Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/15/2017, 07:15 PM   #1
tenurepro
Registered Member

Fix power chord outer sheath crack

hellos DIYselfers!
Can't think of a better group of people to help me DIY a fix for my skimmer power chord...

Was cleaning skimmer when I noticed that outer sheath of power cable has a crack. It's the part of the wire that comes out of the skimmer housing. I think the 90 deg bend + salt water stiffened cable resulting in a crack during dissembling. The inner wire sheaths are fine. Any ideas on best way to fix it?
I am thinking 1) crazy glue it together?
2)liquid electrical tape?
3) make a slit in shrink tubing, wrap it around outer sheath and use a heat gun to seal it.
Or a combination of 2 and 3

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2017, 08:13 PM   #2
JamesHolt
Registered Member

Buy a new pump, not worth the risk..
If the cord end in the motor is sealed in epoxy, repair might be ok.. If the inner sheathing is 100% intact and sealed to the epoxy.. If not water will creep into the motor..
If it is not sealed, congrats you now have water in your pump motor..

Current Tank Info: 29g with 2 Engineer gobies
JamesHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2017, 08:15 PM   #3
scuzy
Registered Member

They sell this Bondo with uv light that hardens this liquid might try that. But yeah it's a electric hazard.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2017, 09:26 PM   #4
bblumberg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
hellos DIYselfers!
Can't think of a better group of people to help me DIY a fix for my skimmer power chord...

Was cleaning skimmer when I noticed that outer sheath of power cable has a crack. It's the part of the wire that comes out of the skimmer housing. I think the 90 deg bend + salt water stiffened cable resulting in a crack during dissembling. The inner wire sheaths are fine. Any ideas on best way to fix it?
I am thinking 1) crazy glue it together?
2)liquid electrical tape?
3) make a slit in shrink tubing, wrap it around outer sheath and use a heat gun to seal it.
Or a combination of 2 and 3

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Maybe this https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Grip-SC1...BQFQHAC6G098EQ
or one of the many similar products?

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 150g fw discus (T5 lighting), 110G fw Angelfish (DIY LED lighting), 4 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED).
bblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2017, 09:58 PM   #5
tkeracer619
Registered Member

An underground splice heat ahrink will work. Cut the plug off, use the splice kit, install new plug.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2017, 10:59 PM   #6
Sandy Cheeks
Registered Member

Heath-shrink tubing with adhesive; you'd need a heat gun so the glue melts properly.
If you decide the fix rather than buy a new pump, make sure that particular pump is connected to a GFCI.

Sandy Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 12:00 AM   #7
laverda
Registered Member

The tape in the amazon link is pretty amazing stuff and what I would use. HD and other hardware stores carry it now.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 06:49 AM   #8
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I posted in your other post here. The silicone tape is amazing! Stretchy, very flexible and very waterproof! Lowes and HD both carry it.

Unread 02/16/2017, 10:08 AM   #9
davewit5092
Registered Member

I would try some flex seal.Iused it on the bottom of an outdoor pond and seams to be holding fine no leaks.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

davewit5092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 10:29 AM   #10
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Have you considered contacting the company and asking them what you should do and if they can offer a replacement and or a proper fix? You might be surprised. Something like this can really hurt a companies rep, they will often send a replacement just to keep people safe.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 11:50 AM   #11
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayolaViolence View Post
Have you considered contacting the company and asking them what you should do and if they can offer a replacement and or a proper fix? You might be surprised. Something like this can really hurt a companies rep, they will often send a replacement just to keep people safe.

Thanks all for the advice!

Unread 02/16/2017, 12:08 PM   #12
tenurepro
Registered Member

Fix power chord outer sheath crack

Ps... I agree that getting a replacement pump is the best scenario... but that is $600+... the pump in question is a red dragon pump for the mini bubble king 160 .... yes... they can make a killer pump but the way the cable exits the skimmer is a design flow in my opinion. You have to force the cable into a 90 deg bend to go down, then another 90 deg bend to go under, then another 90 deg bend to go up and over the skimmer... add that to salty water plus some time and you have a recipe for a cracked cable.... not impressed.

Having the local Canadian dealer for royal exclusiv go belly up a few years ago, i am in what you call 'stuck in **** with no paddle'. Did contact the company in Germany; told me to replace at motor block at my own cost. Us supplier will not have it in stock till end of march. Or order from Germany and get it sooner but with a 90 euro shipping fee....

So will try the tape for a quick fix now and decide to wait or order motor block...

Not very happy. If the motor is built to last but the cord isn't, then it's not built to last!

Unread 02/16/2017, 12:14 PM   #13
tenurepro
Registered Member

Pss. Yes skimmer would be plugged into an apex power bar that is plugged into a GFCI outlet. I test the outlet every month. I'll also get in the habit of cutting power to skimmer via Apex before any tank maintenance till I get replacement block

Unread 02/16/2017, 05:40 PM   #14
ericarenee
Registered Member

https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-Marine-.../dp/B000QCPKE8

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-515PR...ug+replacement

easy fix.

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2017, 07:42 PM   #15
marioensf
Registered Member

I think there should be a safety recall, Have you considered filing to the correct gvmt. agency?
I have the mini160 but have not taken the bottom pieces apart and now that I see your issue with the pump I believe a formal complaint should be submitted.
It is a fire, electric shock and death by electrocution hazard!
You are right to be upset, expensive piece of equipment, maybe time to make some noise? Who knows how many pumps due to the stress on the cord by design flaw have cracked and exposed the wires.
Easy solution by Royal Exclusiv "buy an expensive pump" when the issue had to be dealth with in a completely different way...

https://www.cpsc.gov/#

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
Ps... I agree that getting a replacement pump is the best scenario... but that is $600+... the pump in question is a red dragon pump for the mini bubble king 160 .... yes... they can make a killer pump but the way the cable exits the skimmer is a design flow in my opinion. You have to force the cable into a 90 deg bend to go down, then another 90 deg bend to go under, then another 90 deg bend to go up and over the skimmer... add that to salty water plus some time and you have a recipe for a cracked cable.... not impressed.

Having the local Canadian dealer for royal exclusiv go belly up a few years ago, i am in what you call 'stuck in **** with no paddle'. Did contact the company in Germany; told me to replace at motor block at my own cost. Us supplier will not have it in stock till end of march. Or order from Germany and get it sooner but with a 90 euro shipping fee....

So will try the tape for a quick fix now and decide to wait or order motor block...

Not very happy. If the motor is built to last but the cord isn't, then it's not built to last!

marioensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 11:59 AM   #16
JoeMomma
Registered Member

Isn't the motor block of a red dragon pump not just a laguna? I had to replace the motor in my Vertex Alpha 200 and just the motor block cost me around $150 from a pet supplier in the Calgary area. For my pump it was the luguna 1350's motor block (formerly the laguna 1500).

Edit, here is the link. The base, volute and impeller just fit on super easy.
https://www.homesalive.ca/laguna-max...ump-motor.html

Last edited by JoeMomma; 02/21/2017 at 12:13 PM.
JoeMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 12:41 PM   #17
marioensf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMomma View Post
Isn't the motor block of a red dragon pump not just a laguna? I had to replace the motor in my Vertex Alpha 200 and just the motor block cost me around $150 from a pet supplier in the Calgary area. For my pump it was the luguna 1350's motor block (formerly the laguna 1500).

Edit, here is the link. The base, volute and impeller just fit on super easy.
https://www.homesalive.ca/laguna-max...ump-motor.html
It is indeed a Laguna based pump; issue is when you open your wallet to buy something expensive, you don't expect certain issues. Imagine the airbag recall for many car makers all over the world, consumer can get it fixed right?

Unread 02/21/2017, 07:44 PM   #18
TimFountain
Registered Member

I am going to suggest #4.

4. Do nothing.

This is the outer sheath and is there for structural rigidity. Almost all of the suggestions above are not going to give you the insulation the original sheath provided and IMHO it doesn't really matter. Just use as-is and ensure the GFCI is working and your titanium grounding plug is plugged in.

Now if you start seeing breakdown in the individual conductors that are inside the sheath then it is time to say adios.

TimFountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 07:57 PM   #19
WiDataTech
Registered Member

Well i certainly wouldn't recommend the "do nothing" advice. If water can touch that white insulation on the wire, it can certainly make its way into the housing. Like others above mentioned-- cut the end off, use the appropriate sized heat shrink, a new end on the cord and you should be good to go for a long time.

I enjoy long walks on the fairway.

Current Tank Info: 28 gal cube with 2 O. clowns, 58 gal in the works.
WiDataTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 11:42 PM   #20
marioensf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDataTech View Post
Well i certainly wouldn't recommend the "do nothing" advice. If water can touch that white insulation on the wire, it can certainly make its way into the housing. Like others above mentioned-- cut the end off, use the appropriate sized heat shrink, a new end on the cord and you should be good to go for a long time.
Yup, I was thinking the same, the outer is sealed with the epoxy but the inner is a way for water to travel all the way in.

Unread 02/22/2017, 04:15 PM   #21
tenurepro
Registered Member

Thanks guys.. great tip about the laguna... wish I realized that.

I don't think doing nothing is a good idea. The salt would just make the sheath of the live wires brittle, and may leak water into the motor.

I have been doing two things in parallel:
1) short term solution - fix wire: did 4 coats of liquid electrical tape, gave it a good 3 to 4 days cure time (recommend is 12 I think), then wrapped it really well with silicone tape suggested by some here. Let that cure for 2 days (recommended is one day - I like to err on the side of caution). I am planing to test the motor tonight... will update.
2) long term solution - get replacement motor block. Customer service got back to me right away with us branch part number, but they were out of stock in the us (till late march). So I placed an order from Germany last Friday, which arrive today due for delivery tomorrow. It's pricy - double the cost of the laguna, but wanted to do something fast in case I couldn't repair the broken wire.
3) longer term: after the emergency of the skimmer pump is solved and the skimmer is back online, I plan to write letter to royal exclusive and the appropriate authorities to complain. I don't know the failure rate of these pumps, and certainly i could have just gotten a bum wire. But I think this is a serious issue (forcing the wire to bend 90deg very abruptly puts a lot of stress, which combined with constant exposure to salt water -> failure).

Thanks all!

Unread 02/22/2017, 07:16 PM   #22
tenurepro
Registered Member

Update: The liquid electrical tape + silicone tape appeared to have sealed the outer sheath. Ran the pump in a bucket in the bathroom, plugged to a gfci protected outlet. Ran fine, gfci didn't trip... Stuck my hand in the water, did not get zapped. I am tempted to hook up the skimmer but will likely wait for the new motor block to be delivered tomorrow. Will keep the old motor as a backup