Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2018, 03:37 PM   #1
xclusive252
NY Reef Club member

Local seahorses Breeding HELP!!!

Hello all. I was able to collect 2 pairs of seahorses from the long island shore this year. They are doing well in there new aquarium and are eating frozen food np 3 times a day. 1 of the males looks like he has babies in his pouch and I was wondering has anyone ever had success in raising the Fry. I have the ability to harvest baby brine and rotifers along with live phyto. I am looking for maybe some guidance. If I am successful I will donate to the site as long as the SH keep producing.

xclusive252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2018, 09:41 AM   #2
rayjay
Registered Member

Many people have varying methods that work for them which is the important part.
If you have what is termed NORTHERN erectus as opposed to the more commonly SOLD IN TRADE SOUTHERN erectus then the fry will be pelagic and need probably enriched rotifers to start, with small copepods a beneficial addition to the starting food. After a week to ten days you can switch to enriched artemia nauplii.
After that, it basically depends on how fast they grow, and each individual batch can differ, as to when to wean them onto frozen mysis.
If you have Southern erectus then the benthic fry can be started right off with enriched artemia nauplii.
I've never had Northern erectus fry, but the reidi fry I raised are VERY similar in their needs.
You don't have much time to prepare as even from egg transfer, the gestation period is most likely to AVERAGE around 17 days. Many times, the male releases what we call "warning fry or babies" the day before the major release. Usually release occurs early before lights come on or very shortly after.
Bacteria is the biggest killer so extreme cleanliness works best, even more so that with the adults.
Keep temperatures in the 68° to 74°F range to help retard bacteria influence.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote