Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/19/2010, 08:50 PM   #1
WillLevantovsky
Registered Member

High Ammonia And Nitrate In Reef!?

hey guys,

i have a new 6 week old 55 gallon reef tank with a 10 gallon sump(more like wet dry with 2 gallons of bio balls), 2 small refugiums, and a coralife superskimmer 125. My nitrItes are 0, my PH is 8.2, but my Ammonia looks 0.25 and has been for 2 weeks! i can't get it down! And my nitrate is hovering at <20. all tests are using an API kit... sorry for the bad grammar but i am in a rush and really worried because i have a 1 inch hippo tang and a 2 inch yellow tang coming in tomorrow (growing them out) and i cannot stop the shipment (it was planned months ago) so you think they will be okay? my current clowns seem great and my corals are also (a colony of green eyed zoas, a torch, and 2 mushroom frags) what should i do? should i worry? or are the levels considered "okay" thanks a lot! you guys always have an answer@

Last edited by WillLevantovsky; 01/19/2010 at 09:23 PM.
WillLevantovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 09:05 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

It's possible that the ammonia kit has failed. They often show low levels of ammonia when they do that. You could try testing some RO/DI water. It's also possible that the tank is just taking a while to settle.

That level of nitrate isn't all that uncommon, and the corals might be fine with it even long-term. The fish and other animals won't care at all. I might get a second opinion on the nitrate test kit, but I wouldn't worry excessively at this point.

Unread 01/19/2010, 09:14 PM   #3
WillLevantovsky
Registered Member

Thanks! I just took a huge sigh of relieve! thanks!

Unread 01/19/2010, 09:16 PM   #4
bhammer
Addicted User

+1 on getting a second test done.

Also, I am not a fan of having those fish in that small of a tank. Your tangs need LOTS of room to run around. I have a 6' long tank and my tangs use all of it and could use another 6' to play with. I would rethink your purchase of the tangs with a tank that size. that's what got me to upgrade.

bhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 09:18 PM   #5
WillLevantovsky
Registered Member

The tangs will not be there for long... 330 gal when they both hit about 3.5"

Unread 01/19/2010, 09:26 PM   #6
bhammer
Addicted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillLevantovsky View Post
The tangs will not be there for long... 330 gal when they both hit about 3.5"
There ya go. That will be a great home for them. One of my Yellows likes to swim up against one of my returns, then he turns around and darts the full length of the tank as fast as he can. He'll play like this for a hour or so about every day. One of these times, he's going to forget to put on the brakes.

Unread 01/19/2010, 09:30 PM   #7
WillLevantovsky
Registered Member

HAHA i can imagine that... no more long nose... and yeah- this tank is mainly to warm up my family for when i bring in the big guy probably about 6 months to a year and the 55 will be a fowlr, they will love that! also, so just in case the ammonia is 0.25 will it be okay? i cant run to a store as it is 11 pm and i have school tomorrow...

Unread 01/19/2010, 10:28 PM   #8
bhammer
Addicted User

If you indeed have ammonia, I wouldn't put fish in.

I would get a second test done. Have you measured RO/DI water to see if you get the same reading? Try a water change as well.

Tags
ammonia, fish, nitrate, nitrite, reef