Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/27/2020, 07:43 AM   #1
phishman1
Registered Member

Question about adding fish

46 bowfront. Up about a little over a month. Cycling complete in its first phase about 8 days ago. Live Rock and sand. This tank on a budget and for now fish only. 2 hang on filters, bio wheel and aqua clear, power head for water movement. So far, yellow tail damsel, emerald crab, one coral banded shrimp, two turbos, 6 hermits.

I would like to put in another fish today, my thoughts are two smaller clowns or honestly the colors in the damsels are fine with me, Chromis or couple more damsels? Since Clowns are in the Damsel family thinking of leaning that direction. Any thoughts. All parameters test exactly where they should be for a newly cycled system.

phishman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2020, 08:08 AM   #2
Timfish
Registered Member

There's several Chryseptera sp in the same group with the yellow tail that will do well along with a pair or trio of clowns. C. talboti, C. hemicyanea, C. rollandi, C. starkii and C. tracyeyi all have the same body shape and size as your yellow tail but different colors. I would not expect you to have nay serious problems with 3 or 4 damsels. In addition to the clowns one of the smaller dwarf angels would be something I would consider. I would not get any Chromis, it is rare for someone to have a group of them survive any length of time.

Unread 11/27/2020, 08:32 AM   #3
phishman1
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply

Thanks Mr Timfish, good information............enjoying this tank so far but havn't had any issues yet either, lol. Have always had tons of tanks, Angels, Cichlids, once a reeftank years ago but got bored and moved on, recently got the bug back and here I am.....trying it again.

Unread 12/05/2020, 12:00 AM   #4
Thadcastle54
Registered Member

Did you get anything? I think you’re on the right track with the clowns. Maybe a yellow tang?

20g wet/dry sump,SeaClone Skimmer,UV sterl,Aquaclr 110
Thadcastle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2020, 07:26 AM   #5
phishman1
Registered Member

I did get two smallish clowns

Both seem to be doing fine, however Damsel charges at them, but so far no nipped fins or anything like that, I'm waiting a bit before I decide what to do as far as removal goes for the Damsel.

I have also been bitten by the soft coral bug now and its an obsession, lol.

Purchased a few cheaper smaller polyps, little xenia, green star polyps and today I have an old friend bringing me a Kenya tree as well.

I also raise other fish and will be taking some to the LFS today in trade for more beginner corals as well...yup, my obsession is getting dangerous.

Unread 12/05/2020, 09:57 AM   #6
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

All of those corals "can" spread like wildfire so be careful.