Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2018, 02:33 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

hikari mysis

Hi,
My last packages (bought at same time) of hikari mysis (the small type, salt water??). the same as this: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bio-p...mp-hikari.html << but not bought from BRS had VERY small shrimp, that floated away from where I put them for feeding. Making a mess, ending up with more shrimp being lost and polluting tank than being eaten. Very frustrating.
**Where do you guys get your mysis, RECENTLY? I dont think it should depend on where, though. B/c mine was LFS that had great hikari before.
I was thinking to order it from a large online vendor b/c they have a larger throughput and the 'bad batch' should be out of their inventory (?). Though it's a lot more $ b/c of shipping, but worth it in the end.

Thanks

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2018, 03:27 PM   #2
vlangel
Registered Member

I get mine at lfs, although I prefer San Francisco Bay as Hikari can be a little small for my seahorses.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 09:59 AM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

I'll get one pack from LFS today and see if the sink or swim . If they 'swim' then i'll just order a few packs from DrsFosterssmith.com << had good experiencce with them last time. I use hikari b/c seahorsesource reommends them, and I love seahorsesource . But I'll look at san fran also if hikari continues to float around b/c the horses are not gettng enough food overall if this goes on.
thanks

Unread 08/22/2018, 04:34 PM   #4
Rispa
Registered Member

My understanding is that they are different sizes depending on the season they are collected and frozen in. This could be the problem

Rispa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 11:40 PM   #5
ReefMonkey714
Registered Member

When I was using the hilkari mysis they would range in size from one package to another. Sometimes they were pretty small so I switched over to PE mysis. It took my seashores some time to get to eat them since they were much larger but now they eat it like champs. Takes a couple of bites to down them but they do

ReefMonkey714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2018, 08:46 PM   #6
CTaylor
Registered Member

Mine (one left now) like PE better. I have only one of my 3 left now I think because the hikari was so light and floated around so much the SH didnt get enough food. I was advised by seahorse source (where mine came from) to not feed the PE often because it was too fatty, or something along those lines and the SH have trouble digesting it. Though ocean rider (who I got SH from a long time ago << with horrible customer service (off subject, at least then they were horrible lol) advised to feed PE. So hmmm.