Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/16/2019, 07:39 PM   #1
mikale44
Registered Member

Skimmer for new 180 Gallon Tank

Hi I recently set up a new 180 gallon tank. Mostly lps corals and the following fish: purple tang, gem tang, yellow tang, yellow belly blue tang, harem of 5 clownfish, royal gramma, magnificent foxface, mystery wrasse, flame angel and midas blenny.
I currently have a Nyos Quantum 160 but I’m not satisfied with the performance. So I narrowed it to the Reef Octopus Elite 220 or the Bubble King Double Cone 200. I got a sweet deal at my lfs for the ro elite for l 1/3 of the price of the Bubble King but I’m not sure to take it. I can’t hardly find any reviews about it. On the other hand Bubble King is a staple in our hobby and you can hardly go wrong.
I don’t want buyers remorse if I choose the reef octopus and don’t perform as expected.

What are your thoughts about it.

mikale44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2019, 08:52 AM   #2
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

both are great skimmers. I do like the Elite as it is a great build at a better value. Support can be offered by both manufactures after the sale as well. It really just depends on how much you want to spend for your foaming device.

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2019, 09:51 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

^^ and so is the Nyos Quantum 160...
There might be a valid reason that your performance isn't what you were expecting and that reason may apply to a new skimmer too..

Unread 09/18/2019, 08:52 PM   #4
aaronpentz
Registered Member

You should look at life reef skimmers

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 67 Long
aaronpentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2019, 11:18 AM   #5
mikale44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishntoboutside View Post
both are great skimmers. I do like the Elite as it is a great build at a better value. Support can be offered by both manufactures after the sale as well. It really just depends on how much you want to spend for your foaming device.
Thanks for your advice. Do you have the reef octopus elite? Are you satisfied with it? What model do you have?

Unread 09/19/2019, 11:20 AM   #6
mikale44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpentz View Post
You should look at life reef skimmers

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thank you. I’ve already have look at Lifereef!

Unread 09/19/2019, 02:31 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpentz View Post
you should look at life reef skimmers

https://r.tapatalk.com/sharelink/top...ink_source=app

sent from my sm-g955u using tapatalk
+1

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2019, 09:57 AM   #8
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikale44 View Post
Thanks for your advice. Do you have the reef octopus elite? Are you satisfied with it? What model do you have?
Hello Mike.
Do to my tank size I went with the regal 300. as they do not make the elite large enough for my system. The elite is made with PVC instead of acrylic and I think the body is a little different as well. They do use the same pump. I am more than happy with it performance so far of the regal. its a great skimmer and can be adjusted at 20% settings. Best of all is the offering of neck extensions to tune the skimmer exactly how one likes it. I am honestly surprised more companies do not offer neck extensions.

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2019, 01:08 PM   #9
heritage
Registered Member

Aquamaxx Q3 set it and forget it.
Running perfect on my 180.

heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2019, 03:19 AM   #10
Big E
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage View Post
Aquamaxx Q3 set it and forget it.
Running perfect on my 180.
I agree, no reason to spend extra $ when you can buy an Aquamaxx for almost half the price of the Reef Octopus elite 220 and get the same performance.

You don't need a variable speed pump for a skimmer if it's designed correctly with the right pump.

If you like the hour glass design go with the Amaxx Cone S3.

If comparing price point I'd buy the Amaxx Q5 10 out of 10 times over the Reef Octopus.

I'm not even going to mention or compare the Bubble King other than to say it's overpriced and isn't going to give you anything more in performance than the others.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2019, 04:16 PM   #11
heritage
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
I agree, no reason to spend extra $ when you can buy an Aquamaxx for almost half the price of the Reef Octopus elite 220 and get the same performance.

You don't need a variable speed pump for a skimmer if it's designed correctly with the right pump.

If you like the hour glass design go with the Amaxx Cone S3.

If comparing price point I'd buy the Amaxx Q5 10 out of 10 times over the Reef Octopus.

I'm not even going to mention or compare the Bubble King other than to say it's overpriced and isn't going to give you anything more in performance than the others.
Ed, that's exactly what I was thinking. I've done the controllable pump and in the end, you end up running the pump on high. Its a gimmick, and with a properly sized skimmer your good to go. Hands down the Aquamaxx will hold its own against any skimmer.

heritage is offline   Reply With Quote