Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/30/2017, 07:22 PM   #726
karimwassef
Registered Member

Welcome.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 04:22 AM   #727
Subsea
Registered Member

Unless you are selling to a commercial market with strict guild lines, you are creating unnecessary work.

To sell to the hobbiest market you should consider what is best for him. IMO, fixed numbers that quantify are not important. What is important to a reef tank is a living biofilter that cleans and feeds the tank. I think of pods as the “little people” that do the visible work, but “bugs rule” as “microbial overlords”.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 07:21 AM   #728
karimwassef
Registered Member

I'm looking for differentiation vs every other pod guy claiming 1000 pods. No point setting up a business to be mediocre. I like to win

When I think of what frustrated me when buying pods, the number one pain was not knowing what I was really getting. Quality, quantity, etc... all bogus. I'd pay more for a known value than go on faith.

We can even compare the 1000 pods claimed by others to grams by weighing them. If we offer more value, more will buy.

But this is all aside for now

My concern today is making the HOA connections to get clarity on the rules and constraints. I have the rule book but it just says "HOA needs to approve"... helpful ...

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 10/31/2017, 08:24 AM   #729
Subsea
Registered Member

I have a somewhat adversarial position to HOA as a regulatory agency over my actions on my property. In Texas, the village is the smallest unit of government, not HOA. Only because of community organizers have HOA taken on power that they were not granted by Texas constitution.

HOA can not enforce their vague rules. Instead, they insert their influence during real estate transaction by raising red flags to mortgage brokers.

Being somewhat familiar with the Code of Federal Regulations, I would play lawyer with MMS, formally the USGS. For offshore drilling rules, the United States Geologic Service became the Mineral Management Service. When I would install instrumentation systems on remote platforms, I would review schematics and safety inspections with MMS on a regular basis. On one such occasion, after looking at paperwork an inspector challenged the positioning of a certain safety shut off device and wanted to see it work in the field. After a 15 minute boat ride to platform, I simulated high pressure shut in. After venting off test pump pressure, some few drops of hydraulic oil spilled from pump vent cap. Because of the extremely flat seas a slight sheen was evident. Inspector shut platform which cascaded into shutting a complete field of platforms down. Lost production while bringing wells back on line was $1M.

While he stood by his authority to operate our safety equipment, he was fired at the end of the day. In their wisdom, Odeco hired the USGS commandant as Superintendent of their Marine Department. Not withstanding the politics, the MMS inspector was wrong and I read to him his bible “Code of Federal Regulations”, where he was wrong.

I suggest you find out who board members are. Go to next board meeting and broach the subject. I have a very weak HOA. in its rules, it says that all added structures must be approved by HOA. When they start subsidizing me, I will seek their approval.

Unread 10/31/2017, 08:43 AM   #730
karimwassef
Registered Member

LOL!!! Love it! I agree- those with outstanding authority and no penalty for poor judgement are a real danger to the freedoms of others.

Unfortunately, the rights granted to the HOA are absurd but they're part of my mortgage (that I still need) requirements.

I'm reaching out today (hopefully) to get closer.

Unread 10/31/2017, 08:53 AM   #731
alanbetiger
Registered Member

In my subdivision down the road the HOA hasn't done anything so far. Everyone has had free rein and had approval afterwards with most peoples front yards and backyard structures against the "rules".
I know people in Artesia (not sure where in Prosper you are building) that feel the same way about their HOA

alanbetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 12:11 PM   #732
Subsea
Registered Member

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than approval.

Unread 10/31/2017, 01:31 PM   #733
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsea View Post
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than approval.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Pandagobyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 09:44 AM   #734
Subsea
Registered Member

I'm looking for differentiation vs every other pod guy claiming 1000 pods. No point setting up a business to be mediocre. I like to win

When I think of what frustrated me when buying pods, the number one pain was not knowing what I was really getting. Quality, quantity, etc... all bogus. I'd pay more for a known value than go on faith.

We can even compare the 1000 pods claimed by others to grams by weighing them. If we offer more value, more will buy.

Karim,
While I hear a lofty business model, I do not think that it is pragmatic considering the fragile nature of product. You should consider your market first. In some cases you develope a market with social media. In the case of live pods as food for reef tanks, you could raise a co-culture of mollies as food for marine predators.

Marketing is my weak point. Operations is my strong point.

I went 10yrs without paying HOA dues. When I refinanced house, I paid back dues.

Unread 11/01/2017, 11:07 AM   #735
karimwassef
Registered Member

I think it depends on the HOA's teeth and willingness to bite.

I really don't think I'll be running into the pod business anytime soon but if I did, they would be the best pods and well worth every incremental dollar.

What I'd really love to cultivate are glass shrimp! Those are excellent.

Unread 11/03/2017, 12:36 PM   #736
Subsea
Registered Member

Tell me about “glass shrimp”.

When I lived closer to Gulf Coast, we would net grass shrimp in fresh and salt water estuaries. They were clear about a 1/3 size of peppermint shrimp. There was a different shrimp about twice the size of grass shrimp caught in salt water canals where tree branches hung in water. Best I remember, these shrimp were dehydrated and sold in small bag as a dry protein snack.

Unread 11/03/2017, 01:36 PM   #737
karimwassef
Registered Member

When I started my current tank ~ 4 years ago, I found a source for pods and glass shrimp called reefs2go. They were decent for this but their reputation for other things drove them to change their name. But the shrimp were excellent. I got a couple of hundred and put them in my fuge.

With my heavy feeding, they were constantly pregnant and babies were erupting all the time. This was the period of fastest coral growth I had ever experienced.

They eventually dwindled since I really didn't have a nursery to get them to maturity. The origin nap population lasted two years or so.

I've since looked for other sources and found one for predator feeding. They were half the size and didn't reproduce well in the tank.

I finally found a real source from the Long Island Reef Aquarium. It's a partnership with a an aquaculture business up there but they collect thousands from the wild. They'll only sell in bulk though and with my current tank in transition, I decided to defer.

They're marine shrimp about the size of peppermint but clear/glassy. They live in marine grasses and can be very fruitful.

With this new tank, the idea is to stock all the non-DT bodies with these shrimp and establish natural nursery solutions (green water) to get them to self cycle. I was visualizing my large solar scrubber as the fields and these glass shrimp as the sheep in the fields.

I'll look for some old pictures. When I first found them, they didn't look like anything special... just feeder shrimp.

Unread 11/03/2017, 01:41 PM   #738
karimwassef
Registered Member

Babies
 photo FA4F26A5-132D-4EF2-A7B2-ACCFC5D85BE7.png_zpsbkg8idai.jpeg

Unread 11/03/2017, 01:43 PM   #739
karimwassef
Registered Member

The first fields
 photo 12C10112-45BB-4135-B1C4-94F73DD2A274_zpsvxsxzfrd.jpg

photo 87D77C7F-68AB-4227-8760-E07B97E2DD45_zpsfpukqqrz.jpg

photo 571EF0EB-D913-497E-8762-A3B6D912AEFB_zpsnd4ab0p1.jpg

photo A4D67D43-B2B5-4264-B26E-82CAD9727847_zpsgjpwq0w7.jpg

Unread 11/03/2017, 01:53 PM   #740
karimwassef
Registered Member

Last edited by karimwassef; 11/03/2017 at 02:47 PM.
Unread 11/03/2017, 02:04 PM   #741
karimwassef
Registered Member

These ghost shrimp look like it

https://www.livebrineshrimp.com/ShrimpJanitor.htm

Unread 11/03/2017, 02:15 PM   #742
Subsea
Registered Member

That my friend is a winner. These should handle cold days outdoors and should be compatiable with pods.

Unread 11/03/2017, 02:53 PM   #743
karimwassef
Registered Member

True. They collect them in the marshes on the northern coast but they thrive in warmer waters too.

Unread 11/23/2017, 06:01 PM   #744
karimwassef
Registered Member

Pretty disappointed with sunlight in November in TX...

photo 73FC28A7-3DAA-4593-A6A6-B51FE1FA3FE8_zpsku9nqgje.jpg

My MH was running 1500-2000 PAR for 19 hours.

Unread 11/23/2017, 10:14 PM   #745
jccaclimber
Registered Member

More PAR than most people's tanks and it isn't enough...

jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 09:06 AM   #746
karimwassef
Registered Member

Old tank was running 1900 PAR x 19 hrs = 36.1 KPARhrs
This solar experiment is 800 PAR x 6 hrs = 4.8 KPARhrs
That's 7.5x less. They might survive but they'll probably recede, not grow... at least in the winter.

Unread 12/06/2017, 12:22 PM   #747
karimwassef
Registered Member

Good news everyone! (A la Futurama's Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth):

The architectural committee approved the sunroom!

Unread 12/08/2017, 04:08 PM   #748
alanbetiger
Registered Member

Awesome, congratulations!

Unread 04/13/2018, 11:30 AM   #749
KCVG
Registered Member

Hey Karim, any updates? Always love reading your threads.

KCVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2018, 04:45 PM   #750
alanbetiger
Registered Member

Have you moved yet?