Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/16/2017, 09:05 AM   #1
SaltyMember
Premium Member

Some pics of my horses

Hi, I just wanted to share some pics of my seahorses since it has been over a year since I’ve had them and they have grown significantly since then. The horses are 3 erectus from Seahorse Source 2 females and one male. They are in a 65 gallon tank with 20 gallon sump. Live rock filtration and skimmer. Battling a major hair algae outbreak right now so that’s why I don’t have a full tank pic to show. When I get things under control I will post. Note the very pregnant male pic. He gave birth a few days after that photo.
IMG_0020.jpgIMG_0022.jpgIMG_2260.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2042.jpg (45.2 KB, 148 views)
SaltyMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 08:43 PM   #2
vlangel
Registered Member

Nice pics. Your seahorses are looking good.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2017, 01:27 PM   #3
SaltyMember
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
Nice pics. Your seahorses are looking good.

Thanks vangel. So far so good. Just tying to keep them healthy.

Unread 11/17/2017, 02:15 PM   #4
Fiver
Registered Member

Beautiful seahorses. A local hobbyist had some fry for sale recently (hippocampus erectus), and I considered picking up a few, but the feeding issue over long vacations seemed like too much of a hassle.

I just travel enough that it would be difficult to keep them well-fed, and I just don't know anyone I would trust with my tanks AND my house. How do you manage?

Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2017, 05:31 PM   #5
vlangel
Registered Member

20171117_175645 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr
A pic of all 3 of my ponies.

Unread 11/17/2017, 10:56 PM   #6
SaltyMember
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
Beautiful seahorses. A local hobbyist had some fry for sale recently (hippocampus erectus), and I considered picking up a few, but the feeding issue over long vacations seemed like too much of a hassle.

I just travel enough that it would be difficult to keep them well-fed, and I just don't know anyone I would trust with my tanks AND my house. How do you manage?
Thank Fiver, fortunately I have a cousin that lives close to me and she feeds my fish and seahorse tanks when I go on vacation. I understand how big a challenge it would be if you don't have someone you can trust to do it for you.

Unread 11/17/2017, 10:59 PM   #7
SaltyMember
Premium Member

Quote:
20171117_175645 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr
A pic of all 3 of my ponies.
Very nice vangel. Love the Cirri on your horses! Also, your tank looks immaculately clean. Is that a starboard bottom?

Unread 11/18/2017, 08:45 AM   #8
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMember View Post
Very nice vangel. Love the Cirri on your horses! Also, your tank looks immaculately clean. Is that a starboard bottom?
Thanks SaltyMember, I too love the cirri on Delilah. She is only just a year old or so and I am really hoping she keeps it. Her buddy Samson would love to dance with her but she seems to be a late bloomer, he usually ends up dancing with the matriarch, Eve.

I painted the bottom of the tank from underneath when I was building it. My 2 previous seahorse tanks had sandbeds, (which I love) but I decided that husbandry would be better attained with a bb. I love the ease of the powerheads blasting the bottom and keeping particles in suspension. What does fall to the floor swirls toward the front of the tank where it is easily syphoned out.

Unread 11/18/2017, 08:48 AM   #9
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:

20171103_211142 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

Here is a FTS of my tank. In my opinion the over all appearance is a bit sterile and not as natural as a sandbed. To keep healthy seahorses it was a concession I was willing to make.

Last edited by vlangel; 11/18/2017 at 08:56 AM.
Unread 11/18/2017, 08:50 AM   #10
SaltyMember
Premium Member

Vlangel painting the bottom white is an interesting idea. I can appreciate the ease of maintenance with the bare bottom tank. I just have a hard time giving up my sand, lol. BTW I apologize, I realize I have been misspelling your name in my previous posts.

Unread 11/18/2017, 08:38 PM   #11
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Vlangel painting the bottom white is an interesting idea. I can appreciate the ease of maintenance with the bare bottom tank. I just have a hard time giving up my sand, lol. BTW I apologize, I realize I have been misspelling your name in my previous posts.

It looks white but I actually painted it a yellow ochre color. Its crazy how the T5s influence the color. Hey, I totally get you not wanting to part with your sandbed. If I had not been fighting cyano and a sick stallion, I might still have sand.
No apology necessay for misspelling my username. I didnt even notice until you said something, ha ha! The vl is because of my other passion...I have a Suzuki volusia motorcycle. A VL800.

Unread 12/04/2017, 11:46 AM   #12
urban_s
Registered Member

I know of a local breeder.....I will be getting some because of this post.

urban_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 10:14 PM   #13
SimplyDani
Registered Member

Smile

He's Huge!

SimplyDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 01:28 AM   #14
Barber Reefer
Registered Member

looks great

Barber Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 01:17 AM   #15
socalireefdood
Registered Member

nice and fat! is he pregnant ;P

socalireefdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2018, 05:22 PM   #16
RonV
Registered Member

Quote:
20171103_211142 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

Here is a FTS of my tank. In my opinion the over all appearance is a bit sterile and not as natural as a sandbed. To keep healthy seahorses it was a concession I was willing to make.
Beautiful, I love your setup.

RonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2018, 09:53 PM   #17
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonV View Post
Beautiful, I love your setup.
Thanks Ron. I set it up to be husbandry friendly with a bb but I missed the sanded too much and recently added one to the tank.

https://flic.kr/p/23Eji5m

Unread 08/11/2018, 03:23 PM   #18
donnadexter
Registered Member

@SaltyMember and @vlangel - do you have a good breeder or do you raise up your fry to sell? My local breeder had a bad bacteria outbreak and is out for a spell to sterilize her systems. I have three - two females and one male. I just recently (2 months ago) moved them to my 180 so I would like to add to my herd now. I love your ponies!

donnadexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2018, 09:38 AM   #19
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnadexter View Post
@SaltyMember and @vlangel - do you have a good breeder or do you raise up your fry to sell? My local breeder had a bad bacteria outbreak and is out for a spell to sterilize her systems. I have three - two females and one male. I just recently (2 months ago) moved them to my 180 so I would like to add to my herd now. I love your ponies!
I like Seahorse Source. All my seahorses have come from there except one. They always arrive in good shape, are well packaged and acclimate well. My matriarch came from Ocean Rider and their seahorses are good too but cost significantly more without the personal service.

Unread 08/15/2018, 08:23 PM   #20
mredhorse
Registered Member

Attachment 394773

mredhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 08:26 PM   #21
mredhorse
Registered Member

[QUOTE=mredhorse;25483672]Attachment 394773[/QUOTE

Nice pics!

Can someone open this attachment and ID please.
I think it is short snout--aka Mediterranean or H. H.

It was sold as Juvi H. Erectus (I think not)

mredhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 07:26 PM   #22
vlangel
Registered Member

[QUOTE=mredhorse;25483677]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredhorse View Post
Attachment 394773[/QUOTE

Nice pics!

Can someone open this attachment and ID please.
I think it is short snout--aka Mediterranean or H. H.

It was sold as Juvi H. Erectus (I think not)
Sorry but I could not open it.

Unread 08/22/2018, 04:09 AM   #23
SaltyMember
Premium Member

Donna, sorry for the late response. I use Seahorse Source also. You can’t go wrong with them imo.

Unread 09/18/2018, 11:59 PM   #24
ReefMonkey714
Registered Member

Love your seahorses, your male is beautiful. I have two, it’s been about 6 months now and they’re doing great so far. What’s your feeding schedule/diet look like?

ReefMonkey714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2018, 10:13 AM   #25
rayjay
Registered Member

Welcome to the hobby.
I have progressed over the years since I started into seahorses in 2002, to the point I now feed four times a day.
I found that the seahorses appear healthier and their immune systems seem to be better now that they get more frequent feedings.
As seahorses have NO stomach and only a very rudimentary digestive tract, fewer and larger feedings mean the seahorse is NOT getting enough benefit from what it eats, especially when eating a given amount at a faster rate that pushes the food through the digestive tract even faster.
Best OTHER thing you can do to help ensure long term survival of your seahorses is to extreme husbandry and water changes because seahorses are very prone to bacterial disease, and, while ALL your test kits may say the water is IDEAL, it really may NOT be for seahorses. THERE ARE NO TEST KITS available to the hobbyist that will tell you when the water has degraded to the point bacteria is coming into play so the only tell is when a seahorses shows signs of disease, which sometimes is too late to treat.
Also, as these bacteria multiply exponentially above 74°F, the 74°F becomes the high target for water temperature to help keep the bacteria at bay.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote