Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/28/2020, 10:49 AM   #1
PeteGiwojna
Registered Member

Smile Corona virus update: Ocean Rider is still operating!

Fellows seahorse lovers:

With the entire State of Hawaii in lockdown, and because of all of the travel bans and restrictions that are now in place throughout the United States, many hobbyists are wondering if Ocean Rider is still conducting business.

The seahorse farm is indeed closed to the general public and no tours are taking place, but I am happy to report that Ocean Rider is still filling orders and shipping seahorses throughout the Continental United States. In fact, they have more gorgeous seahorses available right now than ever before and are doing their part to make being stuck at home a little more palatable by offering some special incentives to hobbyists.

For instance, Ocean Rider is again providing a portion of live red feeder shrimp (Halocaridina rubra) along with their Special Packages, free of charge, and is also offering free upgrades from Mustangs to colorful Sunbursts for preferred customers.

With school canceled indefinitely for many students and many people now working from home and practicing social distancing, this is a great time to devote more time to our aquariums and seahorse tanks, and Ocean Rider is currently offering enough Specials and bargain deals to satisfy everyone’s needs and interests in that regard.

So this is the perfect opportunity to get a beautiful new seahorse or two to add color and interest in your aquarium while having your ponies delivered directly to your doorstep. That’s right, even if you are “sheltering in place,” your new seahorses will arrive directly at your front door, and you never have to leave home to get them.

Stay safe and stay healthy, everybody!

Happy Trails!
Pete Giwojna, Ocean Rider Tech Support

PeteGiwojna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2020, 09:41 AM   #2
rayjay
Registered Member

BEFORE anyone orders seahorses from ANYWHERE right now, be sure the LFSs can supply everything you need under current conditions.
I have seen postings on seahorse groups on facebook where frozen mysis is in limited to no supply in some areas.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2020, 10:27 AM   #3
PeteGiwojna
Registered Member

Availability of frozen Mysis? Feeding options for seahorses…

Dear hobbyists:

For those of you who may be concerned about a shortage of frozen Mysis to feed your seahorses, I would like to report that I personally contacted Piscine Energetics yesterday and they are conducting business as usual and still shipping frozen Mysis relicta to all of their usual outlets in the United States.

Also, regarding the ongoing lockdown due to concerns about corona virus, it should be reassuring to know that pet shops and stores are considered essential businesses (our beloved pat still gotta eat and be cared for properly) and will remain open.

Finally, there are a wide variety of live foods suitable for seahorses that can be cultured by home hobbyists relatively easily. If that’s an option any of you would like to pursue, just contact me via e-mail (petegiwojna@aol.com), and I will send you a comprehensive document that discusses all such live foods and how they can be collected and cultured in considerable detail, and I would be happy to send you all of the pertinent information.

Stay safe and healthy and keep your ponies well fed, everybody!

Respectfully,
Pete Giwojna, Ocean Rider Tech Support

PeteGiwojna is offline   Reply With Quote