Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/11/2019, 12:41 PM   #1
j.falk
Registered Member

Question Live sand? What would happen if...

...I put live sand in a new tank, filled it up with saltwater and let it sit without any type of filtration or powerheads turned on? Would the live sand die, foul out the water and start stinking or would everything be fine? I won't be adding any livestock to it...just the sand and saltwater.

I'm asking because my filter is scheduled to be delivered this coming Tuesday but I wanted to get the majority of things set up over the weekend since I'm home from work and will have the time to do it. Would it hurt anything to not have any oxygen being produced in the tank for a couple of days?

Last edited by j.falk; 04/11/2019 at 12:48 PM.
j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2019, 12:52 PM   #2
Orsamax
Registered Member

What would keep you from either using an old "under powered" filter from an old tank or just buying a cheap one from Petco or something to keep the water moving until your (presumably larger and more expensive) filter came in on Tuesday? I'm not sure, to answer your question...but I don't think sitting salt water is a good thing

Unread 04/11/2019, 12:59 PM   #3
j.falk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsamax View Post
What would keep you from either using an old "under powered" filter from an old tank or just buying a cheap one from Petco or something to keep the water moving until your (presumably larger and more expensive) filter came in on Tuesday? I'm not sure, to answer your question...but I don't think sitting salt water is a good thing
This is my only tank. I took my old tank down a year ago and sold everything.

Cheapest filter I saw at Petsmart was $40.00. I really don't want to spend that on something I'll only be using for a couple of days.

How's saltwater sitting in a garbage can without aeration any different than sitting in a fish tank for a couple of days? My concern isn't the water...but the live sand fouling out the tank.

Unread 04/11/2019, 01:13 PM   #4
Orsamax
Registered Member

I agree, it isn't the water, it's the sand that will be sitting in stagnant water. I wouldn't get a filter, I'd get some sort of pump or even just air pump and air stone to create some oxygenation and flow. Just my recommendation.

Unread 04/11/2019, 01:35 PM   #5
Icewing726
Registered Member

First, the live sand is sitting in a bag right now with no filtration or aeration sooooo theres that.

Second, I wouldn't worry about it much. Using a product like Bio Spira gets that initial cycle done without any of that live stuff or weeks of sitting.
1- I did it on a 150 gallon with 55 gallon sump.
2- Added several large fish faster then most finish their cycle.
3- I did do double the recommended in the first week just to be sure.
4- Never saw ammonia, never saw nitrites, nitrates were all I've ever dealt with.

Edit: Not sure I would trust that method to sensitive fish though. But then again if you're just starting I wouldn't recommend sensitive fish period.

Icewing726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2019, 01:39 PM   #6
Orsamax
Registered Member

Icewing, good call on the bag of "live" sand. I made the assumption that OP had a source for live sand like a buddy or something, wasn't even thinking about the store bought bags of "live" sand.

Disregard my previous posts! Thanks

Unread 04/11/2019, 01:46 PM   #7
j.falk
Registered Member

Yeah, it's just a bag of CaribSea Arag Alive.

Unread 04/11/2019, 02:48 PM   #8
FoxFace Fish
Registered Member

Buy 2 10$ power head from amazon next day shipping

Current Tank Info: Reason I am broke as a joke
FoxFace Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2019, 03:18 PM   #9
j.falk
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFace Fish View Post
Buy 2 10$ power head from amazon next day shipping
I already have some power heads coming in tomorrow morning. Was hoping to use the filter to pull the sand silt from the water before using the power heads in the tank.

Unread 04/11/2019, 06:45 PM   #10
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Not necessary. The cloud from the sand will actually settle in the tank over a couple of days. If that’s the only reason you are buying the filter I would skip it.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2019, 05:24 AM   #11
j.falk
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Reef View Post
Not necessary. The cloud from the sand will actually settle in the tank over a couple of days. If that’s the only reason you are buying the filter I would skip it.
Cool. I'll go ahead and hang onto the filter in case I ever need it down the road.

I went ahead and set the aquarium up last night and as of today, it's 50% clear already. It's settling out a lot quicker than my last setup did.

Unread 04/12/2019, 07:25 AM   #12
tjm9331
Registered Member

Could always use the filter on your quarantine tank.

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2019, 11:00 AM   #13
j.falk
Registered Member

I put a powerhead in the aquarium today and now everything is stirred up and cloudy again. It was clear this morning when nothing was running on it.

Unread 04/14/2019, 11:13 AM   #14
j.falk
Registered Member

Yesterday I added the little pouch of liquid clarifier to the aquarium and it cleared up overnight. The tank was crystal clear this morning. Everything looked great.

Then I checked the salinity...which was a little on the high side. So, I poured in a tiny bit of water to dilute the salinity and now the tank is back to being cloudy again. Should I just go ahead and put the filter on the tank and run it for awhile to pull all the fine particles out or is this something that will eventually take care of itself?

It seems that every time I adjust something in the tank it stirs things up again and it goes back to being cloudy. Is this a common issue with Arag Alive Fiji pink live sand? Should I pull all of that sand out and switch it to something that is more coarse?

If I remember correctly, last time I used Ocean's Direct live sand and once it cleared up I never had the cloudy water issue again. Then again I also ran an Aqua C Remora on that tank which I'm pretty sure pulled all the fine particles of sand out of the water column.

Unread 04/14/2019, 03:32 PM   #15
on the spot
Registered Member

A little cloudy from silt early in the process won't harm anything but you. I suggest yoga.

or netflix.

HTH

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2019, 12:07 PM   #16
Orsamax
Registered Member

Lol, yoga...