72x24x24
I am looking for more depth to go to a 72x30x24 or maybe 25" high if I can get it customized as such. I have a coast to coast overflow and am looking to do the same. I can use my same hood because currently it covers the 6" deep coast to coast but it does not need to.

I can use all the same hardware too....lights skimmer, UV sterilizer etc. I may add two return pumps instead of the one.

Thoughts?

180 Gallon reef tank with coast to coast Herbie overflow. 60 Gallon sump with 9" filter sock. 36" lifereef skimmer, activated carbon filter. Emperor Aquatics 40W UV Sterilizer

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon reed tank, coast to coast overflow, herbie overflow. Life reef sump and 36" life reef skimmer, GHL Doser 2, Neptune Apex reef controller, Auto topoff, Spectrapure RO system with a Tunze RO controller. activated carbon and no more GFO.
Scubajoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2018, 07:23 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Your choice...enjoy..

Unread 09/29/2018, 05:05 PM   #3
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

Is it a huge undertaking to go up in size when doing the actual change over?

180 Gallon reef tank with coast to coast Herbie overflow. 60 Gallon sump with 9" filter sock. 36" lifereef skimmer, activated carbon filter. Emperor Aquatics 40W UV Sterilizer

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon reed tank, coast to coast overflow, herbie overflow. Life reef sump and 36" life reef skimmer, GHL Doser 2, Neptune Apex reef controller, Auto topoff, Spectrapure RO system with a Tunze RO controller. activated carbon and no more GFO.
Unread 09/29/2018, 06:52 PM   #4
saveafish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubajoe1 View Post
Not on that. Foot print is the same and close to same water vol. The hard part is getting every thing out of one tank to the other. More hard on your back from bending and stretching than anything. Biggest saver in your side is same foot print and same equment. Time time time. Plan to spend the day whole 16hr day.
To add 45g I dont think its worth the stress to the livestock. Going to a 300-400+ be different.

Current Tank Info: 400g display build, 300g sump, 75g ATO, 75g refug and a few more. Close to a 1000g. 200g mixing station.
saveafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2018, 09:46 PM   #5
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah especially if you're going to keep it in the same spot. You have to drain and remove everything from one tank and store it somewhere until you move the old tank out and setup the new tank. Re plumb everything then add back water and livestock.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2018, 06:29 PM   #6
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

180 to a 240 so that's a 33% increase. I found out I can pay the LFR and they would have three people and all the equipment to change it out for me. Also gives me a chance to make some mods that I always wanted to do. Still deciding.

Unread 09/30/2018, 07:17 PM   #7
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Bigger is better

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2018, 07:28 PM   #8
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Quote:
180 to a 240 so that's a 33% increase. I found out I can pay the LFR and they would have three people and all the equipment to change it out for me. Also gives me a chance to make some mods that I always wanted to do. Still deciding.
Well in that case do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reboot, sps, upgrade