Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/18/2018, 06:46 AM   #26
vlangel
Registered Member

I have been following and am happy that OR made things right. Refunding your money is the best thing they could do. I am still interested in whether the ponies are responding favorably to treatment?

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2018, 09:53 AM   #27
rayjay
Registered Member

Glad to hear that you received a refund.
As for the half moon, NONE of mine have the half moon like in your picture.
There is a slight slope down from the two spines but between the slopes it is relatively flat like you "filed off" the lower part of the half moon.
Let us know how the treatment works for the seahorses.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2018, 11:19 AM   #28
kizanne
Registered Member

they are eating small amounts now and we are having some small poops. The side doesn't look better or worse. The Furan isn't here yet. But I am treating. They are being more active and occasionally they are eating frozen mysid. I stopped the brine but still have live grass shrimp in there. I'll probably add some more brine tonight just to make sure they are eating enough. The female seems to just love the brine and she is not so thrilled with the frozen. Both are a little more mobile/energetic so I'm hopeful. I"m using Melaleuca which I have used in the past with great results so hopefully that will help. When the Furan arrives if they aren't doing better I'll switch to Furan. I usually don't have sick fish so I don't keep Furan on hand. I ordered a second one though to keep on hand for the future.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2018, 11:22 AM   #29
kizanne
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
I have been following and am happy that OR made things right. Refunding your money is the best thing they could do. I am still interested in whether the ponies are responding favorably to treatment?
Yes I was happy with that. I wasn't happy I had to file credit card dispute paperwork to get their attention. And half wondered if they only refunded because they figured they'd lose the dispute. What if I hadn't filed? Would they have bothered to even respond to my emails? or phone call? It was obvious by the email I got they hadn't read any of the email I sent them.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
Unread 12/19/2018, 11:28 AM   #30
kizanne
Registered Member

ON a side note. I found some Barbouri's elsewhere and ordered them. I sent a note making sure they understood I expected a zebra snout and a boy and a girl when something is listed as a pair.

I still hope to breed regular Barbouri. I may breed these brown/red ones (I mean they are a boy and girl can't really stop them and I don't kill babies so...) but I'll make sure any customer knows what they are getting.

I think the boy might be holding now and I'm worried about the treatments hurting the babies. I don't mind losing the babies but I"m not sure I'm ready to try to evacuate a pouch of a sick fish.

Unread 12/19/2018, 11:54 AM   #31
kizanne
Registered Member

Oh and I'm still not sure they aren't hybrids.

Unread 12/22/2018, 11:22 AM   #32
kizanne
Registered Member

Well the boy sent out his babies today. Most don't appear to be doing to well the medicine is probably too harsh for them.

Maybe he can get better faster now with less of a load. She is already trying to entice him. I hope the shortness of the tank discourages more babies for now. He needs to heal.

Unread 01/04/2019, 09:32 PM   #33
kizanne
Registered Member

Well close to 2 weeks of Furan haven't made a difference. While he's eating better and moving around some, his side isn't getting better. I don't know if he's got a antibiotic resistant infection or what.

The babies didn't make it. I don't know if I should continue the Furan treatments or if I should switch back to melaleuca which I"ve had luck with in the past. Try a different medication like erythrimycin (sp?)

Unread 01/04/2019, 09:50 PM   #34
rayjay
Registered Member

I wouldn't expect it to be healed yet. While the antibiotics can be working just fine, it takes a LONG time for the actual healing to complete.
Just imagine say if you had serious burns to the same proportion of your body that this bacteria has affected on the seahorse. How long would you expect it to take to heal on you?
I've never had one with that large an infection, but ones with just the tip of tails can take many weeks just to either start healing or loose the tip and the new end to seal off.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2019, 03:22 PM   #35
kizanne
Registered Member

Yeah my issue is I'm not sure I see any improvement other than behavior. I can tell he's feeling better than the first few days but I'd expect some improvement say the edges to start to heal or something.

Unread 01/06/2019, 04:53 PM   #36
teddscau
Registered Member

Are there any fish vets or piscine pathology labs near you? It might be best to get a skin scraping or something done so it can be cultured and examined under a microscope. You'll be able to more accurately medicate the illness if you know exactly what bacterium is causing it.

Dotty the firefish, Delilah and Little Henry Ocellaris clownfish, Pixel (convict tang) and Darwin (blue tang), pyjama cardinalfish, Riku and Kenji the orchid and elongate dottybacks, and Jeremy (yello

Current Tank Info: 160g reef tank with mushrooms, leathers, zoas, SPS corals, NPS corals, firefish, a school of pyjama cardinalfish, a pair of designer Ocellaris, two tangs, a striped blenny, two dottybacks, and a watchman goby
teddscau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2019, 07:20 PM   #37
kizanne
Registered Member

No we are a small town. We have one good marine fish store. And it's more a coral store than fish store.

Unread 01/07/2019, 06:59 PM   #38
teddscau
Registered Member

Hmm, wonder if it might be possible to mail a sample to a lab. When I need further pathology work done on my fish, my vet sends the corpse off to a lab in PEI. Well, obviously there's gonna be a lab far closer to you since you live in Florida. You could try contacting the University of Florida, Segrest Farms... Are you sure there aren't any reptile vets or anything near you? I don't know. Just spitballing here.

Dotty the firefish, Delilah and Little Henry Ocellaris clownfish, Pixel (convict tang) and Darwin (blue tang), pyjama cardinalfish, Riku and Kenji the orchid and elongate dottybacks, and Jeremy (yello

Current Tank Info: 160g reef tank with mushrooms, leathers, zoas, SPS corals, NPS corals, firefish, a school of pyjama cardinalfish, a pair of designer Ocellaris, two tangs, a striped blenny, two dottybacks, and a watchman goby
teddscau is offline   Reply With Quote