Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/08/2020, 05:10 PM   #251
halmus
Registered Member

Sorry so slow in responding here. Life’s been crazy. Spent some time looking for commercial spaces in Denver with no luck. Also spent some time looking at homes with large enough shop space for my business. Unfortunately, real estate has exploded even more in the region. I’m willing to move into the middle of nowhere but the wife isn’t.

So, good news is that I don’t have to tear down the tank! That would be an insane waste after all I’ve put into it.

Bad news is I’m still trying to build huge cabinets in a shoebox.

Good news is that I finally invested in a CNC.

Bad news is that it only has a 2’ x 4’ bed for now and as small as it is, it takes up more workspace in my shoebox.

Good news is that it’s an Avid CNC which is easy to scale up in size when I have space. Ordered it with long cabling and oversized steppers to handle the scaling and the workload I eventually want to use it for. It’s mostly assembled now but still need the VFD spindle and buy a dedicated laptop to drive it.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2020, 05:12 PM   #252
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Hey Neighbor! I love your setup. Very inspiring, even for a low-tech nature boy like me. I'd love to hear more about it, so I'll keep following. I'm especially impressed that you share all your ups and downs so freely. I think I can learn a lot from you and your experiences. Thanks for sharing!

Hey Michael. Where are located? Thanks for checking out the build.

I promise I’ll update with pictures soon. Been so long since I checked in, I’m not sure where I left off.

As a “low-tech nature guy” you’ll appreciate the direction my refugium has taken.

Unread 09/08/2020, 05:14 PM   #253
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZOFIQ View Post
Came back to revisit what is probably my all time favorite built. This is a build that rivals what public aquaria do and leaps them by a mile. Back end is simply phenomenal.

Appreciate you sharing the details, learned few tricks too; always loved your setup. Keep going.

Thanks for the compliments! I’ve come up with a few tricks on my own but owe a lot to people I’ve followed in the past. Glad we can help each other out with our successes and failures.

Unread 09/08/2020, 05:40 PM   #254
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm just up the road in Boulder. Ooh yeah, I look forward to checking out your refugium's direction!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2020, 08:39 AM   #255
halmus
Registered Member

Had to re-learn the Flickr account and posting pics. Long time since I've posted pictures. I need to clean my display glass and take some updated pics there.

For now, I re-worked the refugium with help of a friend. Removed the old substrate and put in a deep sand bed. I added all of the recommended critters to keep the deep sand bed healthy. I lowered the water level to about 12" so that I could free up some space for mangroves at the bottom and still allow them to stick out of the water. Planted about 30 mangrove pods. Most made it. I also ordered some sea-grass. That has taken a long time (3-6 months?) to really settle in and start putting out new nodes. It's finally growing in.

I clean away the junk algae once in a while but for the most part, I'm just letting things be. I think the mangroves have been rooting out for about 6 months now. I want them to get well rooted, then I can come back and start trying to keep the roots free of junk algae.

I'm not really using this tank as a refugium anymore. At least not the "textbook" definition of a fuge. It does propagate a lot of pods and snails. I actually had too much nutrient export in the system which I think was starving my SPS. Maybe? I don't know. Just systematically trying to change one thing at a time to get my SPS to color up more. So far so good.

This is going to be more of a secondary display. I want to put in pipe fish and ruby red dragonettes in the future. I think they'd look great hanging out in the mangrove forest.

IMG_4962

IMG_4959

IMG_4960

IMG_4961

Unread 09/09/2020, 09:46 AM   #256
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Nice. I see you've got some manatee grass in there. I've kept that, shoal grass and turtle grass. Manatee is my favorite. Your sand bed looks a little shallow for them, but they look to be doing very well. The shallow water will keep their growth shorter, but they should be fine. I have blades easily 3 feet long in my 30 inch tall tank.

You could throw a molly or two in there to go after that algae. Just don't feed them, and they will take care of it.

Great tank!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2020, 10:42 AM   #257
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmus View Post
Sorry so slow in responding here. Life’s been crazy. Spent some time looking for commercial spaces in Denver with no luck. Also spent some time looking at homes with large enough shop space for my business. Unfortunately, real estate has exploded even more in the region. I’m willing to move into the middle of nowhere but the wife isn’t.

So, good news is that I don’t have to tear down the tank! That would be an insane waste after all I’ve put into it.

Bad news is I’m still trying to build huge cabinets in a shoebox.

Good news is that I finally invested in a CNC.

Bad news is that it only has a 2’ x 4’ bed for now and as small as it is, it takes up more workspace in my shoebox.

Good news is that it’s an Avid CNC which is easy to scale up in size when I have space. Ordered it with long cabling and oversized steppers to handle the scaling and the workload I eventually want to use it for. It’s mostly assembled now but still need the VFD spindle and buy a dedicated laptop to drive it.
ooooh! how exciting!

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2020, 07:07 AM   #258
JMetaxas
Registered Member

Just found this thread. Remarkable build.

JMetaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2020, 05:03 PM   #259
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
ooooh! how exciting!

Thanks. Can’t wait to bring the beast online! Will be able to order the spindle after I complete the next job. Then bring it to life! Well....then learn how to use the thing.

Unread 10/06/2020, 05:11 PM   #260
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMetaxas View Post
Just found this thread. Remarkable build.

Thanks.

It’s always up and down with this tank. Over the last month I’ve lost a few colonies. As of today, the “blue” coral I’ve always struggled with in the past is looking better than ever. Others that were indestructible are looking worse.

So, must be something that I’m missing. All parameters are within reason after testing. Bulbs are replaced every 6 months.

I had to switch Ca/Rx media to ARM. Ran out of Sprung’s material and not sure when I’ll be able to get more.

I’m keeping up general maintenance on the system but otherwise taking a hands-off approach. Some coral looks great others not so much. So, I’m just letting the system determine its own direction for now.

Still owe everyone pictures. Sorry about the delay. I’ll get some up sometime. Warts and all.

Unread 10/06/2020, 06:50 PM   #261
JMetaxas
Registered Member

Have you done ICP tests? IMO, when all your standard parameters are solid but the tank just isn't quite "right", I recommend an ICP test.

Unread 10/06/2020, 06:57 PM   #262
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Have you done ICP tests? IMO, when all your standard parameters are solid but the tank just isn't quite "right", I recommend an ICP test.

That’s a good suggestion!

Unfortunately, I have some personal opposition to ICP testing. There’s ICP testing right in my back yard here in Denver.

Steve, who used to run a local aquarium shop here started the ICP testing locally. I’m not sure how many testing locations there are here in the states but he still runs that for this region as far as I know. He stole multiple hundreds of dollars from me when he shut down his storefront. So, while it’s a worthy testing procedure, I’m hesitant to give him another dollar.

Petty, but that’s where I’m at and I can admit my own pettiness.

Unread 10/06/2020, 07:00 PM   #263
JMetaxas
Registered Member

I've used Triton's ICP test before. The kit is about $49 via BRS. Takes about 2 weeks, but it's well worth it when you consider the overall investment you have in that tank.

Once my SPS dominant 200 gallon is fully up and running, I plan on doing the test at least 4x per year.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/icp-o...it-triton.html

Unread 10/06/2020, 07:03 PM   #264
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
I've used Triton's ICP test before. The kit is about $49 via BRS. Takes about 2 weeks, but it's well worth it when you consider the overall investment you have in that tank.

Once my SPS dominant 200 gallon is fully up and running, I plan on doing the test at least 4x per year.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/icp-o...it-triton.html

Thanks! I should look into that.

Unread 10/15/2020, 07:23 PM   #265
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

And I use ATI. But the sample ends up going to germany for testing which adds time to the turn around. The main reason for going ATI is that it also tests your RODI water as well as provide a prepaid shipping label which makes it that much easier to ship out.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote