Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2020, 04:02 PM   #1
D0661E750
Registered Member

Question 400gal and multiple tangs_Mission Impossible?

I'll keep this short guys. I am aware of the aggression so I would like to add the fish all at the same time, please advise if there is any other way that could make this right or a smooth as possible. Need your expertise and experience. I will use mirror technique, dark mode for a few dayz, and will feed them 4-5x a day.

Currently in DT:
  • Hippo- L (5-6")
  • Sailfin- ML(4-5")
  • Yellow- M (3"), shy and gets bullied by Hippo and Sailfin
  • 3 small damsels
  • Coral beauty- S (2")

Holding Tank - Sump (4 stages)
1st stage: no fish
2nd stage:
Desjardini- L(5")
Emperor Angel- L(5")
Powder Blue- M(4")
Yellow- M(4")

3rd stage:
  • Yellow Eye Kole M(4")
  • Powder Brown- M (3")
  • Juvenile Koran Angel- S(2-3")
  • Niger Trigger- S (1- 1.5")
  • Percula Clown- S (2")

4th stage:
  • Orange Shoulder juve- M (3")
  • Pair of Clarkii town (2" and 3")

Quarantine Tank:
  • Gem Tang- L (4"-5")
  • Sohal-L (5")
  • Achilles juvenile -(3")--mean little guy, no fear with Sohal
  • Purple Tang juvenile (2")--mean little guy, no fear with Sohal

10gal sump:
  • 4 babies percula clown (1.5")

20gal QT:
  • Blonde- M (4-5")
  • Clown M (4-5")

Strategy: Capture the tangs from DT then place them in the sump. Once all settled, I will add all the fish in the DT at the same time.

Mixed thoughts here, should I add the small tangs like the Juve Purple tang and Achilles first?

Another reefer is also selling me his 4" Purple tang so I am still on the fence if I should buy it. I believe spreading the aggression would be a key to success, seeing multiple same shape tangs will divert aggression? I could be wrong......?

Per attached video, it's not mission impossible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4OmX0i2jfg&t=5s

Unread 12/03/2020, 06:06 PM   #2
D0661E750
Registered Member

To clarify:
20gal QT has the Clown is a Clown Tang.

Unread 12/05/2020, 12:52 AM   #3
zheka757
Registered Member

good luck, i tried posting something like that years ago. (regret posting about it) i do also have 400 gallon tank. and tried to keep bunch of tangs in the tank also. per that video, i can 100% guarantee there is alot of aggression happening, (there is one powder brown chasing other powder brown tang) and i bet there is twice as much aggression at night.
Anyways. i tried having angels and tangs in my tank. took all angels out due to nabbing on corals. as far as tangs go. i really wanted to get Achilles, powder blue and powder brown in my tank. got them all medium size. things where good for 1 year. until they all got large size. powder blue bit the crap our of powder brown. sold both powder tangs. right now i got achilles, hippo, 3 yellow tang, 1 gem tang, 1 purple tang. and things still not ok as far as aggression.
i think the biggest thing that made me change, is im really more into corals now, its just as fun and challenging at keeping hard corals alive. when i started saltwater tank i was realy into fish mostly.
but anyways good luck with what you doing. hopefully you'll get it and make it work for you

zheka757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2020, 02:14 PM   #4
thirst
Registered Member

400gal and multiple tangs_Mission Impossible?

I have quite a few tangs in my

10x4x2.5

A bit bigger than a 750 but just make sure there’s good hiding areas and constant feeding

2x Achilles
3x powder blue tang
5x yellow tang
3x black tang
1x desj

A few non aggressive tangs naso, vlamingi

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIupFnHC...id=qyjk0862fk7

https://youtu.be/lpF7zmZxv5Y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2020, 10:28 PM   #5
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Plenty of Tangs

My 400g 96x33x29 has a nice tang collection - Which has shifted a bit in the last few weeks.

For the last 3.5 years the tangs in the tank have been
(9) Yellows
(3) Purples
(2) Hippos
(1) Chevron
(1) Black
(1) Gem
(1) Achilles

The Gem and the Purples were getting a lil big, so they were caught 2 weekends ago and replaced with 3 sml gems and 2 sml purples.

Then after swapping the tangs out I noticed a seam on the 400g going bad. We rushed and are moving them into a 560g 10x30x36T - for awhile while we build our 880 tank upgrade.

Here's a video from this evening of the 560g setup. Youtube has videos of some of the tangs going back 10 years. I have yellows in the tank that are 15+ years old.

---- Video of the tank from this evening - https://youtu.be/DQfLAzE6C34

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2020, 01:57 AM   #6
PatmanM3
Registered Member

My first post in a long long time. Been a lurker and just got back into the hobby.

It is not impossible and it’s a decent strategy BUT in my experience, your two Acanthurus (Sohal and Clown) seem to be on the larger side compared to the rest of your planned livestock and you have to lookout for your smaller powder brown/blue and OS. If the sohal and clown tang aren’t chasing after each other, they’ll bully the other similarly shaped smaller fish. I have had my system for approximately a year and a half with mostly tangs. LARGE tangs:

12” OS
9” Dussumieri
9” Sohal
8” longnose black tang
7.5” desjardini and Hawaiian sailfin
6” blue hippo
4” mimic
4” queen angel
Bonded maroon clownfish pair

My Sohal was the lone resident for a while because he was the only one to survive my velvet outbreak and he’s a mean thug. I introduced fish 3 at a time. And I introduced the larger orange shoulder last and due to the OS size and swiping power, kept my Sohal on check. So far 1 1/2 years later and there’s ZERO aggression. All fish are football sized fat and slow but happy.

Custom 14’ long, 5’ wide, 4’ deep.

Good luck!

PatmanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2021, 08:01 PM   #7
D0661E750
Registered Member

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Thanks for all your inputs.

Sad to say that when I introduced all my fish in the DT, Sohal turned a Pitbull. It was weird, he didn’t show aggression with his tank mates (Juvenile Achilles/ Purple, and Large Gem). In DT, he was mean specifically to baby Achilles. As mentioned, this baby has no fear so he stood his ground and was injured by Sohal.

It was too late before I could catch Baby Achilles, Sohal would attack his hiding spot, large enough to get in. I wonder why the baby won’t seek other refuge with smaller opening, lots of options in my live rock stocked tank. I am still mourning

I am planning to buy a larger 5-6” Achilles $330 and introduce him last. I ended up getting a smaller Blonde and a Clown tang so hope Sohal would respect that he’s already the King.

Unread 01/02/2021, 08:03 PM   #8
D0661E750
Registered Member

RIP

Unread 01/02/2021, 08:07 PM   #9
D0661E750
Registered Member

IMG_9128.jpg
IMG_9127.jpg